Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 split in half

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Yes, it's in Russia. Yes, high speed was a major factor. Alcohol, more then likely (definitely since the driver fled the scene). Too bad we don't have the dashcam footage - maybe the driver took it with him

It's different than supercars as the internal structure, materials and forces are different with the mid engine mounted vehicles and front engine SUV such as Q. Q is a tank, and should have stayed wrapped around that pole or should have taken the pole with it, period. I bet we are looking at a frankencar and the result of such a shoddy reconstruction attempt.
Sounds like a garage physics explanation. The Q7 is far from a “tank” which can withstand missile and mortar attached. Enough speed with resistance from the weight of the object the Q7 hit at the right place could do what you see in that picture. No question.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not related to Q7 but from the its amazing that is still running dept. :
I think about the 9 min. mark you get a good view of the RV missing the passenger front quarter.

Then again I've also seen videos of guys basically driving around on rims sparks everywhere.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Yes, it's in Russia. Yes, high speed was a major factor. Alcohol, more then likely (definitely since the driver fled the scene). Too bad we don't have the dashcam footage - maybe the driver took it with him

It's different than supercars as the internal structure, materials and forces are different with the mid engine mounted vehicles and front engine SUV such as Q. Q is a tank, and should have stayed wrapped around that pole or should have taken the pole with it, period. I bet we are looking at a frankencar and the result of such a shoddy reconstruction attempt.
ANY passenger car when hit hard enough to a hard enough object will have the same fortune. Just search the internet and you'll find plenty of cars/SUVs of different brands with the same outcome.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
ANY passenger car when hit hard enough to a hard enough object will have the same fortune. Just search the internet and you'll find plenty of cars/SUVs of different brands with the same outcome.
You are right. Any vehicle going with enough speed hitting unmovable object can be effectively cut in half. I guess I'm looking through a prism of US roadside objects, where utility poles have breakaway bolts, weak points or collision arresters.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Sounds like a garage physics explanation. The Q7 is far from a “tank” which can withstand missile and mortar attached. Enough speed with resistance from the weight of the object the Q7 hit at the right place could do what you see in that picture. No question.
They don't mean a literal tank. They are refering to it being very tough vehicle. But cars are designed to crumple and crush in certain places to dissipate energy. But a pole can slice most vehicles if it is hit right and is going fast enough