Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?

Hi Guys, need some advice on picking a new SUV for wife. Somehow she decided to try a German vehicle this time and it has to be an SUV. Also she does not want to downsize (she currently drives a 3-row SUV). So this made my job very easy. Since I don't like MB at all, the choices left are Q7, X5, and maybe X3m and SQ5. So I am wondering whether anyone has tried the new X5 and can share some insight of the key differences between them. Since this is wife's car, opinions from female members (a very rare species in auto forums) are very welcome. Also this will be a purchase instead of lease, so any opinion on long-term ownership comparison is very helpful. We are going to do some test-driven during the holidays. It seems it should be a good time to buy a 2018 Q7. Probably too early to get a good deal for X5, right?

I can turn wrenches and fix most of the common stuff myself. However, no experience with German autos. But I am an avid tool collector. So special tools are not a problem. I am actually willing to pony up big bucks for high end ODB2 scanners if it is needed. Thanks a lot for the help and happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qqzj
Hi Guys, need some advice on picking a new SUV for wife. Somehow she decided to try a German vehicle this time and it has to be an SUV. Also she does not want to downsize (she currently drives a 3-row SUV). So this made my job very easy. Since I don't like MB at all, the choices left are Q7, X5, and maybe X3m and SQ5. So I am wondering whether anyone has tried the new X5 and can share some insight of the key differences between them. Since this is wife's car, opinions from female members (a very rare species in auto forums) are very welcome. Also this will be a purchase instead of lease, so any opinion on long-term ownership comparison is very helpful. We are going to do some test-driven during the holidays. It seems it should be a good time to buy a 2018 Q7. Probably too early to get a good deal for X5, right?

I can turn wrenches and fix most of the common stuff myself. However, no experience with German autos. But I am an avid tool collector. So special tools are not a problem. I am actually willing to pony up big bucks for high end ODB2 scanners if it is needed. Thanks a lot for the help and happy Thanksgiving!
My wife luvs her Q7, it drives like a car even though it's high enough to get a commanding view of the road. We purchased ours as well. Just keep in mind the Q7 gets a fairly serious update for MY20.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
My wife luvs her Q7, it drives like a car even though it's high enough to get a commanding view of the road. We purchased ours as well. Just keep in mind the Q7 gets a fairly serious update for MY20.
Thanks for the reply. May I ask which app on iPhone members here use to track the forum? I use Tapatalk for all the forums I follow. However, I cannot find AudiWorld in Tapatalk. I did find AudiZine, but it seems this forum is a more popular place, is this correct? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. May I ask which app on iPhone members here use to track the forum? I use Tapatalk for all the forums I follow. However, I cannot find AudiWorld in Tapatalk. I did find AudiZine, but it seems this forum is a more popular place, is this correct? Thanks.
No app for me...any browser works great (I have both apple/iPhone and pc stuff) no issues w/mobile site
Old 11-20-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I googled the news for 2020 Q7 and I was shocked. Is it still considered a 2nd gen Q7?

2020 Audi Q7 Review, Rumors, Changes, Price, Release date, Redesign

" The new 2020 Audi Q7 has been updated such that it now features an aluminum monocoque body. This new body style reduces the SUV’s overall weight by 700 pounds." Huge structural changes like this qualify it as a new generation.

It also smells like Audi will swap out the supercharged engine for a turbo charged one. This is definitely not what I had in mind. Basically 2019 Q7 has only about 7 or 8 months of shelf-life left.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I googled the news for 2020 Q7 and I was shocked. Is it still considered a 2nd gen Q7?

2020 Audi Q7 Review, Rumors, Changes, Price, Release date, Redesign

" The new 2020 Audi Q7 has been updated such that it now features an aluminum monocoque body. This new body style reduces the SUV’s overall weight by 700 pounds." Huge structural changes like this qualify it as a new generation.

It also smells like Audi will swap out the supercharged engine for a turbo charged one. This is definitely not what I had in mind. Basically 2019 Q7 has only about 7 or 8 months of shelf-life left.
You have info comingled...the 700lbs etc. was from gen 1 to gen 2. The 2020 will be a facelift (front rear lights bumper grille new engine new touch screen interior
Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Arghh I hate those websites, they just get past articles and change the model so that it comes up in search engines. If you read the details, it is actually describing the updates to current series (2016?). The interior part is a dead giveaway.

Here is a better one: https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-design/319974

At this point it sounds like 2020 models are getting the new interior and possibly slight exterior changes. Judging from exterior photos, 2020 will also include LIDAR sensor just like current A6/Q8 and possibly the matrix headlights. Unfortunately the big question in US is, whether those will be enabled for anything interesting in US due to regulations? Currently in US, LIDAR is only used for intersection assists as far as I know and matrix headligts might be enabled by software in future but who knows.

I don't care about the new interior, touch screen layout that much, in fact I prefer the current MMI with the exception of the screen size. Wish it was slightly larger. But if I learn that they include all the sensors as in Europe models and enable level 3 autonomous driving in US too then I would cancel my 2019 order and wait 6-7 more months. My bet right now is that won't happen in 2020 in Q7 as it is more likely to happen in Q8/A8 series first. (ie https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...on-not-for-us/)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:31 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be fair to the X5, you may want to pose the same question on some BMW forums...

Now the Q7 is quite a capable vehicle! I have a friend with one and he drives his daughter from Cleveland to New England to drop her off at college. He says it handles well in rain or snow and he loves it on the open road! I take my S4 to an independent Audi-only service shop. The owner raved to me how nice the Q7 is! I can only imagine the X5 is nice too, but I'd say you'll have more room in the Audi. I would also have to think you can keep your tools in the garage if you are buying (new).

Besides this basic intro to your car search, there are so many factors and variables that go into vehicle selection that we just don't know to better answer your question...

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If "3 rows" is a must I think Q7 is your only option from those listed, I know X5 has an optional 3rd row, but I've never heard anyone say its useful except for maybe kids in the 8-12 year range. The Q7 is definitely a bit bigger than the X5. (unless the 2019 is significantly different dimensionally which I doubt since the X7 is coming out.)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the Q is your only option if you want a somewhat usable 3rd row. The X5 was never serious about it and it sucked in the last version (can you even get it in the new model?). That all said, I'm a bit biased toward BMW driving dynamics and always thought the BMW performed the best when I was test driving. This however is the new model, and I haven't driven it, but I'm sure drives great. I have seen it in the flesh, and the interior is very nice now and the ugly back has been toned down. My biggest gripe was with the interior, which has now been fixed. You really will need to drive both of them, but if the third row is a must then the Q it is.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?