Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Options

I am in the process of purchasing a new Q7 (first time Audi owner) and I had some questions about the various options. We are planning to purchase the driver assist, vision, cold, and warm weather packages. My specific questions are around these options:
  • Bose versus base audio system? We are not audiophiles, but will we regret sticking with the base audio?
  • 19" versus 20" wheels? Aside from the looks, are there other noticeable functional differences with the ride or handling?
  • Rear side air bags? Are folks typically getting these or are they overkill? We do have two kids under 10.
  • RSE Prep? Aside from the cost, are there any negatives to getting this?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Get a Prestige with DAP and Cold Weather because you will want Bose and the 19s are just too small looking IMO. RSE prep isn't necessary, but may help resale. You should only get a loaded Premium plus if you are leasing because the residual is better, but if financing, a Prestige is a little cheaper than a loaded Premium Plus.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are a couple of other threads about RSE and rear side airbags with plenty of opinions. Check them out.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Get a Prestige with DAP and Cold Weather because you will want Bose and the 19s are just too small looking IMO. RSE prep isn't necessary, but may help resale. You should only get a loaded Premium plus if you are leasing because the residual is better, but if financing, a Prestige is a little cheaper than a loaded Premium Plus.
+1
Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joeinwisc
I am in the process of purchasing a new Q7 (first time Audi owner) and I had some questions about the various options. We are planning to purchase the driver assist, vision, cold, and warm weather packages. My specific questions are around these options:
  • Bose versus base audio system? We are not audiophiles, but will we regret sticking with the base audio?
  • 19" versus 20" wheels? Aside from the looks, are there other noticeable functional differences with the ride or handling?
  • Rear side air bags? Are folks typically getting these or are they overkill? We do have two kids under 10.
  • RSE Prep? Aside from the cost, are there any negatives to getting this?

Thanks for any input!
1. Bose vs Base Audio: The question you need to answer is: Do I appreciate good sound? Do you know what good sound is? Do you know what you're missing when you listen to music using your tiny portable boombox? If you answer all no then, most likely, you will be happy with base audio. Will you appreciate the added quality of Bose Audio, only you can tell. Remember that sound quality is very subjective. Some people don't hear the difference, some do and are very particular with sound quality. Hop into one of the demo units with Bose or even the B&O Audio available in an Audi dealership. If you notice an improvement in sound quality then decide whether you want to shell out extra money for better audio. If you do not spend too much time in your vehicle, you may find that it is not worth the extra expense to get upgraded audio.

2. Both 19" and 20" wheels will provide you with a harsher ride quality compared to 17" or 18" wheels simply because the smaller diameter wheels have more side wall to cushion impacts when the wheels go over a pot hole or road imperfections. Larger wheel diameters are more susceptible to wheel damage especially when going over larger pot holes. If you live in a place with bad roads, go for the smallest wheel diameter possible. Obviously, larger wheel diameters offer better eye candy compared to the smaller ones.

3. Rear Side Airbags: Why not. They don't cost much but they could save lives when needed. If it were me ordering a Q7, I would order it.

4. RSE Prep: I would not bother with it based from feedback from a Q7 Owner who has RSE in his vehicle. More detailed info and comment concerning the RSE can be read from this thread.

Last edited by plat27265; 05-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
This is the correct answer but I would do even if leasing. The HUD makes paying a bit more for Prestige worthwhile. Almost no one orders the rear side airbag. The RSE prep is more valuable for resale
Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will simply tell you what I ordered in March with a 6% supplier program discount and took delivery of about 4 hours ago:

Prestige
Florett Silver
Black Headliner
Nougat Brown
Layered Walnut
21" Wheels
Driver Asssist
Rear Airbags
All Weather Mats

I thought I'd ordered the burled vs layered walnut, but due to a miscommunication it came with the layered. When the snafu was discovered after the order was locked, the dealer was like, no worries, and ordered another with the corrected configuration. They gave me the right of first refusal on the original that I just took delivery of.

I didn't think I wanted the layered walnut after seeing several pictures online, but it looks so much better in person. Very happy with it.

Unrelated, but interesting comment from the dealer, "Regardless of wheel size, we now order all Q7's WITHOUT runflat tires."
Old 05-06-2016, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by saunderscc
I will simply tell you what I ordered in March with a 6% supplier program discount and took delivery of about 4 hours ago:

Prestige
Florett Silver
Black Headliner
Nougat Brown
Layered Walnut
21" Wheels
Driver Asssist
Rear Airbags
All Weather Mats

I thought I'd ordered the burled vs layered walnut, but due to a miscommunication it came with the layered. When the snafu was discovered after the order was locked, the dealer was like, no worries, and ordered another with the corrected configuration. They gave me the right of first refusal on the original that I just took delivery of.

I didn't think I wanted the layered walnut after seeing several pictures online, but it looks so much better in person. Very happy with it.

Unrelated, but interesting comment from the dealer, "Regardless of wheel size, we now order all Q7's WITHOUT runflat tires."
Congratulations on your Q7.

As for your dealer ordering Q7s, the 19" wheels are the only size they can option to be run flat or not. The 20" wheels are always run flat and there's no option to change that from the factory and the 21" wheels are always just normal tires.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Unrelated, but interesting comment from the dealer, "Regardless of wheel size, we now order all Q7's WITHOUT runflat tires."[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about the 19'' but 20'' cannot be ordered without a run flat. Also 21'' is non run flat summer tires only. This is as per my dealer.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ven7782
I am not sure about the 19'' but 20'' cannot be ordered without a run flat. Also 21'' is non run flat summer tires only. This is as per my dealer.
Correct, only the 19s have the option to be either.