Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m sure the Kia Stinger has its merits, but this is an Audi forum, so I doubt you’re going to find too many people that cross shopped or want to consider Kia as their next car.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, today's the 28th - so here you go:

I am VERY impressed!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of months ago i drove kia sedan as a rental, i was impreseed by the drive and interior. If i was looking for a cheap sedan or suv i would strongly consider one. Audi is at another level. Audi is a luxury brand and Kia is not.

Last edited by Q7guy18; 11-28-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest gripe I have with the Q7 is the dated MMI system. Screen is too small, too far away from the driver and cumbersome to do things as simple as entering a NAV address or changing the radio station.

The new X5 gets it right with a 12" touchscreen that you can still control with a MMI style (idrive) controller if you prefer or hate fingerprints.

It seems the 2020 Q7 is getting Audi's new touchscreen interface, but for 2019 BMW has the edge IMO.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The fanboy is strong in here. It’s really hilarious seeing some of you defending the Q7, that gets pooped on in the North America by its very own AOA. Doesn’t give numerical readout for tire pressures (2004 Tahoe from my childhood does that as did my 2016 X5), no acoustic glass (our GC Summit has 5 windows with), no remote start and the list goes on. All things in which, the X5 has.

Oh its sooooo big though. Not really. The new X5 has similar dimensions and has grown over the previous generation (2014-18).

Also, someone a few comments up said you have to get a 3rd row in the BMW to get second row reclining seats but that’s not true. Second row “comfort seats” (reclining) is an individual option. Mine had it, without a third row. The back seat was equally comfortable to my Q7.

I appreciate the understated looks of the Q7 over the new X5, personally. But the interior doesn’t hold even the slightest candle to the new X5. Gorgeous. My X5 creaked and rattled like a death trap and my Q7 is like a vault so that would make me hesitant to go BMW again.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Well, today's the 28th - so here you go:

2020 Lincoln Aviator

I am VERY impressed!
+1

The Hybrid version will be a beast. I think the exterior of the car looks pretty good as well, just needs all the fake plastichrome blacked out/wrapped IMO
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
Also, someone a few comments up said you have to get a 3rd row in the BMW to get second row reclining seats but that’s not true. Second row “comfort seats” (reclining) is an individual option. Mine had it, without a third row. The back seat was equally comfortable to my Q7.
Is this an option available for 2019's now? I know the earlier models had this but so far it doesn't show up in 2019 configuration tool. Neither is the 3rd row seats is available yet.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
Is this an option available for 2019's now? I know the earlier models had this but so far it doesn't show up in 2019 configuration tool. Neither is the 3rd row seats is available yet.
I’m not sure. I felt like it was, but now I’m not seeing it.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
The fanboy is strong in here. It’s really hilarious seeing some of you defending the Q7, that gets pooped on in the North America by its very own AOA. Doesn’t give numerical readout for tire pressures (2004 Tahoe from my childhood does that as did my 2016 X5), no acoustic glass (our GC Summit has 5 windows with), no remote start and the list goes on. All things in which, the X5 has.

Oh its sooooo big though. Not really. The new X5 has similar dimensions and has grown over the previous generation (2014-18).

I appreciate the understated looks of the Q7 over the new X5, personally. But the interior doesn’t hold even the slightest candle to the new X5. Gorgeous. My X5 creaked and rattled like a death trap and my Q7 is like a vault so that would make me hesitant to go BMW again.
If fanboy is what you want to just head over to the G05 forum where the douche runs high.
Look up active vs passive TPMS. From someone who swaps wheels often I prefer passive and use a calibrated gauge to check pressure when needed.
Acoustic glass would be nice but the Q7 is already quiet so not really a downfall.
Agreed on remote start. No question.

X5 may be similar but still slightly smaller and definitely less room in the 2nd row.
I've havent been in a G05 with a 3rd row. I believe the options isn't due out until next year.
I also havent seen the "comfort seat" option in this generation.

I've done substantial research and have done seat time. I would be buying a G05 next year if not for Audi interior redesign.
To me Audi has a leg up on BMW.

Last edited by Audirings4; 12-03-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
If fanboy is what you want to just head over to the G05 forum where the douche runs high.
Look up active vs passive TPMS. From someone who swaps wheels often I prefer passive and use a calibrated gauge to check pressure when needed.
Your gripe is not with TPMS, it's with the lousy implementations of it! Some idiotic car makers (looking at you, Ford!) make you do an absurd procedure with a little push-button transmitter at each corner, every time you change wheels. But others do it RIGHT, like Mercedes, and it's plug 'n play. Just bolt the new wheels on, and you're done. Audi should have copied Mercedes many years ago.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 vs. new BMW X5?