Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Rings Puddle Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Chinese Cree LED puddle lights with the white Audi rings, "Audi" in red letters and a white circle around the logo. It didn't show the circle in the add, but it's OK. I had to do a little filing on the door panels to get them to fit. Not happy about that, but I did it and they worked fine for about 3 or 4 months. Come to find out, now that I went back and read the reviews, that's all they last. 3 to 6 months! The plastic logo part starts to burn and discolor from the heat of the LED. One of the companies on eBay lets you order 2 logos for $3.99 every time they start to fail. I have 4 lights so that would be $8 every 3 or so months. But 2 of the LED's also dimmed way down. I read about that as well. So 2 units need to be replaced as well on doors I rarely use. 3 months? Not worth it. So now I want the OEM's. Does anyone have the dimensions? Mainly the length of the hole in the door panel. I had to file mine out to a little over 1 3/4 inches. Most reviews just said the had to pop in the Chinese lights and a few said they had to file the hole a little bigger. So I guess there are 2 sizes of door holes for the lights. When you order the Chinese kind on eBay, you have to select year, make, etc. When I get to trim part and select "Prestige" is when most said "won't fit". The part that actually clicks into my door (not including the part you stick the wires into) is a little over 1 3/4 inches long. Can someone please measure the OEM's. I asked the dealers on eBay but they don't give me the measurement. Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default OEM dimensions

Originally Posted by AudiA4Man2010
I got the Chinese Cree LED puddle lights with the white Audi rings, "Audi" in red letters and a white circle around the logo. It didn't show the circle in the add, but it's OK. I had to do a little filing on the door panels to get them to fit. Not happy about that, but I did it and they worked fine for about 3 or 4 months. Come to find out, now that I went back and read the reviews, that's all they last. 3 to 6 months! The plastic logo part starts to burn and discolor from the heat of the LED. One of the companies on eBay lets you order 2 logos for $3.99 every time they start to fail. I have 4 lights so that would be $8 every 3 or so months. But 2 of the LED's also dimmed way down. I read about that as well. So 2 units need to be replaced as well on doors I rarely use. 3 months? Not worth it. So now I want the OEM's. Does anyone have the dimensions? Mainly the length of the hole in the door panel. I had to file mine out to a little over 1 3/4 inches. Most reviews just said the had to pop in the Chinese lights and a few said they had to file the hole a little bigger. So I guess there are 2 sizes of door holes for the lights. When you order the Chinese kind on eBay, you have to select year, make, etc. When I get to trim part and select "Prestige" is when most said "won't fit". The part that actually clicks into my door (not including the part you stick the wires into) is a little over 1 3/4 inches long. Can someone please measure the OEM's. I asked the dealers on eBay but they don't give me the measurement. Thanks
For Audi part# 4G0 052 130 A, the outer length of the translucent plastic is 2 1/8". The shorter length of the area that will clip in is exactly 1 7/8" including the retaining tab. The actual retaining tab is 1/8" Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by macwm; 04-13-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you so much for the measurements! The Audi dealer finally sent me a pic of the light laying on top of measuring tape. Not a local dealer, otherwise I would have just drove over there and measured them myself. The aftermarket Chinese lights are the same size but my original lights were 1/4" shorter. So I had to reluctantly file out the holes on all four doors. If I would have known the lights only last 3 to 6 months, less in hotter climates, I'm in Florida, I would have never done it. I basically thought they would last years and I even got 2 extra just in case. Hopefully the Audi (I see they say "Made in Germany") lights will last longer.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Order the right size

Originally Posted by AudiA4Man2010
Thank you so much for the measurements! The Audi dealer finally sent me a pic of the light laying on top of measuring tape. Not a local dealer, otherwise I would have just drove over there and measured them myself. The aftermarket Chinese lights are the same size but my original lights were 1/4" shorter. So I had to reluctantly file out the holes on all four doors. If I would have known the lights only last 3 to 6 months, less in hotter climates, I'm in Florida, I would have never done it. I basically thought they would last years and I even got 2 extra just in case. Hopefully the Audi (I see they say "Made in Germany") lights will last longer.
Make sure to order the right size, the "narrow connector". The electrical with not plug in to the "wide connector" version.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default china lights

Here is the pics that I promised you
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I got the new OEM lights from Audi. The quality is night and day from the Chinese lights. I looks like they even have built in metal heat sinks. And the Audi Rings are super clear, even in low light. Now with the Chinese lights on eBay, most ads and reviews said they just pop in. Install in 5 minutes. Some say you need professional installation because the door panel needs to be filed out. Allot of them have drop down boxes where you state year, model, trim, etc. I did all that and still had to file out my doors about 1/4 of an inch to get them to "pop in". Very scary! But like I posted earlier, they only last a couple of months. The heat burnt out the logo on the drivers door and 2 others simply dimmed.Waste of money and damage (filing) to my doors. I popped in the OEM's and they are just a little bit smaller than the Chinese lights are. Enough to where they won't stay in. I cut a drinking straw up and put a piece on the end that goes into the door first opposite of the electrical plug and they fit fine. Who knows how long that will last? One good door slam maybe. I'm thinking I can find one of those plastic sticks that you get with flowers to stick a card on, cut into 1 inch pieces, might be a more permanent solution glued on. Long story short, the OEM's are a class act compared to the others. A bit pricey, but hopefully they will last. With the cheap lights, in 3 years you would probably have to change out each light maybe 4 to 6 times. And who knows if each time you went on eBay you got the same light with the same measurements and logo.
P.S. It's night now and I just went out to check them. SO MUCH BETTER! Worth the money.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just added quattro lighting to the rear doors.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Are these the only puddle lights on the Q7? Nothing else exterior? I had rented a Q80 and it had courtesy light in the mirror that illuminated as you got close to the vehicle
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Are these the only puddle lights on the Q7? Nothing else exterior? I had rented a Q80 and it had courtesy light in the mirror that illuminated as you got close to the vehicle
There are tiny LED lights on exterior door handle(both front and rear doors). There are motion sensing LED lights inside the door bottle holder area (that was a surprise to me). I have Prestige, comes with LED Lighting Plus package.May be this is part of it.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome thx

Quick Reply: Audi Rings Puddle Lights