Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?

Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any consideration of the XC90? It’s a true 3 row with great interiors.

When they came out in 2016 the forums were full of reports of electrical gremlins. After a series of software fixes you don’t hear so much about that these days.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
Arghh I hate those websites, they just get past articles and change the model so that it comes up in search engines. If you read the details, it is actually describing the updates to current series (2016?). The interior part is a dead giveaway.

Here is a better one: https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-design/319974

At this point it sounds like 2020 models are getting the new interior and possibly slight exterior changes. Judging from exterior photos, 2020 will also include LIDAR sensor just like current A6/Q8 and possibly the matrix headlights. Unfortunately the big question in US is, whether those will be enabled for anything interesting in US due to regulations? Currently in US, LIDAR is only used for intersection assists as far as I know and matrix headligts might be enabled by software in future but who knows.

I don't care about the new interior, touch screen layout that much, in fact I prefer the current MMI with the exception of the screen size. Wish it was slightly larger. But if I learn that they include all the sensors as in Europe models and enable level 3 autonomous driving in US too then I would cancel my 2019 order and wait 6-7 more months. My bet right now is that won't happen in 2020 in Q7 as it is more likely to happen in Q8/A8 series first. (ie https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...on-not-for-us/)
Good point. It's not uncommon for Audi to have a delay in what we saw in spyshots or rumors earlier, especially in the U.S..
Old 11-22-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoMoreSwede
Any consideration of the XC90? It’s a true 3 row with great interiors.

When they came out in 2016 the forums were full of reports of electrical gremlins. After a series of software fixes you don’t hear so much about that these days.
We looked at the XC90 at same time as Q7 and we liked the Volvo a lot... until they starting quoting us lease prices. They never could come up with a solid reason why they were > $1,000 per month. The Q7 was $727 per month. Sticker prices were very close.
Later on, I heard the XC90's were having a lot of problems and trips back to the dealer.
The primary reason I switched from owning to leasing was the "concept" that getting a new ride every 2-3 years would reduce time & trips to the dealer for repairs. Sadly, it didn't pan out that way with the A6 and Q7.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedstand
Test drive one and you might change your mind. The HUD, BSD, NAV, H-K sound system, etc. kick *** over the 2014 & 2016 A6's I leased, and 50K is a list price, they were doing terrific lease deals which brought it down to about 43K for a GT2 AWD.
The Q7 with 30K miles is falling apart on us... little parts falling off here & there.
No regrets here. Auf Wiedersehen Audi
I don’t care if that thing can fly. It’s ugly and uses cheap materials. I’ve put over 100k on Audi’s and never experienced any “falling apart”. I guess your Kia test drive sealed the deal on build quality. Ce la vie.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant

I don’t care if that thing can fly. It’s ugly and uses cheap materials. I’ve put over 100k on Audi’s and never experienced any “falling apart”. I guess your Kia test drive sealed the deal on build quality. Ce la vie.
I'm glad you have good experience with Audi, someone should, but we did not.
A6 went back to the dealer 3 times in first 10K miles for repairs, once on flatbed when it blew a coolant line.
Q7 eats tires and makes awful brake noise, both well documented in threads here on Audiworld. Those are the major problems we experience. Don't have time today to document all the problems we have with Q7. Lease is paid in full for 36 months, but the phone calls and emails have started to roll us into a new Q7... makes my wife laugh.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedstand
The Q7 with 30K miles is falling apart on us... little parts falling off here & there.
What parts are we talking about falling off here? *****, exterior panels, bumpers? That doesnt sound good
Old 11-23-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
I have to give credit where it is due. I have a friend with a top trim Kia Sorento and build quality isn't bad actually, the cabin is quiet, feels well built. Yes, it is not an Audi but it is not too far of either. Drive dynamics is another thing but many car companies top trim cars are catching up with luxury cars in interior quality. Another example is the new mazda CX-5 signature edition, I've driven one and the build quality and feature set is up there with Q5 honestly.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife drives a 2017 q7 and says its the best car she has owned. Zero problems. I have a bmwx5 50i being built week 49. she drove the X5 with me and came away with a couple of comparisons. It had more power but that would be expected. she thought it felt good handling and gave her more comfort in the corners. she thought it was about the same in ride and road noise. Her big want is quiet. she loves the acc stop and go for heavy traffic. The bmw i think is better for handling but the audi is no dog either. Ausi has never been in the shop for a warranty claim
Old 11-24-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 11-27-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few words on Kia, and then I turn back to Audi. Over the weekend in Arizona, Hertz put us in a 2018 Kia Sorento V6 with cloth seats. Of course there is no comparison between a $30K Kia and a $60K Q7, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Kia. Drove better than I expected.
If one is using those two cars as a basis of comparing brands, no question Audi is superior. But the Stinger is a new game. I read a few reviews earlier this year before the lease on the A6 ended in June, and I was blown away by the Stinger. Here's a link to a similar review:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kia-...e-year-2018-11

Back to the Q7 - our major complaint has been that the Audi has been (for us) a very high maintenance vehicle, and we are coming from a BMW X5 and a MB E320 before. Sure it drives great, but we have to take it in every 5K miles for tire rotation b/c it chews up the front tires, the loud brakes, recalls, etc. So the Q7 is going in at least every 5K miles, often more frequently. We have 2 kids who attend different schools, so my wife wants a reliable car that only needs to be serviced every 10K miles. This just has not been the case with the Q7 we lease. For those who got a "no problem" Q7, I am jealous. I don't recall the BMW or MB having such problems in the first 30K miles, however as I posted earlier, once the BMW hit 40-50K miles, it went to pot. That was the last time I bought.

Re: parts falling off - the driver's sun visor fell off, but I was able to screw it back into place myself so that did not require a trip to service. My wife also shows me plastic parts that have snapped in half. I think they are the end caps for the seat rails(tracks), but I'm not 100% sure.
While it has not fallen off, I notice the chrome piece atop the rear doors does not line up well with the chrome pieces atop the front doors and the windows behind the rear door. That just kind of bugs me for a car at this price point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?