Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?

I passed on the sound system upgrades, thinking that a $60k car would have a decent base system. I was wrong. The sound quality is something I would expect from a car half the price. Even at about 30% volume I can notice distortion.

Does anyone have any suggestions on upgrading components? Start with amp or speakers? I believe there's a small sub in the back but doesn't seem to be very effective.

Last edited by crankTT; 03-26-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by crankTT
I passed on the sound system upgrades, thinking that a $60k car would have a decent base system. I was wrong. The sound quality is something I would expect from a car half the price. Even at about 30% volume I can notice distortion.

Does anyone have any suggestions on upgrading components? Start with amp or speakers? I believe there's a small sub in the back but doesn't seem to be very effective.
I don't have any specific suggestions as to what equipment you should get, but if you really wanted to upgrade your speakers I would try to find a highly regarded automotive stereo shop/installer in your area.
Tell them what kind of sound you are looking for. I would personally go for a stealthy install. Any high quality installer should be able to swap out stock parts with similarly shaped equipment but with a much better sound. Good luck
Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm. I have the B & W in my '13 S8, but went with the Bose 3D for the '17 Q7.

I find the Bose to be terrific listening to Symphony station on Sirius.

What is your source? If Bluetooth, I am certain you know you will lose some fidelity.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari27
Hmmm. I have the B & W in my '13 S8, but went with the Bose 3D for the '17 Q7.

I find the Bose to be terrific listening to Symphony station on Sirius.

What is your source? If Bluetooth, I am certain you know you will lose some fidelity.
I think the OP was referring to the non-upgraded system, not even the Bose one.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Base VS. Bose

Originally Posted by discogone
I think the OP was referring to the non-upgraded system, not even the Bose one.
You are correct, of course. Additionally , I referred to B & W rather than B & O.

For what is is worth, the Bose 3D that comes standard in the Prestige is really good.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an audio snob (LOL) and once dialed in, the Bose 3D system provides a very good sound experience. Pleasantly surprised, in fact! I have no idea if it can retrofitted.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm quite pleased with Audi's base system. It was the only thing I didn't upgrade on my Premium plus and I am glad I didn't, I find the base system just fine. I actually find it better than the upgraded Bose system in a previous QX60. And this is from someone who has the Bowers and Wilkins in their XC90. It is superb and of course better than the base Q7 system, but still, I personally don't find the base system in the Q7 poor. Of course everyone's 'mileage WILL vary' when it comes to audio systems.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I typically listen to a mixture of sirius and (usually higher bit rate) mp3. Thanks for the feedback. I'll investigate options for a 'stealth' upgrade at some point, or if retrofitting is an option at some point.

Last edited by crankTT; 03-27-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crankTT

@CrankTT - I am in agreement with you. I absolutely love my Q7 but I am disappointed in the base sound system. I didn't even think about testing it out when I bought my Q7 assuming that Audi would have kept everything in the car top notch. My bad.

I contacted Audi USA today, not sure what I wanted to get out of it, and told them that I am disappointed with the sound system. They asked if I have taken it to the dealer to have it checked out. I told them I have not and that I do not believe that it is defective but rather a sub-standard sound system which I would not have expected from Audi. They said that they would document my complaint so that it can be shared with the appropriate internal resources.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree the bose system in my experience on my current A7 and other audi I have had is lacking.. (q7 on order but I expect the same)

Solution is to tap into one of the speakers get a line converter to give you a line out. Put that through an amp and add a subwoofer .
that allows you to turn the bass down to a relatively low level and increase the volume without distortion and still have bass .

thats been the only solution Ive seen work however problem is it takes up trunk space for a box/woofer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?