Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

bang and olufsen Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WesQ7
So I just picked up my Q7. I have experienced both the B&O and the Bose. I decided that the Bose was fine and that the B&O was not worth the $5K extra, but others might not.

In all honesty, the B&O was very impressive, but but Bose was pretty good to my ears and if you have kids in your car, then you are not going to really be able to crank it up anyway. But seriously, the Bose sounds good compared to the vast majority of higher end car stock audio systems. To me there was no way to justify the extra $5K unless it meant getting the car I wanted much sooner. Luckily, we found a great car with our spec that did not have the B&O. However, if you are someone who really (and I mean really) values sound, the B&O would be a must have. It was so clear and sounded fantastic. But my suspicion is that the Bose will provide a good solution for well over 90% of buyers. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Agree with this. I had the Bose system in my A6, but the Bose 3d system in the Q7 is definitely better - no doubt about it. It was immediately apparent. The B&O system to my ears was not worth $5k more dollars. But to some people it will be. I thought the Bose 3d audio sounded pretty good (which should tell you the fidelity level of my ears) and it sounded better than most other systems I had heard around the same time.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Being an audiophile, I can live with the Bose. Bose systems are typically bass heavy, so one must make adjustments to the Tone and other sound controls. My Treble is set at 2 o'clock, Bass at 10 o'clock, and SW at 2 o'clock, Focus at All, and 3D at Low will give you a decent soundstage and somewhat balanced sound. No doubt the B&O is better in every respect, but for me, it's not worth the 5 large.
The following users liked this post:
gestalt77 (10-12-2020)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone new opinions on the B&O vs. Bose 3D?

I already ordered my Prestige which comes with the Bose system, but I think I want to upgrade to the B&O. My dealer didn't have a Q7 with B&O, so I couldn't test it to see the difference. I tend to play my music loudly when driving and would really like the sound to be clear.

TIA
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree with jmike52. My '13 S8 has the B & O and our new '17 Q7 Prestige has the Bose. IMHO, the B & O is not worth and additional $5K. The Bose is actually quite good.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I consider myself an audiophile, especially if the amount of cash I needlessly blow on home audio gear for diminishing returns is a metric lol. This is what led me to choose the B&O system for the RS7. Before I ordered our Q7, I compared the 3D Bose with the 3D B&O on two separate extended test drives. The 3D B&O in the Q7 is fantastic, even better than the one in my RS7. But the 3D Bose is no slouch. If you never ever sit inside a Q7 with the 3D B&O, I'm pretty sure you'd be perfectly content with how good the 3D Bose sounds to be honest. In my opinion, the Bose in the RS7 sucked, which is why I ponied up the $5k+ to get the B&O. However, the 3D Bose on the Q7 is rather excellent, making it harder to part with $5k, and so I didn't.

So it really comes down to whether you think marginally improved sound-staging and bass is worth the extra $5k. My advice is if you want to save $5k, don't ever set foot inside a Q7 with the 3D B&O in it... you will get tempted! I nearly was. The wife slapped some sense in me, especially since it's primarily her daily driver to schlepp our kids around, and she doesn't care much about audio. After 2 weeks of ownership with the 3D Bose, I'm very happy with it.

That said, when we trade up to the SQ7 one day, I made her promise me that we would get it with the B&O
Old 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jallen0
I have the Bose and believe myself to be an audiophile. On the Bose system I think it sounds OK however could sound much better with the ability to EQ it a bit. As it comes it is a bit over processed. I really wanted to get the B&O but just could not justify the price after listening to it. If it was a 2-3K option that would have been worth it.

Just my opinion
My thoughts exactly, except bo costs 9000 euros here...
Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a 2013 Q5 with the B&O and a 2014 A7 with the Blose. The B&O in the Q5 sounds so much better than the Blose which has a definite hole in the mid-bass region. The B&O has a much warmer sound. The Blose is very dry. Because of this I ordered the B&O in my Q7.

When we test drove a Q7 with the Bose, my wife who isn't an audiophile like me commented that she thought the Blose in the Q7 didn't sound good and this is after I tried to tweak it. So we are glad we ordered the B&O and looking forward to taking delivery.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout57
I have a 2013 Q5 with the B&O and a 2014 A7 with the Blose. The B&O in the Q5 sounds so much better than the Blose which has a definite hole in the mid-bass region. The B&O has a much warmer sound. The Blose is very dry. Because of this I ordered the B&O in my Q7.
Personally, I would never get the Blose since they are a knock-off version of the Bose.....
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully I can find a dealer with both a B&O and Bose Q7 on their lot. Our current LR4 came with a 875 watt, 17 speaker Harman Kardon system that sounds really good. I really don't want to spend the $5K to get similar quality sound. From my experience with Audi and Bose you never know what to expect. Sometimes it sounds great (allroads) and sometimes it sounds like a clock radio (A4s).
Old 07-03-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I get older (42), I find myself listening to talk radio on my way to work - and on my way home. "All Things Considered" from NPR - Audie Cornish and Robert Siegel and the Diane Rehm show just don't justify the B&O...

Quick Reply: bang and olufsen Impressions