Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

A rumor to improve oil consumption and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A rumor to improve oil consumption and transmission

To be clear, it's a hearsay from my friend without any test.
Recently, I told my friend who self-declared a VAG expert about the oil consumption issue for the Q7.
He told me VAG vehicles are designed from racing car and better driven with high RPM.
If people drive in a city, they should use S mode or manual mode to keep engine in high RPM, better change gears after 3000+ rpm.
D mode is only good for high speed driving like highway. The low rpm will caused low temperature in engine so that it burns more oil.
I forgot why this also cause damage to DSG transmission in low rpm. It's a long BS story
Anyway, does anyone hear the similar theory about the sporty driving habit is better for VAG engines or it's just a crap from my friend.
I would like to hear some opinion to decide if I should slam his face . Thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil consumption is not so bad that I change my driving habits.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
The oil consumption is not so bad that I change my driving habits.
Which way do you change, more gentle or sporty?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I think he means its not worth putting in S or Manual every time
Old 02-26-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't imagine this would make any difference at all. In fact it might increase consumption. I'd guess that Audi lets the engine run a little "loose" to reduce internal friction and increase fuel,economy. Audi engineers would be well versed in allowable oil,consumption vs contaminating the catalysts which is the major problem with excessive blowby.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm calling hogwash to that idea. Thermostat keeps the engine at an acceptable temperature for optimum efficiency. Running higher throttle openings actually cools the engine (due to more air being pushed through it).

I think you should slap him in the face for the BS, but still drive your ride hard (just because it's fun, not that what he said had any technical merit. )
Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jet963
If people drive in a city, they should use S mode or manual mode to keep engine in high RPM, better change gears after 3000+ rpm.
D mode is only good for high speed driving like highway.
Note that if you leave the car in S mode while on the highway, it still shifts to low RPM as long as you are not accellerating... so leaving in S mode on highway doesn't seem to consume any more gas than putting in D mode on highway... S mode only seems to change how things accelerate/decelerate, thus making the car less efficient (gas wise) than "D" mode.
Seems like your friend might be speaking from lack of experience with Audi.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jet963
Which way do you change, more gentle or sporty?
I do not see driving at lower speeds keeping the engine so cool it burn more oil. This is BS.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it that it burns more when the engine is cold so getting it hot quickly might have some truth to it. Frankly I've noticed the engine will stay cold longer if you hit traffic and can't get to speed quicker during city commute
Old 02-28-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Note that if you leave the car in S mode while on the highway, it still shifts to low RPM as long as you are not accellerating... so leaving in S mode on highway doesn't seem to consume any more gas than putting in D mode on highway... S mode only seems to change how things accelerate/decelerate, thus making the car less efficient (gas wise) than "D" mode.
Seems like your friend might be speaking from lack of experience with Audi.
"S" mode will keep the tranny in 6th gear until around 80MPH (don't have exact speed, sorry) when it will upshift to 7th. I haven't gone fast enough to have it shift to 8th yet....... If fuel economy is important, use "D" mode.

Quick Reply: A rumor to improve oil consumption and transmission