Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

changing first oil sooner?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default changing first oil sooner?

I have always done the first oil change on my (new) vehicles sooner than the regular interval suggested (due to residues from the the break in, or left overs from factory, etc).
Our 2018 Q7 has 4600km (around 3000 miles) on it and I am going to take it for the first oil change. I have Audi care but they won't do it unless it has at least 12000km or I pay for it.
Looks like I am going to pay for the first one and then after than go with regular intervals. Anyone other suggestion/recommendations?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You will never damage your engine by changing your oil more often. Go for it.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cant hurt. I never have, change 10k miles or each year, whichever comes first on all my vehicles. I've never changed after break-in as thats only for performance cars. But it cant hurt for your piece of mind
Old 02-02-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always do early changes on my new cars. Just did it myself on the SQ5 this week at 5500 km. I think i did it on the Q7 at roughly the same km.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd View Post
I have always done the first oil change on my (new) vehicles sooner than the regular interval suggested (due to residues from the the break in, or left overs from factory, etc).
Our 2018 Q7 has 4600km (around 3000 miles) on it and I am going to take it for the first oil change. I have Audi care but they won't do it unless it has at least 12000km or I pay for it.
Looks like I am going to pay for the first one and then after than go with regular intervals. Anyone other suggestion/recommendations?
There was a different process with non-synthetic oils back in the day, and some of the recommendations were a throw back to the day when oil had no or few additives. Nowadays there is no reason to change the synthetic oil more often than recommended interval. There have been some studies to suggest that changing too often is detrimental, others show the opposite. Honestly, who cares. My suggestion, if you plan to keep your car for more than 100K miles, change it more often, if not, stick with manufacture's recommendation, this way you won't void warranty. Frankly, with the oil burn-off, if you ever reach the limit outlined in the manual - 1/2 quart every 600 miles - you won't need to change the oil, just keep on topping it off
Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
There was a different process with non-synthetic oils back in the day, and some of the recommendations were a throw back to the day when oil had no or few additives. Nowadays there is no reason to change the synthetic oil more often than recommended interval. There have been some studies to suggest that changing too often is detrimental, others show the opposite. Honestly, who cares. My suggestion, if you plan to keep your car for more than 100K miles, change it more often, if not, stick with manufacture's recommendation, this way you won't void warranty. Frankly, with the oil burn-off, if you ever reach the limit outlined in the manual - 1/2 quart every 600 miles - you won't need to change the oil, just keep on topping it off
My understanding for the first one sooner that others is due to break in period you might have little debris created by the break in (rings, cylinders, etc) that get into the oil. There might be also some left from manufacturing that you want to get ridof sooner as they act like a sandpaper inside engine.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My understanding for the first one sooner that others is due to break in period you might have little debris created by the break in (rings, cylinders, etc) that get into the oil. There might be also some left from manufacturing that you want to get rid of sooner as they act like a sandpaper inside engine.
That's what the oil filter is for.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My understanding for the first one sooner that others is due to break in period you might have little debris created by the break in (rings, cylinders, etc) that get into the oil. There might be also some left from manufacturing that you want to get ridof sooner as they act like a sandpaper inside engine.
Again, "experts" are divided on that one, with the understanding that modern engines come broken in, there is no need for brake-in period, and there should be no debris in the oil. On the other hand, we should still follow the brake-in procedure for the first 500 miles, go figure.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did mine after 1,000 miles for the reasons you point out. Now I do it every 5,000 miles myself and let the dealer do the 10,000 mile service.

Like the smart man said, it never hurts to change the oil more often.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Q7 View Post
I did mine after 1,000 miles for the reasons you point out. Now I do it every 5,000 miles myself and let the dealer do the 10,000 mile service.
Like the smart man said, it never hurts to change the oil more often.
Only in the pocketbook, if that factors into the equation. Otherwise, unless you plan to keep your vehicle for like forever, you'll be perfectly fine adhering to the manufacturers's recommended servicing intervals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing first oil sooner?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: