Audi Q7 vs VW ATLAS - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 vs VW ATLAS

Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Q7 vs VW ATLAS

Can a VWAtlas be compared with a Q 7? Been looking at the Atlas & it sure has a lot going for it for the price. Both are made by VW I believe. The Atlas is 25 to 30K less then the Q7, built in the USA, and there are more options with the Atlas. Burns regular fuel too.
Also heard that the TDI may be offered in the 2019. What can be the downside of getting the Atlas over the Q 7?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xfirechief View Post
Can a VWAtlas be compared with a Q 7? Been looking at the Atlas & it sure has a lot going for it for the price. Both are made by VW I believe. The Atlas is 25 to 30K less then the Q7, built in the USA, and there are more options with the Atlas. Burns regular fuel too.
Also heard that the TDI may be offered in the 2019. What can be the downside of getting the Atlas over the Q 7?
No downside, and you'll save a bunch of cash. I just think that the two vehicles are in a separate class altogether (even though they may share a lot of the technology/engineering), so it really depends on what you want.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's a nice motortrend article on everything you want to know.

DECISION TIME: 2017 AUDI Q7 2.0T QUATTRO OR LOADED 2018 VOLKSWAGEN ATLAS?

Decision Time: 2017 Audi Q7 2.0T Quattro or Loaded 2018 Volkswagen Atlas? - Motor Trend
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Atlas has a much better warranty too... 6 years/72,000 miles bumper-to-bumper
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did test drive top-loaded Atlas in late June. It is a good people hauler and a very utilitarian vehicle in its nature. In many ways it beats Q7 in the vehicle practicality department. Atlas definitely possess some genes from VW Touareg - driving is precise and comfortable. Surely, comparing 3.0 L -equipped Atlas to 2.0 L -equipped Q7 as the linked article does serves no purpose... 3.0 L to 3.0 L would be the way to compare. Major issue with Atlas for me was its outdated, under-powered engine. It takes forever to accelerate. The Q7 newer power plant offers driving agility and sense of available torque (still not comparable to what my bought-back VW Touareg TDI could offer). Second important to me feature was towing capacity and that is 7700 lbs vs. 5000 lbs - a huge difference. Certainly, the level of comfort of Atlas does not come even close to that of Q7. But I was never very crazy about all these bling-bling features/things. However, they are... well, pleasant to have. If the VW of A will offer an Atlas model equipped with diesel engine some day (with no cheating software installed) - I might look at it again. With currently available engines it is off my list. Ah.. forgot to mention, the Q7's 4X4 is distributed 40/60 in normal mode; VW Atlas has a 4X4 ratio 20/80 - so you can see easy which of the two has better performing and safer 4X4.
Another thing about Atlas is that it so closely resembles the looks of Ford Explorer that if it wouldn't be VW badge vs. Ford badge - it is hard to tell them apart. I have to admit: I do have a subjective grudge against Fords. 9 out of 10 times they will be the ones blocking left lane for everybody else, not showing turn signals, entering a HWY from ramp truly beleiving that HWY traffic shall yield and so on and on.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 11-13-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: cc
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Atlas drives like a Jeep. Having driven a Jeep for 7 years in the past, I appreciated that.
It's nicely priced if you are financing, horribly priced if you are leasing. Overall a nice vehicle, but I don't think it can be compared to Q7 unless you were looking to get 2.0 or base Q7, for cabin noise, suspension and just overall dynamics alone. But if these don't matter and if you want to be able to haul 6-7 people (they have option to get captain chairs for 2nd row, that's nice) and you really don't want to get a minivan, then Atlas is actually a great vehicle, if you are not leasing it.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by xfirechief View Post
I looked at both and a few observations I made.

VW Atlas Sel premium --
1. Has excellent seating capacity for 7.
2. Power is reasonable for family use.
3. Has park assist.
4. Has remote start.
5. Lots of storage space.
6. Can get virtual cockpit with VW maps.
7. Has active lane keep assist.
8. No Heads up display.
9. No speed sign recognition.
10. Interior looks bland and slightly cheap.

Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige --

1. Luxury car with excellent interiors.
2. Great power.
3. Has head up display.
4. Has traffic speed sign recognition.
5. Has run flat tires.
6. Virtual cockpit with google earth.
7. No park assist.
8. No remote start.
9. No spare tire.

I ended up ordering the Audi.

Last edited by Polonium1; 11-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Polonium1 View Post
VW Atlas Sel premium --
4. Has remote start.

Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige --
8. No remote start.
Still boggles my mind why Audi couldn't add in remote start on a $70k+ vehicle. Like, not even an option.

I hope the Atlas does well, I've always liked VWs.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon View Post
Atlas has a much better warranty too... 6 years/72,000 miles bumper-to-bumper
which it needs in order to attract customers since vw has a bad reliability record. probably why they dont sell very well in the US
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OneOfOne View Post
which it needs in order to attract customers since vw has a bad reliability record. probably why they dont sell very well in the US
Interesting, since Atlas was designed from ground up for American market ......