Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
View Poll Results: Do you like this Auto start/shurt off feature?
Yes
51.43%
Hell No.
48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Auto start/stop shut-off

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check again but iirc, mine will remember last drive mode (shut down in dynamic the vehicle restarts in dynamic) BUT start/stop still defaults to on upon restarting irregardless of drive mode shut down in.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the problem with Auto start/stop? Does it stall your engine at the red light? I am trying to understand the issue as I would imagine this is a good feature to have.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saunderscc
I use individual mode, Dynamic for all but the adaptive cruise control (or whatever it is, I don't remember) which is set to Auto. The auto shutoff is turned off, I guess, because of the Dynamic.
I've only had the car for a couple of days and didn't realize that I've accidentally been putting into Sport occasionally b/c the electronic shifter is new. It does NOT turn off as I described under Individual mode. It DOES turn off when I accidentally, now purposefully, put it into Sport mode by pulling down twice.

It does default to Individual on startup as that's what I've always used.

Sorry for the Newb confusion.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
What is the problem with Auto start/stop? Does it stall your engine at the red light? I am trying to understand the issue as I would imagine this is a good feature to have.
It's a good feature in terms of fuel economy and obviously minimizing environmental impact over time.

But the problem is that the start-stop system is not as always as smooth, seamless, or refined as Audi had intended. If you simply want to get on the throttle quickly right off a stoplight for whatever spontaneous reason, there is a very noticeable delay. Even when you're not in a hurry, the engine restart can sometimes be jarring or just plain awkward as far as car NVH goes. As quiet and refined as the Q7 is, the auto-start-stop system certainly ruins that. And it's not just the Q7, I've been repeatedly annoyed by the start-stop on just about every car I've driven that has it. Anyone who spends $80k+ on such a luxury vehicle should at least have the option to completely disable an unwanted feature that takes away some of that luxury. Unfortunately, government EPA lawmakers are now apparently mandating that car manufacturers make it always active by default with only a temporary means of disabling it.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
It's a good feature in terms of fuel economy and obviously minimizing environmental impact over time.

But the problem is that the start-stop system is not as always as smooth, seamless, or refined as Audi had intended. If you simply want to get on the throttle quickly right off a stoplight for whatever spontaneous reason, there is a very noticeable delay. Even when you're not in a hurry, the engine restart can sometimes be jarring or just plain awkward as far as car NVH goes. As quiet and refined as the Q7 is, the auto-start-stop system certainly ruins that. And it's not just the Q7, I've been repeatedly annoyed by the start-stop on just about every car I've driven that has it. Anyone who spends $80k+ on such a luxury vehicle should at least have the option to completely disable an unwanted feature that takes away some of that luxury. Unfortunately, government EPA lawmakers are now apparently mandating that car manufacturers make it always active by default with only a temporary means of disabling it.
Yeah, I would agree with this. Much of the time it doesn't bother me. But about 20-30% of the time it seems to turn into the awkward delayed somewhat jarring transition back to driving, to the point where a passenger who didn't know what the feature was might think there was something wrong with the car.

That shouldn't happen in a $60k plus vehicle, let alone an $80k vehicle
Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the primary intent is fuel conservation. Frankly, I noticed very little difference in fuel savings. That said, I also noticed almost zero "stall" when taking my foot off the brake and accelerating.

Several riders have commented when the car shut down; I explained to them the reason and never said that it was weird. As I said before, I just push the button immediately after starting the engine and going about my trip. No biggie, at least for me.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is, I agree and I'm very pleased with the Q7's start-stop, for me, it works seamlessly. I understand some may not like it and I previously also found start-stop annoying; the first car in which I didn't dislike it and thought it worked quite well was in a '15 TDI Avant that I had back in Europe, but in the Q7 it's so much more smooth. I'm located in NYC where start-stop (to me) makes a lot of sense; I've not yet noticed any issues with using it (still less than 500 miles on the car though).
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is used for gas mileage - that's why the Fed requires it in a default ON position. Even if you set Dynamic as the preferred drive option, it will always start up in Normal, so you have to shift it to S anyways.

I have become used to it, and feel it's a "good citizen" behavior. YMMV.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV

But the problem is that the start-stop system is not as always as smooth, seamless, or refined as Audi had intended. If you simply want to get on the throttle quickly right off a stoplight for whatever spontaneous reason, there is a very noticeable delay. Even when you're not in a hurry, the engine restart can sometimes be jarring or just plain awkward as far as car NVH goes.
Agreed.

It is not fun to drive with the feature on in a residential area with lots of stop signs.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekeman
I think the primary intent is fuel conservation. Frankly, I noticed very little difference in fuel savings. That said, I also noticed almost zero "stall" when taking my foot off the brake and accelerating.

Several riders have commented when the car shut down; I explained to them the reason and never said that it was weird. As I said before, I just push the button immediately after starting the engine and going about my trip. No biggie, at least for me.
Agree with the pushing the button, as said its the law makers who want to protect the planet then install red lights everywhere. Pushing that button is like putting a finger up at the people in government every time you get in the car. Go on peeps give it a try and see if it makes you feel a bit rebellion now you know.

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop shut-off