Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Cabin Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely quiet but jaguar is still the quietest vehicle ive ever been in.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Since I'm single and don't have kids, I'm very satisfied with the cabin noise level in my Q7...
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

As quiet as my mercades. Definitely quieter than any American cars. I ride in my buddy's caravan and with noise cancellation headphones on, the audi is much quieter. No comparison
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout57
It's the quietest vehicle I've ever owned.
+1. Almost eerily quiet but we're quickly getting used to it.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I find it quieter than my previous Lexus and MB's..

The Lexus was quiet overall but on occasion the passenger door would make a rattling sound that could never be duplicated. Could not figure it out, you could be driving on a smooth road and then all of a sudden the noise came out of nowhere.. Other times you could be driving over a rough surface and I would expect to hear it and no noise..

My two previous MB's a 2011 and & 2012 IMO also weren't as quiet as the Q7. Both had a very annoying creaking sound coming from the left rear seat cargo area that MB could never fix.. They duplicated the sound but after yards of felt tape and several other attempts the sound was still there.

In addition to the sound I mentioned above, the 2011 had a cracking sound (from a month after delivery) that was coming from the right side of the dash where it meets the windshield.. Anytime you went over a bump it sounded like you were stepping on broken glass, it drove me nuts.. Once again MB duplicated the sound, and even a regional rep heard it when he was there to address other issues I was having but it could never be fixed..

So after 15 months and close to 8K miles the Q7 is still very quiet... No rattles, squeaks/creaks of any type..I better not have just jinxed myself..
Old 08-10-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Engine = Quietest engine I ever drove
Road Noise = Not too bad, could be better if RF's replaced with regular tires
Interior = Vents need better air flow, nosiest vents I've seen in any luxury vehicle, I feel the need to turn the fan down so it's quieter, especially B pillar rear vents sometimes whistle.

Some claimed the cabin noise was on par with X5 F15, I disgree, F15 was definitely noisier, F15 engine noise and vibration feel on pedals much more than Q7.
Q7 also does not have windshield or mirror air deflection/whistle/howl I used to get in X5 at high speeds 80+.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Engine = Quietest engine I ever drove
Road Noise = Not too bad, could be better if RF's replaced with regular tires
Interior = Vents need better air flow, nosiest vents I've seen in any luxury vehicle, I feel the need to turn the fan down so it's quieter, especially B pillar rear vents sometimes whistle.
Agreed on all counts. I have to punch the gas hard to try to hear the engine

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Some claimed the cabin noise was on par with X5 F15, I disgree, F15 was definitely noisier, F15 engine noise and vibration feel on pedals much more than Q7.
Q7 also does not have windshield or mirror air deflection/whistle/howl I used to get in X5 at high speeds 80+.
BMWs are engineered for road feel through the steering, pedals, and engine noise. I once watched a video on how even the noise of the wipers is engineered to remind you that you are in a BMW. I personally like the engine noise etc., versus a numb feeling.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Agreed on all counts. I have to punch the gas hard to try to hear the engine

BMWs are engineered for road feel through the steering, pedals, and engine noise. I once watched a video on how even the noise of the wipers is engineered to remind you that you are in a BMW. I personally like the engine noise etc., versus a numb feeling.
Hi all. I am just shocked at the cabin noise in my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus. (16K miles) I even replaced the awful Goodyear RF's with Continental Crosscontact LX Sport (20 inch wheels) which helped some. Included wheel alignment.

Any ideas? Did I purchase a lemon? Purchased last week from a Toyota dealer who took the Q7 in trade. I also learned that the windshield was replaced. Does Audi have a special thicker window to deaden sound?

My previous car was an Infiniti JX-35 which was sooooooo quiet.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by charliehereforyou
Hi all. I am just shocked at the cabin noise in my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus. (16K miles) I even replaced the awful Goodyear RF's with Continental Crosscontact LX Sport (20 inch wheels) which helped some. Included wheel alignment.

Any ideas? Did I purchase a lemon? Purchased last week from a Toyota dealer who took the Q7 in trade. I also learned that the windshield was replaced. Does Audi have a special thicker window to deaden sound?

My previous car was an Infiniti JX-35 which was sooooooo quiet.

Thanks.
Cabin noise can mean anything, can you be a bit more precise in describing what the actual issue is? wind noise, tire noise, road noise, engine noise, vibration, etc? Whatever it is, it shouldn't be happening, outside of MB GL450, this is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's sad that no major car testing magazines or web sites include figures for db levels any more.

Most modern cars are quiet, but for those that care, very quiet is way different than just quiet.

Quick Reply: Cabin Noise