Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkenshin
Thank you for the feedback. How many bottles did you use for 3 coatings?
Only about half (50ml) it is very easy to apply. I did the wheels also.

Check out there Instagram. Lots of pictures
I'm on Instagram as @liquidarmour. Install the app to follow my photos and videos. https://instagram.com/download/?r=4521805667
This is one coat on my truck paint and headlights.
Very hydrophobic the more coats you put on.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Slowerider29er
I have been getting our vehicles coated with Ceramic Pro. Great product. I should have my Q7 back this Saturday and will post pictures.
I'm also thinking of getting Ceramic Pro applied to my new Q7. Any pictures that you can post would be much appreciated. Did you also pay extra to have the paint swirl marks removed before the Ceramic Pro was applied? My dealer is saying that he would recommend it for black cars but it is not necessary for white ones. Thanks.

CarSwami
Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CarSwami
I'm also thinking of getting Ceramic Pro applied to my new Q7. Any pictures that you can post would be much appreciated. Did you also pay extra to have the paint swirl marks removed before the Ceramic Pro was applied? My dealer is saying that he would recommend it for black cars but it is not necessary for white ones. Thanks.

CarSwami
No professional Ceramic Pro installer would apply the coatings before doing a complete paint prep with any car or color. Find another installer.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto... no detailer will put the coating on before fully cleaning the paint.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m also considering going with either Instant Armor or Cquartz through a good detailer in my area. My question is, I’ve had my q7 for about 9 months, and as far as I can tell the paint is still in really good shape, but is the ceramic coating only worthwhile to apply when the car is brand new? I read that somewhere before.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
I’m also considering going with either Instant Armor or Cquartz through a good detailer in my area. My question is, I’ve had my q7 for about 9 months, and as far as I can tell the paint is still in really good shape, but is the ceramic coating only worthwhile to apply when the car is brand new? I read that somewhere before.
No. The reason you have heard some form of that, I think is because the longer you wait to coat the more the paint will get defects, swirls etc. So that will be more of a costly endeavor as there will have to be more paint correction done. Most of the cost on ceramic coatings is in the prep.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Most of the cost is in the detail and piant correction that you are going to want to do before putting the coating on. What is under the coating is what you sre goong to see after coating and you won’t be able to correct it then without sanding off the coating.

Ceramic coating provides durability and keeps it looking the same with less care. The surface tends to be slicker reducing stuff from sticking as hard. It provides some protection from water stains, bird droppings, tar, etc making them easier to remove when done in a timely manner. You don’t need to wash as often to keep the surface looking new. Two years ago I coated my wife’s new car with Opti-Coat (after detail) and it still looks new. I hand wash (one bucket method) every month or two. No car washes!

Things to look for is coating thckness, which you will find comparative data if you search. This gives you an indication of durability. The other is resistence to staining, slickness and shine/luster, all subjective. And guarantee.

Ceramic coatings do not prevent scratches and dings etc. It will give you a surface you won’t have to wax to keep it looking good. With detail is costs a lot but for me it has been easier to maintain.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No professional Ceramic Pro installer would apply the coatings before doing a complete paint prep with any car or color. Find another installer.
Originally Posted by Gsrjc
Ditto... no detailer will put the coating on before fully cleaning the paint.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I will look for another detailer.

CarSwami
Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had ceramic pro done on my Q7 and love it.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi All

I've got a question regarding the amount of time it takes to treat a Q7 with either Ceramic Pro or Opticoal Pro/Plus. I've contacted three different detailers in my area whose names I found on the Opticoat website. One guy told me that he would get it done in half a day, another guy said that it would take about 12 hours, while the third guy said that he would need me to leave the vehicle with him for 3-4 days. They are all charging about the same amount to do the job, but the huge difference in the amount of time they need to complete the job does not seem to make sense to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

CarSwami

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating