Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Back seat rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seat rattles

Hi Guys. Just got my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus for little less than a month. Everything has been great until... After some snow driving in the past week I started to hear rattle noise from the second row seat area. It 's kinda obvious when the car passes thru uneven surface.

Not sure where it's coming from exactly but seems like it's the back seat rails. I did some simple tests to eliminate the possibility from the cargo cover or seat belt.

This is my first Audi and be honest with you I'm not too happy about it. I don't know if it is common for a $65k+ car. Had notified the dealer today and hopefully they could fix it. Will update later, thanks.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have someone ride in the backseat to see where its coming from. Once the source is located that's 9/10's of the battle then service will easily do the rest with out subjecting your brand new 7 to lots of testing miles to determine the location of the noise
Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have had 2 - Q 5's & both had this issue. Took them in & after they replaced the seat frame never had the problem again. Someday Audi will solve this so you don't have the issue at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rattle behind the front seat and haven't been able to locate it yet. It only happens occasionally which is very frustrating. It's usually with someone in the passenger seat so the added weight must help trigger it but my wife hasn't heard it. Her hearing isn't as good as mine.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I have a rattle behind the front seat and haven't been able to locate it yet. It only happens occasionally which is very frustrating. It's usually with someone in the passenger seat so the added weight must help trigger it but my wife hasn't heard it. Her hearing isn't as good as mine.
Sign... today I drove it back home from work, and seems the passenger seat is now rattling too. don't really know what to say..
What's funny it's that this time the back seats remained silent.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by leonana11
Sign... today I drove it back home from work, and seems the passenger seat is now rattling too. don't really know what to say..
What's funny it's that this time the back seats remained silent.
Got mine in the shop for door rattling or plastic popping noises after snow day. The shop said it's due to the plastic or rubber seal that wrap around the doors. They applied some lubricant on it and its gone for "now". I dunno how this possible for such luxury brand. Regarding the backseat rattle, I posted something about it. I think the title is "new noise from dash board", but it was actually from two side seats on second row. You can fold one side down and hit the middle seat horizontally from top to bottom to reproduce the noise that way. My car is still in the shop and they are trying to find a solution for the second row seat. The noises were like a metal spring recoiling like sound (new) and constant whistling noises (spring rubbing inside fixed). Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that if the rear seat belt is twisted, it will rattle against the interior panel.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leonana11
Hi Guys. Just got my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus for little less than a month. Everything has been great until... After some snow driving in the past week I started to hear rattle noise from the second row seat area. It 's kinda obvious when the car passes thru uneven surface.

Not sure where it's coming from exactly but seems like it's the back seat rails. I did some simple tests to eliminate the possibility from the cargo cover or seat belt.

This is my first Audi and be honest with you I'm not too happy about it. I don't know if it is common for a $65k+ car. Had notified the dealer today and hopefully they could fix it. Will update later, thanks.

I thought there was issue with seats. It was the seat belt out of place creating a rattle.