Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Brighter Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter Backup Lights

We find the backup lights are not bright enough to illuminate the area behind for backing up at night using the backup camera. Anyone have a solution?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

deAutoLED makes some nice bright (white) LEDs. I have them installed on my SQ5 currently. Here's a mini review I wrote on them https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ights-2937735/
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, the backup camera isn't the best at night. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the camera's ISO / brightness settings?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could always turn on your rear fog lights too.. idk how much light you need but it helps a little bit.. or put up a LED bar on the back, LOL..
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrp0rky
you could always turn on your rear fog lights too.. idk how much light you need but it helps a little bit.. or put up a LED bar on the back, LOL..
I generally have trouble backing up my driveway at night but it's even worse when it's cold outside. The cold temperature causes the exhaust gases to flood the camera view and the backup lights in combination with the fog lights make it even harder to see the driveway asphalt/grass line. My driveway is approximately 300 ft long and has 2 long turns in it.

An LED bar would be cool if it were a pickup truck. I suppose I should enlarge the driveway asphalt near the garage so I can turn around better with cars in the driveway instead of backing up and down the long driveway all the time.

In general though, the rearview camera view that incorporates the travel path lines seems a little small and dark.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Trevor K
I generally have trouble backing up my driveway at night but it's even worse when it's cold outside. The cold temperature causes the exhaust gases to flood the camera view and the backup lights in combination with the fog lights make it even harder to see the driveway asphalt/grass line. My driveway is approximately 300 ft long and has 2 long turns in it.

An LED bar would be cool if it were a pickup truck. I suppose I should enlarge the driveway asphalt near the garage so I can turn around better with cars in the driveway instead of backing up and down the long driveway all the time.

In general though, the rearview camera view that incorporates the travel path lines seems a little small and dark.

We have the same problem backing down our driveway. I'm a bit disappointed in how dark the rear view camera is and that you can't make the view fill the entire screen.

What bothers my wife the most is the graphics that show your travel is filled with blue cross hatching which obstructs her view even more. We have a shore brick flower bed wall along a section of our driveway and at night, its so dark and the graphics cover this up making it hard for her to back out. I wish we could modify or even turn off some of the "helpful" graphics without having to change to the distorted rear corner camera view.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well here's a thought... if the problem is only in your driveway/house why don't you guys install an extra solar powered lights around the area where you need more light instead of modifying your cars..
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

well here's a thought... if the problem is only in your driveway/house why don't you guys install an extra solar powered lights around the area where you need more light instead of modifying your cars..
Here you go, being sensible. This is an Audi forum, not solar lights forum. I vote for hitch mounted flood light !!!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's a combination of dim lighting, horrible graphics overlay on the back up camera, and a short brick wall around the flower bed along the driveway adding up to be a pain in the a**. Especially like the poster above noted on a cold night with the exhaust further obstructing the view or on a rainy night.

And yes, I do have landscape lighting to help, but this was not an issue with her previous car. Just one minor inconvenience on an otherwise awesome car. Better camera (not an issue on our other three cars) or brighter reverse lights would be better.

Might have to go with that hitch mounted floodlight
Also, your suggestion may improve for our driveway but that doesn't solve this issue with backing up any other location where the lighting may be bad.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
deAutoLED makes some nice bright (white) LEDs. I have them installed on my SQ5 currently. Here's a mini review I wrote on them https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ights-2937735/
Do they throw a code?

Quick Reply: Brighter Backup Lights