Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bike rack

I have a two bike platform rack. My Nissan Rogue's blind spot misfires sometimes due to the bike rack in addition to hindering visibility in rear view camera. What's your expeience with Q7? Do the parking sensor or blind spot sensors handle bike racks OK?
Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

This may vary on the exact rack itself, but when I have my 1UPUSA hitch rack installed, whether with 2, 3 , or 4 bikes, the blind spot monitoring still works well. My previous 2012 Q7 would deactivate the blind spot monitors sometimes half-way through my drive, but I have not had that happen with the 2018.
The rear parking sensor, on the other hand, of course beeps when I go into reverse, thinking that there is something back there. That persists when going forward slowly since the sensors remain active. However, as soon as I pick up speed and the sensors shut off, it is not a problem. They also do not automatically re-activate when pulled up to a light behind another car, for instance, since that would be activating the front sensors and not the rear. So everything works as good as could be expected considering the rack and bikes are back there. Of course the camera view is limited, so you do have to be careful and use your mirror more when reversing.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues here other than the beeping in reverse and you could mitigate that by installing this https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html but that does disable some safety features because the car thinks you are towing something
Old 06-29-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by detlefvi
No issues here other than the beeping in reverse and you could mitigate that by installing this https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html but that does disable some safety features because the car thinks you are towing something
Just to clarify for the OP, since he specifically asked about blind spot monitoring. Using something like above, making the car think that you are towing something, will then disable the blind spot monitoring. I would rather have beeping for a little bit while reversing (turn the volume down a bit) in order to still have the blind spot monitors.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
This may vary on the exact rack itself, but when I have my 1UPUSA hitch rack installed, whether with 2, 3 , or 4 bikes, the blind spot monitoring still works well. My previous 2012 Q7 would deactivate the blind spot monitors sometimes half-way through my drive, but I have not had that happen with the 2018.
The rear parking sensor, on the other hand, of course beeps when I go into reverse, thinking that there is something back there. That persists when going forward slowly since the sensors remain active. However, as soon as I pick up speed and the sensors shut off, it is not a problem. They also do not automatically re-activate when pulled up to a light behind another car, for instance, since that would be activating the front sensors and not the rear. So everything works as good as could be expected considering the rack and bikes are back there. Of course the camera view is limited, so you do have to be careful and use your mirror more when reversing.
1UP makes the best hitch racks!

Originally Posted by detlefvi
I wouldn't vote for this, because of disabling pre-sense.

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Just to clarify for the OP, since he specifically asked about blind spot monitoring. Using something like above, making the car think that you are towing something, will then disable the blind spot monitoring. I would rather have beeping for a little bit while reversing (turn the volume down a bit) in order to still have the blind spot monitors.
I do experience some flashing from blind spot with hitch cargo carrier or bike rack installed at lower speed turns. But blind spot works perfect on the highway with the bike rack installed. What is annoying is the reverse ultrasonic sensors when backing up with anything in the hitch, but not much you can do there other than turn down the volume. Hope this helps.