Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AudiConnect Free Features - Does this clear things up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I see. I haven't received the email as yet so I haven't been able to read it in its entirety.

Someone needs to figure out how to get a SIM from a carrier with a cheap data plan to work in our cars so we can get the Google Earth stuff in our HUDs and VCs. I don't need it since I use Android Auto to get the satellite view of Google Maps on my center screen, but it would be nice to have it on the VC and it feels like a gaping hole of a tab on my VC to not have Earth on it.
The whole email is posted above in the thread. Unfortunately, Google Earth and the other Audi Connect services are subscription-based the car will check that subscription before they'll work, regardless where the data is coming from. Adding your own SIM won't help, at least in the US. Folks in Canada, who aren't eligible for most of the Audi Connect features, have found a way to bypass that, but the same technique doesn't work in the US. The speculation is that since Google Earth isn't a feature of Audi Connect in Canada, somehow it skips the subscription check once it's manually coded on.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My free trial also ended a long time ago. I got the email and updated the App yesterday. I am able to use lock/unlock, and Send to Car features for free. I have 2018 Q7. Are they throwing the free features to only a few users until the full rollout on March 8? Just curious.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shaikhmf
My free trial also ended a long time ago. I got the email and updated the App yesterday. I am able to use lock/unlock, and Send to Car features for free. I have 2018 Q7. Are they throwing the free features to only a few users until the full rollout on March 8? Just curious.
The free lock/unlock feature was rolled out several months ago. I don't know about Send to Car; I haven't tried that since my free trial.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Downloaded the app, but it wont work yet. Lets wait and see
Remote Lock/unlock works for me with new myAudi app. Have you tried that?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lapi
Remote Lock/unlock works for me with new myAudi app. Have you tried that?
So I tried the lock/unlock and vehicle location and that works. The third feature, car status, does not appear to work for me yet. Its not officially launched so I suppose its still early
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shaikhmf
How did you send to car. I see the app has the ability to search for destinations, but I could't see the option to send to car. That feature is also not part of the free features
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the new app but can’t do anything. Tried the lock/unlock and it says car can’t be reached. Also, it says “last vehicle contact- never”.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vehicle status is now active.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank for the reminder, it is March 8. Yes, my app is showing the vehicle status in detail now and allowing me to lock/unlock. Cool
Old 03-08-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep! Audi also can provide software updates! yay!!!

Quick Reply: AudiConnect Free Features - Does this clear things up?