Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AudiConnect, SIM and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default AudiConnect, SIM and questions

Hello everybody,

I have a 2017 A4 on order (similar to the 2017 Q7 from an MMI perspective) and I'm trying to figure out how the MIB Audi Connect works compared to the previous generation, especially in regards to data connections, plans and services. I understand that most of you are still within the 6 months trial period but hope that someone already thought about the time after the trial.

In the past, the MMI 3G+ had a SIM slot that took SIM cards from various providers. In my 2012 A6 I used T-mobile (both personal and the Audi SIM that came with the car) as well as AT&T. AudiConnect, Google Earth and other services worked with any of those providers, traffic was via Sirius not using that data connection.

I got hold of the 2017 A4 owners manual and while it does mention a SIM card for Audi Connect it also says that the SIM card preinstalled in the car with no hint on where that might be. It's not in the MMI head unit anymore since there are only 2 slots for SD cards as far as I can tell.

At https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...i-connect.html there are three plans listed, Connect Care (I suppose this is the 10 year emergency and road side assistance that comes with the car), Connect Prime (which lists Google Earth and other services as well as Inrix traffic) and Connect Plus (which seems to be a data plan only).

The questions I have now are the following:
- Is the SIM cards user replaceable?
- Does Connect Care require the Audi SIM to provide those services? I suppose the phone number would be different and the Audi server would have no way to contact the car (Stolen Vehicle Locator) unless it's using an Internet connection and the car tells the server how to get in contact with it.
- Does Google Earth etc. work with with a 3rd party SIM? I could skip Inrix traffic but I would want Google Earth and other online services.
- Does Google Earth etc. work if I don't get a data plan and use the Wifi Hotspot + client feature to tether the MMI to my smartphone?
- Or shall I just deal with it, subscribe to the services as planned, pay $60+ every month and enjoy the ride?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

See this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...nnect-2895759/
Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I read through that topic but it mixes old (MMI 3G+) with new (MIB in MY2017 Q7 and A4) where things are different. It looks like the MIB has a build in eSIM that is used for Connect Care, Prime and Plus (the latter only if subscribed). In ROW/Germany there is an additional SIM card slot in the MIB head unit for data connections but that SIM slot is missing in US versions of the MIB. The A4 manual states though that the MIB can tether to a mobile hotspot and if I read this correctly, it can share the tethered connection with WiFi clients in the car. The manual omits any other details though (it's a user manual and not a technical manual after all), that's the reason for all those questions.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I know now why no Q7 owner is asking the same questions, the 2017 Q7 seems to still have the SIM card slot (in the middle between the two SD card slots) in the MMI head unit although it's not mentioned or shown in the manual. I guess I will have to wait for the first A4 to show up at the dealer to see if the A4 has a SIM card slot also or is using an eSIM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably the same for A4 B9. The sim card slot is there but probably disabled coming into the U.S. market. I tried putting my current T-Mobile sim card and my wife's AT&T sim card, but none worked.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I think I know now why no Q7 owner is asking the same questions, the 2017 Q7 seems to still have the SIM card slot (in the middle between the two SD card slots) in the MMI head unit although it's not mentioned or shown in the manual. I guess I will have to wait for the first A4 to show up at the dealer to see if the A4 has a SIM card slot also or is using an eSIM.
I was searching for the same questions you have and I found your post. The 2017 Q7 does not have a SIM slot as you think. Its hidden somewhere which one cannot access. On the European models they have rSAP which the US version lacks. There is an option to tether to a Phone though. However by doing so can you use all the features that Audi connect through AT&T offers? Were you able to find answers to your questions?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All 2017 Q7 and A4 that I saw at the dealers so far have a MMI head unit with SIM card slot between the two SD card slots (if they have Navigation that is). I will get my car in a week or so, hopefully there is some VCDS coding that allows enabling that slot so that a personal mini-SIM can be used for data without tethering..
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
All 2017 Q7 and A4 that I saw at the dealers so far have a MMI head unit with SIM card slot between the two SD card slots (if they have Navigation that is). I will get my car in a week or so, hopefully there is some VCDS coding that allows enabling that slot so that a personal mini-SIM can be used for data without tethering..
I was told by my dealer that that SIM slot in both the new Q7 & A4 is a "dummy" & not connected. The only reason it's there is that the unit housing the two SD cards & the SIM slot is a "universal" part used in all the vehicles around the world but the SIM slot is only enabled in countries that can use it. Whether "enabling" is a function of a physical wire connection or something in VCDS will be interesting to see. Essentially that slot is only there to keep there two SD card slots apart
Old 04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Believe me, Audi would not put a SIM card slot in there if there is no SIM card reader installed in the device. There already have several different MMI head units for Europe and ROW, there is no point in having a slot there that doesn't have the required hardware also.

There are two options: Either the US software has support for a SIM card disabled on the firmware level (or not included at all) or it's a coding that can be enabled and disabled. The first would be comparable to the US RNS-E software not supporting a backup camera via AV input but installing the Euro software or switching to Lambo mode enables that feature on the same hardware. The second would be comparable to for example video in motion which requires a coding change to watch video while the car is driving above a certain speed.

It will be only a matter of time to find that out. Rumor has it that Audi will do the same in Europe with MY 2017 (starts there in week 25). If true then I'm sure that will be many people sitting with the VCDS in the garage at night try to figure this out...
Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
I was told by my dealer that that SIM slot in both the new Q7 & A4 is a "dummy" & not connected. The only reason it's there is that the unit housing the two SD cards & the SIM slot is a "universal" part used in all the vehicles around the world but the SIM slot is only enabled in countries that can use it. Whether "enabling" is a function of a physical wire connection or something in VCDS will be interesting to see. Essentially that slot is only there to keep there two SD card slots apart
So the question left is how the car connects to AT&T in the US. Is there a hidden sim slot somewhere else in the unit, or does AT&T support sim-free connections like Sprint or Verizon?

Quick Reply: AudiConnect, SIM and questions