Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm looking into a stealth upgrade that would replace the 6" woofer with a shallow 8" sub and possibly the amplifier. The amplifier seems to be hidden, maybe behind a side panel. Would anybody with a Bose amplifier be able to confirm if that amplifier is visible (there's an empty space where I suspect it may go)? A picture or the layout and part number would be a bonus.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywagenaar
@CrankTT - I am in agreement with you. I absolutely love my Q7 but I am disappointed in the base sound system. I didn't even think about testing it out when I bought my Q7 assuming that Audi would have kept everything in the car top notch. My bad.

I contacted Audi USA today, not sure what I wanted to get out of it, and told them that I am disappointed with the sound system. They asked if I have taken it to the dealer to have it checked out. I told them I have not and that I do not believe that it is defective but rather a sub-standard sound system which I would not have expected from Audi. They said that they would document my complaint so that it can be shared with the appropriate internal resources.
First of all, you guys should decide on what exactly you're blaming, because previous posters blamed Bose 19-speaker Bose system, not the default one (which is noname?). I personally like Bose in the the Prestige. It sounds clear, bass is adequate. Yes, subwoofer sits far back in the trunk 1000 ft from you, so it may be too quiet for some, but I don't listen to the music where subwoofer is important. I'm not an audiophile, but I've played acoustic and electric guitar for many years, was in a band and have decent collection of classic music and progressive rock, where sound reproduction plays important role. 19 speaker setup is very very good. Take my word. My general observation is that when people complain about subwoofer and bass distortions in car audio, they care more about loudness than quality and substance of the sound. I don't hear any distortions at any frequencies at volumes I can tolerate.

P.S. Can't say anything about default sound system.

Last edited by alex904; 04-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are referring to the default system (base system) not the Bose system.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

After doing some digging, it appears that there is no separate amplifier for the OEM system (non-Bose, non-B&A). The amplifier seems to be integrated into the unit inside the glove compartment.

This will be harder than I thought to retrofit (unless the same harness is used and extra wiring is hidden). I'll post an update if I figure anything out.

Is there an emoji for 'regret not buying Bose upgrade'?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audio in 2017 Q7

Originally Posted by jaywagenaar
@CrankTT - I am in agreement with you. I absolutely love my Q7 but I am disappointed in the base sound system. I didn't even think about testing it out when I bought my Q7 assuming that Audi would have kept everything in the car top notch. My bad.

I contacted Audi USA today, not sure what I wanted to get out of it, and told them that I am disappointed with the sound system. They asked if I have taken it to the dealer to have it checked out. I told them I have not and that I do not believe that it is defective but rather a sub-standard sound system which I would not have expected from Audi. They said that they would document my complaint so that it can be shared with the appropriate internal resources.
Same issue: just got a 2017 Q7 last month and love everything about it except the audio. I also made the mistake of not paying for an upgraded sound system, assuming the standard system would be of high quality. Instead, I find the bass is weak and distorts at relatively low volume. I've tried adjusting the bass, treble, balance and fade, and also tried different kinds of music but haven't found anything satisfying, let alone worthy of a vehicle of this calibre. Worse, I had a rental Dodge SUV for a few days recently and the audio sounded much richer.

Any idea if Audi can improve the standard system, or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CBailey
Same issue: just got a 2017 Q7 last month and love everything about it except the audio. I also made the mistake of not paying for an upgraded sound system, assuming the standard system would be of high quality. Instead, I find the bass is weak and distorts at relatively low volume. I've tried adjusting the bass, treble, balance and fade, and also tried different kinds of music but haven't found anything satisfying, let alone worthy of a vehicle of this calibre. Worse, I had a rental Dodge SUV for a few days recently and the audio sounded much richer.

Any idea if Audi can improve the standard system, or do I need to upgrade?

Thanks.
These sound like design/component quality issues. Your best bet is to go to your favorite shop and get upgraded. I'm sure they can find a way to put a good system in, stealthily. You should have space for an amp where the Bose AMP is. Upgraded speakers and a decent sub will go a long way.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I made the same mistake of not upgrading the default speakers in 2017 Q7 premium plus and found the sound quality terrible. It's much worse than my previous 2015 Passat which cost about $30K and has Fender sound system.

Why does Audi put such a poor quality sound system as default one of a $65K+ car?
Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Poor quality base audio system

Had no idea that the base audio system in a toyota tercel would sound better than the base system an Audi Q7. Distortion even at
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Poor quality base audio system

Had no idea that the base audio system in a toyota tercel would sound better than the base system an Audi Q7. Distortion even at 50% volume, depending on what type of music is playing.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

One thing I have found that is an easy fix for improving the sound in any Audi is turn the surround setting off. I find it's accenting the highs to give the false sense of surround at the expense of the mids and bass. I've also found that depending on which system you have that setting the sound focus to the front also helps and even then adjusting the front to read fader in some cases. I've tested this on a 2013 Q5 with B&O, 2014 A7 with Bose and a 2017 Q7 with B&O. I've found by doing this the Blose does not blow as bad as it did before tweaking.

Last edited by Lookout57; 11-27-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?