Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

BlackVue DR750S-2CH install (large pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I'll be interested to hear where switched fuse is too. Maybe it depends on model year or build date. Mine is March 2016. I tried to find switched power for another purpose and was never able to find a switched fuse slot in either the footwell or end-of-dash fuse panels. I ended up running a wire up all the way from the back of the rear cargo area 12V socket.
I posted a photo in the other thread
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25076269
I think yellow wire is constant on, and red is switched.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by suanccd
Thanks for the instruction. On the last photo, are you sure that one is 12V and the other is 3V? I measured on mine and both are 12V, when car is switched off. I had to route the power magic pro wires to the fuse box under driver footwell in order to find the fuse that's 0V when car is off.
I had to do the same thing. All of the fuses that were in the fuse box on the side of the dash were all constant power.

Reading up on the Power Magic Pro, if you don't have a switched wire connected, then the PMP does not know that it needs to enter battery save mode and will never turn the camera off. Park your car for a long time and you could drain the battery. Basically it doesn't work as you are intending.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I know my meter said three volts. I've been in electronics most of my life. I have a calibrated Fluke meter. I know what I saw. In all my life of car audio/alarm installs, I've never seen that before.

I had all my doors open and installed the camera first, this took at least an hour. Then installed the PMP after. Are you sure your car is truly off?

I will set the PMP to the lowest time setting and see if it cuts the camera off. But also doesn't the voltage setting shut the camera off if it goes below 12 or 12.5 volts?

When it warms up I'll see if I can repeat the measurement and take pictures.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lectoid
I know my meter said three volts. I've been in electronics most of my life. I have a calibrated Fluke meter. I know what I saw. In all my life of car audio/alarm installs, I've never seen that before.

I had all my doors open and installed the camera first, this took at least an hour. Then installed the PMP after. Are you sure your car is truly off?

I will set the PMP to the lowest time setting and see if it cuts the camera off. But also doesn't the voltage setting shut the camera off if it goes below 12 or 12.5 volts?

When it warms up I'll see if I can repeat the measurement and take pictures.
My multimeter told me the same thing that suanccd said as well, that all of those fuses were constant power. There were lots of fuses in the floorboard fuse box that would switch off after a period of time.

As for how the Power Magic Pro works:
Red Wire = Accessory Fuse wire; this connects to an ignition switched fuse slot that becomes inactive when the key is removed and the engine is switched off. it lets the PMP know when your car is off and activates the voltage detection/timer.
If the accessory wire never signals the PMP that the power is off, then the PMP basically does nothing and never shuts off the power to the dash cam.

Not trying to argue with you or question your lifetime experience with multimeters. I'm the second person that has questioned your 3v reading and I'm only trying to help you prevent a dead battery. Mine is up and running perfect.

Quick way to test my recommendation using the Multi-Boot switch
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/...setup-and-tips

Ignition Off
Multi-Boot Switch On (I)
A. Green Light On
Multi-Boot Switch Off (O)
C. Green Light Off

Ignition On
Multi-Boot Switch On (I)
B. Green Light On
Multi-Boot Switch Off (O)
D. Green Light On