Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Start recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start recommendations?

I found it odd that these luxury cars don't have Auto Start, when I can get a GMC or Ford that has auto start standard. I've heard Viper is an option to add auto start. Did you add an after market auto start to your car? How does it work, and what do you recommend? Winter is coming in the North and my wife will be looking to add an after market auto start sometime soon.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

You mean remote start, right? Yeah, definitely annoying considering that even the VW Atlas has it...
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, sorry...Remote Start. Anyone add Remote start to their Q7? I read somewhere that Viper allows it to integrate with your Audi fob. I'd love to hear from Q7 owners who added remote start.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I've used the Viper, it works well.

The reason Audi does not offer it has been discussed at length.

VW does offer it on an Atlas because an Atlas is built in the US.

Yes, lots of other brands do lots of things - but they do not build cars like an Audi (yes, I'm a fan and employee). GMC's and Fords are not luxury cars. So it's always a case of choosing what best suits your total needs and wants. Nothing tends to ever satisfy both completely, whether it comes to choosing a car, or anything else in life
Old 10-02-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I understand why Audi does not offer remote start. I bought the car fully aware of that fact. The question at hand is who has added remote start, and who has insight into adding after market remote start?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your post didn't really make that clear from the first sentence

I've only ever had it on a couple cars in the past (one was an Audi). But, I have several clients who have the new Viper systems on their cars (A6, SQ5, A8), and all have been pleased with it. The app functionality seems to work very well, and range was good as I recall.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you got few years warranty left , i am worried Audi could blame me for something and i maybe stuck with a bill.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q7guy18
When you got few years warranty left , i am worried Audi could blame me for something and i maybe stuck with a bill.
My dealer recommended Viper, although it was in passing and under their breath. Now I wonder if they would use it as a way to void part of the warranty....
Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stone997
My dealer recommended Viper, although it was in passing and under their breath. Now I wonder if they would use it as a way to void part of the warranty....
Viper has been around a long long time. Research your installer, and find out what their recommendations are and if they stand behind their work.

The place you buy from, is always more important than the widget you buy from them.

Doing aftermarket work to any car is a risk. But it can easily be a calculated one. No different from trying a new restaurant or staying at a hotel you’ve
never been to
Old 10-03-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone997
Please search this forum section for "viper". There are a very comprehensive thread with great detail including how to select an installer, pros/cons of fob vs. phone start, pros/cons of using the audi fob to start, affect on the warranty, etc. I'm not going to go into any detail on any of that here since it's covered in the existing thread and easy to find. If that leaves you with further questions, please ask them in that thread.

Quick Reply: Auto Start recommendations?