Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

button two door controler looses code

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drummerbrent
Update: It spent a week at the dealer for this and 3 other issues. Dealer admitted that Audi knows the HomeLink is a problem. They sent me home with instructions to clear out all codes stored in my garage door and reconnect the Audi. Even though that didn't make sense (I was an automotive systems engineer for > 20 years), I did it. Problem came back in a week - as did my other 3 (plus a new one). Back to the dealer it goes.
What are the other 3 issues? Audi dealer seems to have trouble resolving my problems as well, like a passenger window that rolls itself down after I start the Q7 every so often.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1
What are the other 3 issues? Audi dealer seems to have trouble resolving my problems as well, like a passenger window that rolls itself down after I start the Q7 every so often.
Yikes! My MMI either totally reboots or goes black for several seconds randomly. With the bumper foot motion, the hatch pops open but won't raise or else clunks and won't close. Door handle lock activation randomly stops working and won't lock or unlock unless vehicle is restarted. The front left obstacle sensor doesn't seem to be working consistently anymore, and for no apparent reason the MMI starts beeping and flashing "Check Surroundings." At first I got a lot of "well, it's new technology..." excuses plus "there are no error codes..." but knowing better, I pressed and now there is a field service engineer involved. I took a video of the lock problem because they couldn't reproduce it at the dealership.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drummerbrent
Yikes! My MMI either totally reboots or goes black for several seconds randomly. With the bumper foot motion, the hatch pops open but won't raise or else clunks and won't close. Door handle lock activation randomly stops working and won't lock or unlock unless vehicle is restarted. The front left obstacle sensor doesn't seem to be working consistently anymore, and for no apparent reason the MMI starts beeping and flashing "Check Surroundings." At first I got a lot of "well, it's new technology..." excuses plus "there are no error codes..." but knowing better, I pressed and now there is a field service engineer involved. I took a video of the lock problem because they couldn't reproduce it at the dealership.
I've taken to carrying the remote opener that came with the gate as a backup. Sounds like Audi has a variety of electronic glitches that are difficult to resolve.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1
That particular gremlin lives in my Q as well. Its happened ~3 times in nearly a year, its pretty obvious so I just roll it back up and move on, not going to waste mine or the dealer's time.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
That particular gremlin lives in my Q as well. Its happened ~3 times in nearly a year, its pretty obvious so I just roll it back up and move on, not going to waste mine or the dealer's time.
You're pretty generous. What if it's pouring down rain? I'd be complaining about that issue. And Audi won't know it's an issue unless it's brought to their attention. There shouldn't be gremlins like this in any car much less a 70K+ luxury vehicle. These are the sorts of problems that drive repeat customers away.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
You're pretty generous. What if it's pouring down rain? I'd be complaining about that issue. And Audi won't know it's an issue unless it's brought to their attention. There shouldn't be gremlins like this in any car much less a 70K+ luxury vehicle. These are the sorts of problems that drive repeat customers away.
That's very well said, though Brimstone sounds like a manufacturer's dream buyer. Please tell me how it is wasting the dealer's time? My issue is the window which comes down does so right next to my 2-year-old son and it could easily happen during rain or perhaps in an accident as well. A month ago, 3 out of 4 windows suddenly rolled down together. Unacceptable, but the dealer couldn't repeat the problem so did nothing. Seems like a pattern with them frankly requiring several visits to elevate the issue and get it addressed.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Its only happened in my garage at startup, and lets say its happened 3 times in the last year. That's 3 out of say ~1000 times (maybe more) starting the car. Pretty bad rate, but if a problem is both uncommon and non-deterministic (there's probably a reason but knowing or finding the trigger renders it non-deterministic) your chance of getting it fixed is pretty close to 0. I mean they have to replicate the problem first, I've spent less time "fixing" this personally than it takes me to pull out of my driveway (let alone the rest of the drive to the dealer and further testing/discussion)

Maybe to be more clear: Its not their time I'm concerned about, its mine.

I'm not saying its acceptable and I put my foot down occasionally but easy to fix quirks which cannot be reproduced on demand simply are not worth the hassle. If I go to the dealer I may mention it at some point but if I can't get them to fix it, what's the point, I've already showed them the HUD glare issue (and RickObe's fix) if Audi can't acknowledge and fix something that simple well....
Old 02-15-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
Its only happened in my garage at startup, and lets say its happened 3 times in the last year. That's 3 out of say ~1000 times (maybe more) starting the car. Pretty bad rate, but if a problem is both uncommon and non-deterministic (there's probably a reason but knowing or finding the trigger renders it non-deterministic) your chance of getting it fixed is pretty close to 0. I mean they have to replicate the problem first, I've spent less time "fixing" this personally than it takes me to pull out of my driveway (let alone the rest of the drive to the dealer and further testing/discussion)

Maybe to be more clear: Its not their time I'm concerned about, its mine.

I'm not saying its acceptable and I put my foot down occasionally but easy to fix quirks which cannot be reproduced on demand simply are not worth the hassle. If I go to the dealer I may mention it at some point but if I can't get them to fix it, what's the point, I've already showed them the HUD glare issue (and RickObe's fix) if Audi can't acknowledge and fix something that simple well....
I get your point but hopefully if enough service writers log the complaint about the windows it will pop up on Audi's radar screen. My car has been in the shop for a month with intermittent soft close door failures that they can't figure out how to fix.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I picked up my 18 Q7 Prestige last week and programmed button 1 stopped working today, so it lasted about a week and half. It worked when I left for work today but didn't work when I came home. it just blinks green. The only change I made was log into Audi Connect for the 1st time. I'll program it again and hope this isn't a regular occurrence.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same homelink problem. It just stops working one day and I've already reprogrammed it 4 times. The Q7 definitely has some gremlins. Another issue is with the backup camera changing to graphic view (top view only) on its own. According to my salesman, Audi is aware of these issues. Well then, fix it Audi!

Quick Reply: button two door controler looses code