Audi Connect Retro-fit - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Connect Retro-fit

Reply

 
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 16
Default Audi Connect Retro-fit

Is it possible to perform an Audi Connect retro-fit to a 2017 Q7 Prestige/Technik?
pmxant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM
  #2
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by pmxant View Post
Is it possible to perform an Audi Connect retro-fit to a 2017 Q7 Prestige/Technik?
As far as I'm aware, every Audi Q7 comes with ability to connect to Audi Connect, but that's in US. Is ROW different?
gsobol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 PM
  #3
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Suburbs of Toronto, Canada
Posts: 215
Default

Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
As far as I'm aware, every Audi Q7 comes with ability to connect to Audi Connect, but that's in US. Is ROW different?
I think OP is in Canada where we get a neutered version of MMI with no google maps and no full Audi Connect.

I'm not sure but suspect that even your US version will not be fully supported if you drive into Canada due to data roaming restrictions. Audi is really dragging their heels in offering a true NAR version of the system/service.
Canadian Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:42 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 240
Default

That would make sense. I got thrown by 'retrofit' remark.

Last edited by gsobol; 07-13-2017 at 06:26 AM.
gsobol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:16 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker View Post
I think OP is in Canada where we get a neutered version of MMI with no google maps and no full Audi Connect.

I'm not sure but suspect that even your US version will not be fully supported if you drive into Canada due to data roaming restrictions. Audi is really dragging their heels in offering a true NAR version of the system/service.
Any idea why Audi Canada is dragging their feet on this? Which brings me to my next complaint, roaming has been abolished in Europe. Isn't it time we did the same in North America?
pmxant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM
  #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 36
Default

I spent all weekend hacking the MMI and so far, all the cabling is in place and the SIM slot is fully connected. What are missing is the software components. If there is a good documentation or anyone can copy the EU code somewhere, I think someone can put it together. I don't have enough knowledge get get further. Canada peeps, the software is USA (NA) and you will not be able to roam unless you are on ATT network. They won't let you roam into Rogers since it's an exclusive contract. Yes, it's kinda illegal in the USA for exclusive lock in if you own the device outright but the political climate won't allow for government to force Audi or ATT to unlock.
GSOD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 AM
  #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by GSOD View Post
I spent all weekend hacking the MMI and so far, all the cabling is in place and the SIM slot is fully connected. What are missing is the software components. If there is a good documentation or anyone can copy the EU code somewhere, I think someone can put it together. I don't have enough knowledge get get further. Canada peeps, the software is USA (NA) and you will not be able to roam unless you are on ATT network. They won't let you roam into Rogers since it's an exclusive contract. Yes, it's kinda illegal in the USA for exclusive lock in if you own the device outright but the political climate won't allow for government to force Audi or ATT to unlock.
Would you be able to share photos where the SIM slot is? I will try to get documentation. Thanks
pmxant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 AM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 36
Default

Glove compartment, mounted to the top between the two SD cards. Its labeled as SIM.
GSOD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 AM
  #9
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Suburbs of Toronto, Canada
Posts: 215
Default

For Canadians, BMW & Volvo (don't know about Mercedes) both use AT&T for both US and Canada - they seem to have figured out how to do a cross-border data partnership that works okay. Not sure what Audi's issue is.

In in the meantime, unless Audi figures out a proper solution or the enthusiast community figures out a workaround I'll be shopping the competition to replace my Q7 TDI in the coming months.
Canadian Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:46 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: