Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Cargo Mat and Trunk Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I was planning to get cargo cover then I am glad I didn't get it with my Q7, it would be another hassle to deal with when I unfold the 3rd row, since there is barely any space behind 3rd row.
So if anyone will use 3rd row frequently, skip the cargo cover.

As for mats, I thought it comes with 3rd row mats, doesn't it?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I was planning to get cargo cover then I am glad I didn't get it with my Q7, it would be another hassle to deal with when I unfold the 3rd row, since there is barely any space behind 3rd row.
So if anyone will use 3rd row frequently, skip the cargo cover.

As for mats, I thought it comes with 3rd row mats, doesn't it?
I am referring to a cargo (area) mat that can be fully unfolded to cover the whole cargo area when the 3rd row of seats is folded down, but then fold up (my Acura mat would fold up the front 2/3s to end up taking up 1/3 the final space) when the 3rd row seat backs are deployed. Sorry, if that was confusing. Yes, the 3rd row has floor mats.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
I am referring to a cargo (area) mat that can be fully unfolded to cover the whole cargo area when the 3rd row of seats is folded down, but then fold up (my Acura mat would fold up the front 2/3s to end up taking up 1/3 the final space) when the 3rd row seat backs are deployed. Sorry, if that was confusing. Yes, the 3rd row has floor mats.
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to OP's "The cover I assume goes to second row. We do have a fair bit or car crime, so anything visible like my earthquake kit is fair game"
For someone who uses 3rd row often, cargo cover is pretty useless and a hassle, since there is no place to store it.

In reference to cargo area mat, Yes, I would love one that can be folded up or down, but it would have to be secured to back of the 3rd row this way it stays there, it would be nice. Most cargo area mats cover the mounting points so that's a bit of a hassle. I am planning to keep my 3rd row up and stash a duffel bag behind it with all my valuable stuff (removed luggage full of "valuable" crap from my X5 that I was hauling around, because it has amazing amount of storage under that floor hatch). Instead of cargo area security cover, I have rear sunshade, which I think should help a bit covering anything I have in the back.
Good luck with cargo area mat search, please keep us posted.

PS: I usually can't stand the cold weather mats in other vehicles, but Audi managed to make them bearable, however I'll be replacing them with plushes possible mats I can find once winter is over. I love plush feel under my feet.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to OP's "The cover I assume goes to second row. We do have a fair bit or car crime, so anything visible like my earthquake kit is fair game"
For someone who uses 3rd row often, cargo cover is pretty useless and a hassle, since there is no place to store it.

In reference to cargo area mat, Yes, I would love one that can be folded up or down, but it would have to be secured to back of the 3rd row this way it stays there, it would be nice. Most cargo area mats cover the mounting points so that's a bit of a hassle. I am planning to keep my 3rd row up and stash a duffel bag behind it with all my valuable stuff (removed luggage full of "valuable" crap from my X5 that I was hauling around, because it has amazing amount of storage under that floor hatch). Instead of cargo area security cover, I have rear sunshade, which I think should help a bit covering anything I have in the back.
Good luck with cargo area mat search, please keep us posted.

PS: I usually can't stand the cold weather mats in other vehicles, but Audi managed to make them bearable, however I'll be replacing them with plushes possible mats I can find once winter is over. I love plush feel under my feet.
All points noted above <thumbs up>. It is some of the "little things" that make me sad in my transition to the Q7, but hey, that's life. I might well just trim down my MDX mat and just make it work. LOL. And agreed on the rear sunshade -- that approach works!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the verdict on weathertec vs tough pro
Old 10-31-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
And on this same theme, am looking for a rear cargo mat myself, but specifically, one that can fold into thirds for when the third row of seats is being used -- I don't want to have to remove it and stow it somewhere whenever that third row is being used.
I have the weather tech which covers the entire cargo area behind the 2nd row seats. When we use the third row, infrequently, the material is pliable (bendable/soft) enough, it just folds back. It's really the perfect mat if you only use the third row every so often.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with TrevorK that the Weathertech is the way to go. Initially, I had the Audi cargo mat pre-ordered as part of the build of my 2018 Q7. Later figured out that if you do it this way you are charged $195 for a cargo mat that has an MSRP of $155. Unlike the Weathertech cargo mat, the Audi mat does not have cutouts for the third row seat belts. Deceptively, in some of Audi's ads for this product the third row seat belts are nowhere to be seen in the images provided, making it less likely that you would notice this problem until after you bought it. I returned the Audi cargo mat, and got the Weathertech, which costs less and is a better product. Although I don't have experience with cargo mats that are even less expensive, I would be wary of a mat that is too stiff to fold or roll out of the way or one that has firm rubber spikes on its underbelly that may damage the factory fabric. Note that if you want to use the tie-downs with the Weathertech cargo mat in place that you will have to use a box-cutter or sharp knife to cut out the pre-molded areas in the corners of the mat to expose these areas.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I have used the Canvasback trunk liner on my previous, 2012, Q7 as well as my current 2018 Q7. It is pricey, but is a well-made waterproof canvas liner for the trunk. It is made to line the trunk floor in such a way that the floor compartment can still be opened, and it then extends independently to the back of the third row seats. That way they each be raised independently. There are liner pieces to put on the back of the 2nd row as well, so it protects the back of the second row from feet if people are sitting in the 3rd row and protects the 2nd row if those seats are put down as well.

It comes in different colors (I got black to match the interior and camouflage away) - The website shows it in gray which gives a good idea of how the coverage works.
https://www.canvasback.com/index.php...l?___SID=U&f=1

The three downsides of it are: 1. It attaches/stays in place with the stiff part of velcro that is sewn to the liner. That velcro sticks to some car interiors just fine, but unfortunately the Audi carpet doesn't hold the velcro. So, it also supplies the fuzzy part of the vecro with double-sided tape which you stick to the Audi carpet. This is fine for the cargo part of things, but doesn't hold great to the seat backs when they are up. It seems to do better over time by pushing it back down or reinforcing with 3M heavy-duty mounting tape. It seemed like I was pushing it back down every so often at first, but after a month now seems to hold just fine. That happened on my 2012 Q7 at first as well, and then held fine for the 4 years I had it.
2. It does not have a lip like the rubber mats do, but I find that although I'm trying to protect from a little moisture (melting snow from skis) at times, I'm mainly worried about dirt/mud from the dog, mountain bikes, or camping gear. Generally not gallons of water, so the lip has never seemed necessary. The advantage of no-lip is that if I want to put something long in the trunk, it doesn't get caught up on a lip!
3. It is a bit slick. If you put an unsecured box back there, it will slide around. I have a net I have kept since my Volvo wagon which hooks onto all 4 cargo tie-downs and I put groceries, etc, under that to keep them in place.

Advantages to the liner are: 1. You can put seats up or down and be protected at all times without having to deal with an awkward cargo mat, AND it protects the back of the 2nd row. This makes it priceless in my mind. 2. It is indeed waterproof and easy to clean. 3. Based on my last car, it holds up well, even if the way it attaches seems cheesy. I abused the trunk area and it still looked new when I gave the car back to Audi.

Note: like the Weathertech, if you want to use the tie-downs, you do have to cut the liner over those areas to allow access. Easy to do. The Latch access points, the handle to flip the middle row, and the handle to raise the hatch in the cargo floor are all exposed through pre-cut squares.

This post turned me on to the product to begin with and has a great review: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...liner-2810862/
Old 11-04-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I have used the Canvasback trunk liner on my previous, 2012, Q7 as well as my current 2018 Q7. It is pricey, but is a well-made waterproof canvas liner for the trunk. It is made to line the trunk floor in such a way that the floor compartment can still be opened, and it then extends independently to the back of the third row seats. That way they each be raised independently. There are liner pieces to put on the back of the 2nd row as well, so it protects the back of the second row from feet if people are sitting in the 3rd row and protects the 2nd row if those seats are put down as well.

It comes in different colors (I got black to match the interior and camouflage away) - The website shows it in gray which gives a good idea of how the coverage works.
https://www.canvasback.com/index.php...l?___SID=U&f=1

The three downsides of it are: 1. It attaches/stays in place with the stiff part of velcro that is sewn to the liner. That velcro sticks to some car interiors just fine, but unfortunately the Audi carpet doesn't hold the velcro. So, it also supplies the fuzzy part of the vecro with double-sided tape which you stick to the Audi carpet. This is fine for the cargo part of things, but doesn't hold great to the seat backs when they are up. It seems to do better over time by pushing it back down or reinforcing with 3M heavy-duty mounting tape. It seemed like I was pushing it back down every so often at first, but after a month now seems to hold just fine. That happened on my 2012 Q7 at first as well, and then held fine for the 4 years I had it.
2. It does not have a lip like the rubber mats do, but I find that although I'm trying to protect from a little moisture (melting snow from skis) at times, I'm mainly worried about dirt/mud from the dog, mountain bikes, or camping gear. Generally not gallons of water, so the lip has never seemed necessary. The advantage of no-lip is that if I want to put something long in the trunk, it doesn't get caught up on a lip!
3. It is a bit slick. If you put an unsecured box back there, it will slide around. I have a net I have kept since my Volvo wagon which hooks onto all 4 cargo tie-downs and I put groceries, etc, under that to keep them in place.

Advantages to the liner are: 1. You can put seats up or down and be protected at all times without having to deal with an awkward cargo mat, AND it protects the back of the 2nd row. This makes it priceless in my mind. 2. It is indeed waterproof and easy to clean. 3. Based on my last car, it holds up well, even if the way it attaches seems cheesy. I abused the trunk area and it still looked new when I gave the car back to Audi.

Note: like the Weathertech, if you want to use the tie-downs, you do have to cut the liner over those areas to allow access. Easy to do. The Latch access points, the handle to flip the middle row, and the handle to raise the hatch in the cargo floor are all exposed through pre-cut squares.

This post turned me on to the product to begin with and has a great review: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...liner-2810862/
I've been looking on Amazon for pet seat covers for my cat who would like nothing better than to put his claws into the seats of my new Prestige and I found there are pet covers for even the back of the car behind the 2nd row that will completely fold up. They are padded, waterproof and washable. They attach to the back headrests and can be anchored in so they don't move. They might be a good substitute for the cargo mat.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitchens97
thanks for that. Didn't see that.
I'm considering buying this one as well. I dont need anything heavy duty, just something to protect the rear carpet area from day to day use, and maybe a spill or 2. Have you been happy with it?

Quick Reply: Cargo Mat and Trunk Cover