Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Blinking gear-number

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking gear-number

When car coasting, there is only gear box mode shown, like "D", "S" or "E", without gear number.
What I did notice couple times, when driving in "efficiency mode", gear number was blinking, car goes in and out of coasting mode couple times during one second time. And does it for 3-4 seconds period, so during this 3-4 second time it goes into and out from coasting mode up to 10 times...
Have anybody experienced that?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

The gearbox takes out the drive from the current gear and puts the gearbox into neutral. Thus the reason you coast nicely without any resistant.When you press the gas or brake the gearbox puts back the drive into gear, thus you will get a number next to the "D".

I did not experiance what you describe, i.e. rapid change between gears/coasting. I drive always in Comfort mode. When the car switches to coasting it keeeps it still I touch gas/break or slow down sufficiently to apply the brakes.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
The gearbox takes out the drive from the current gear and puts the gearbox into neutral. Thus the reason you coast nicely without any resistant.When you press the gas or brake the gearbox puts back the drive into gear, thus you will get a number next to the "D".

I did not experiance what you describe, i.e. rapid change between gears/coasting. I drive always in Comfort mode. When the car switches to coasting it keeeps it still I touch gas/break or slow down sufficiently to apply the brakes.
I have noticed that blinking only in efficiency mode, and was driving with "predictive efficiency assistant" engaged. So wasn't touching neither of pedals at all.
I noticed it only 3 times, and it seems that there is some situation of "threshold" then computer can't decide what to do. And it seems to be happening on crests of hills.