Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car care products

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to the great products mentioned I'd suggest going over to the Autogeek forum and see what the experts are using. There's lot of talk about the new consumer spray on ceramic coatings (Meguiar's, Mothers, Beadmaker and others). I personally like IGL Premier. Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Now that's just creepy (but I'm so jealous )
Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktran350
I just started using their Best of Show System. I did the paint correction, sealant and wax. I used the waterless wash last week and was getting streaks. Got streaks with their spray wax as well. What’s the technique?
Haven't had any problem with streaking - my Q8 & TTS are both Daytona Gray Pearl.
I just start with a very well saturated microfibre cloth, go over the entire car spraying & wiping a panel at a time & then follow up with a very clean microfibre to wipe away any residue. By then though, it's usually dried itself & only minimal finishing is required.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Speaking of tools, does anyone use rotary buffers (Ryobi) on this car. Is it safe?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Ved
Thanks. Speaking of tools, does anyone use rotary buffers (Ryobi) on this car. Is it safe?
Its only as safe as the the person behind it. I wouldn’t recommend trying out on it. If you really want to learn the best thing is to buy a panel ie bonnet from a scrap yard, scratch it up then work with your rotary with different pad / compound set ups to correct the paint.

Or pay and do a detailing course! I ran my own business a few years back detailing cars. It was very rewarding the before and after and the customers face. Now I just look after my own and close friends!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

But in reply yes they are safe. Had to remove a scratch the full length of the passenger side of my old orca black q7 3 times until I found a piece of bush on the way to the gym that kept jumping out on the wife 🙄
Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
+2, and Wow!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. Just to be clear, I meant if using this rotary buffer with a polishing pad to buff paste wax on the car. Is that a bad idea? Do I need to stick with hand buffing? If so, which wax is the best trade off between elbow grease and quality?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you. Just to be clear, I meant if using this rotary buffer with a polishing pad to buff paste wax on the car. Is that a bad idea? Do I need to stick with hand buffing? If so, which wax is the best trade off between elbow grease and quality?
Then yes you would be fine with a super soft pad.

In my eyes it’s pointless though. Your applying a wax coating as a sacrificial layer of paint protection. The idea of polishers and pads / compounds is to remove clear coat down the the level of the lowest scratch to give the crystal clear scratch free look. It would be just as quick to do by hand. I’ve always found collinite waxes to be great for the money. Around 50 cars a tin! Slightly dampened sponge applicator, apply nice and thin remember less is more. (Can always add a second coat) Wait for haze / cure and bingo buff off. Shouldn’t be too much elbow grease and if it is there’s too much wax on there!! 🤣
Old 05-29-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And dependant on your car colour you can get different glaze / wax / sealants to compliment the colour. There are so many on the market I’ve used a lot ha ha.

It it all depends on what your after but ideally have the car professionally machine polished to remove all swirls. / scratches and have a Gtechniq ceramic coat applied and you can achieve up to 5 years protection allowing you to just do the weekly / monthly wash and you know your car is always going to look spot on and be protected from all elements

Quick Reply: Car care products