Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Connect Retro-fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect Retro-fit

Is it possible to perform an Audi Connect retro-fit to a 2017 Q7 Prestige/Technik?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by pmxant
Is it possible to perform an Audi Connect retro-fit to a 2017 Q7 Prestige/Technik?
As far as I'm aware, every Audi Q7 comes with ability to connect to Audi Connect, but that's in US. Is ROW different?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
As far as I'm aware, every Audi Q7 comes with ability to connect to Audi Connect, but that's in US. Is ROW different?
I think OP is in Canada where we get a neutered version of MMI with no google maps and no full Audi Connect.

I'm not sure but suspect that even your US version will not be fully supported if you drive into Canada due to data roaming restrictions. Audi is really dragging their heels in offering a true NAR version of the system/service.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

That would make sense. I got thrown by 'retrofit' remark.

Last edited by gsobol; 07-13-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
I think OP is in Canada where we get a neutered version of MMI with no google maps and no full Audi Connect.

I'm not sure but suspect that even your US version will not be fully supported if you drive into Canada due to data roaming restrictions. Audi is really dragging their heels in offering a true NAR version of the system/service.
Any idea why Audi Canada is dragging their feet on this? Which brings me to my next complaint, roaming has been abolished in Europe. Isn't it time we did the same in North America?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I spent all weekend hacking the MMI and so far, all the cabling is in place and the SIM slot is fully connected. What are missing is the software components. If there is a good documentation or anyone can copy the EU code somewhere, I think someone can put it together. I don't have enough knowledge get get further. Canada peeps, the software is USA (NA) and you will not be able to roam unless you are on ATT network. They won't let you roam into Rogers since it's an exclusive contract. Yes, it's kinda illegal in the USA for exclusive lock in if you own the device outright but the political climate won't allow for government to force Audi or ATT to unlock.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GSOD
I spent all weekend hacking the MMI and so far, all the cabling is in place and the SIM slot is fully connected. What are missing is the software components. If there is a good documentation or anyone can copy the EU code somewhere, I think someone can put it together. I don't have enough knowledge get get further. Canada peeps, the software is USA (NA) and you will not be able to roam unless you are on ATT network. They won't let you roam into Rogers since it's an exclusive contract. Yes, it's kinda illegal in the USA for exclusive lock in if you own the device outright but the political climate won't allow for government to force Audi or ATT to unlock.
Would you be able to share photos where the SIM slot is? I will try to get documentation. Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glove compartment, mounted to the top between the two SD cards. Its labeled as SIM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For Canadians, BMW & Volvo (don't know about Mercedes) both use AT&T for both US and Canada - they seem to have figured out how to do a cross-border data partnership that works okay. Not sure what Audi's issue is.

In in the meantime, unless Audi figures out a proper solution or the enthusiast community figures out a workaround I'll be shopping the competition to replace my Q7 TDI in the coming months.