Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car Play and Parking Sensors

Old 01-08-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Play and Parking Sensors

Hi, I purchased a brand new 2017 Q7 in August and have been meaning to post for a while! This forum has been very helpful and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors!

I usually plug in my iphone to use Apple car play, if for any reason my parking sensors get activated i notice that it kicks me out to the main MMI screen and i cant get back into Apple car play. The only thing that works is to unplug the phone and plug it back in! Has anyone else experienced this? An example is when i first get into the car i plug my phone and Car play comes on then i put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and the sensors come on but then after i am done reversing and i put it into Drive, it switches to the Main MMI menu and if i click on Car play it does nothing!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had my car for 8 months now and over the past 2-3 months I've noticed the same thing, something seems to have changed, perhaps ios11 release? I'm coming up to my 10k service so was going to address it with the dealership then. I'm hoping it's a SW update/reset thing that will resolve.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zoharulz
Hi, I purchased a brand new 2017 Q7 in August and have been meaning to post for a while! This forum has been very helpful and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors!

I usually plug in my iphone to use Apple car play, if for any reason my parking sensors get activated i notice that it kicks me out to the main MMI screen and i cant get back into Apple car play. The only thing that works is to unplug the phone and plug it back in! Has anyone else experienced this? An example is when i first get into the car i plug my phone and Car play comes on then i put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and the sensors come on but then after i am done reversing and i put it into Drive, it switches to the Main MMI menu and if i click on Car play it does nothing!
Yes, it works the same way on my Q7.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i think its an os issue. i have no problems on my work phone that is still ios10 only on my personal iphone x
Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problem here. I was about to post something similar.
My 2017 used to do it occasionally but now does it every time the sensor comes on. I actually only updated to the new IOS last week and the problem had already started. I was hoping IOS update would fix. I found that if I switch to a different source like XM and then come back to menu I can now “select” CarPlay in the menu and it goes back to the CarPlay screen.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did some research and it appears ios 11 and carplay was not a success for everyone. A lot of different issues across different car types, some of which have been resolved with updates. I think I have a work around for us until Tim Cook get's to our problem. This worked for me the past ~10 times it's happened and although not perfect it's WAY better than fumbling around under the armrest to reconnect the phone.

Setup:
2017 Prestige
iOS 11.2.1

Problem:
When parking sensors are activated, manually or automatically, you get kicked out of Carplay and when you try and select it again it seems to attempt to open it but fails and returns you to the main MMI screen. CarPlay does not stop playing but you cannot enter to change/see anything.

Workaround:
When you are kicked out select "Media" using the buttons on the MMI control panel. Carplay will stop playing at that moment and 1 of 2 things can happen.
1) Carplay instantly returns and you can press "Play" to continue.
2) Media menu is shown on screen. At that point I can return to main menu and select Carplay as normal.

Let me know if this works for you fols as I would still like to understand if the issue is common across multiple users or I'm the special one
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by erwheezy
i think its an os issue. i have no problems on my work phone that is still ios10 only on my personal iphone x
My iPhone is still on iOS10, and I have the issue. I don't think this is an iOS issue since I have had this issue since I had the Q7 2 years ago (was it iOS 8?)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone contacted the dealer yet. While the workaround does work, this is starting to be a pain. It did it occasionally for me before but now does it every time the parking sensor comes on, which can be quite often. I’m due for my 10k checkup in a couple more months so will mention then. Would be great to know if anyone else has had success. I realize that there can be issues with CarPlay but this isn’t working at acceptable level anymore.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you pushed the button on the dash to turn off the parking assists to return to CarPlay? I sometimes use CarPlay and don’t remember having any issues with this (2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.1)
Old 01-12-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bfishernc
Have you pushed the button on the dash to turn off the parking assists to return to CarPlay? I sometimes use CarPlay and don’t remember having any issues with this (2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.1)
At least for me - I have tried this before, it did not solve the issue. Like the OP mentioned, the only solution is to unplug and plug again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Play and Parking Sensors