Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Chipwerke Ultimate anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Chipwerke Ultimate anyone?

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find a Chipwerke Pro for my '18 A6 3.0T and '17 Q7 3.0T. The cable connectors from the Chipwerke Pro doesn't fit. The cable connectors are much bigger from Chipwerke Pro.

According to Chipwerke, the Pro does not work for the Q7. Can anyone verify that the Chipwerke Pro does indeed not work with the 4M Q7?

Has anyone tried the Chipwerke Ultimate? I just purchased the one for my 3.0T Q7 for $599. It can only be ordered over the phone, and it is tuned to the octane that you use. I've tested the RaceChip GTS Black with my Q7 and was not impressed as my butt dyno might have felt a power gain. Here is what the representative told me for the gains for Pro vs Ultimate:

"It would be 305Kw where the pro would be 293Kw. 415Ps where the pro would be 398Ps. 551Nm where the pro would be 534Nm"
I'm tired of waiting for APR so I will be a guinea pig for us 3.0T 4M Q7s. I'm skeptical and I'm already assuming that this unit will be returned after my butt dyno. Since Chipwerke offers a 30day money back guarantee, I decided to test it.

I'll probably try to make a video difference of the acceleration via speedometer when I receive the chip unit.

Last edited by itiongo; 08-17-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add q7 to description
Old 08-19-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I'd assume all the Chipwerke products to connect exactly the same (so if the pro doesn't work, I doubt the ultimate would). That is pretty odd. I thought all the B9 platform vehicles would connect the same (it is the same 3.0 turbo -- I thought...)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wires
I'd assume all the Chipwerke products to connect exactly the same (so if the pro doesn't work, I doubt the ultimate would). That is pretty odd. I thought all the B9 platform vehicles would connect the same (it is the same 3.0 turbo -- I thought...)
I thought so too, but the Engine map sensors are different on the Q7 4M and 2016+ C7 A6. I'll let everyone know if the Ultimate works.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Installed the Chipwerke Ultimate today. Pictures of the unit below.

I drove the car without the Chipwerke for 30 minutes doing some launches(0-60mph) and some 40-60mph accelerations. Installed Chipwereke, then did some launches (0-60mph) and some 40-60mphs accelerations. The car felt no difference. There is a road I use for the launches and I'm pretty sure there is no difference in acceleration. I am was only able to reach 71mph before the road curves with and without the Chipwerke. Perhaps Audi figured out a way to prevent chip tunes on the 4M Q7? Anyone else have any experience with chip tunes for the 4M Q7?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It sounds like something just isn't working then with that unit. I run the DTUK unit on my '18 SQ5, and there is a really aggressive night/day difference when it engages (noted it's pretty unrefined on how it engages, but the gains are noticeable).

The factory ECM works on trying to hit torque targets. What this allows is even at lighter throttle, it will let the boost spool up to get maximum torque (and up to a maximum boost pressure). Once it hits the pre-assigned torque target, the wastegate opens to release any extra boost. These add-ons mount inline with the boost sensor. So when the ECM is trying to hit a boost target, the add-on scales back the boost sensor output so the ECM thinks it can get more boost in the engine before opening the wastegate. The ECM has no clue that you've added this device.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

This morning I did a slow to full throttle on "AUTO" and was surprised. Right around 3000RPM there was a huge boost in acceleration. Scared me for a second, as it caught me off guard. I went from 10mph to 35mph in an instant. This is indeed the turbo lag feeling that is supposed to happen. It seems the unit is starting to work. I'll give an update again later when I can drive for 15+ minutes.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what you should be experiencing.

If you drive in "sport mode", it should be a bit more noticeable since there is better throttle response. It's not really "turbo lag" you are feeling, it's the unit starts to work at 3000RPM (so you get a step jump of boost at that point).
Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

From a stand still launch, it feels the same. However, slow to full throttle definitely kicks hard. The Q7 under acceleration now feels much much lighter, like a Q5, under moderate acceleration. The acceleration is pretty smooth with no hard jerks, except for the throttle response under higher RPM. I'm pretty impressed with the power delivery, and think I will keep it. Chipwerke Ultimate is definitely better than the RaceChip GTS Black. If only I lived closer to a Dyno, I am very interested to see the gains.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
From a stand still launch, it feels the same. However, slow to full throttle definitely kicks hard. The Q7 under acceleration now feels much much lighter, like a Q5, under moderate acceleration. The acceleration is pretty smooth with no hard jerks, except for the throttle response under higher RPM. I'm pretty impressed with the power delivery, and think I will keep it. Chipwerke Ultimate is definitely better than the RaceChip GTS Black. If only I lived closer to a Dyno, I am very interested to see the gains.
This. And the car hustles to 100 from 70 quickly. Surprised the hell out of me
Old 08-24-2018, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep in mind if you snap the throttle from a dead stop, it is "drive by wire" so the throttle won't open instantly, and the ECM will restrict opening speed to minimize driveline strain.

You will find better results if you just start to move, and then rapidly press the gas (not a quick snap though).

Quick Reply: Chipwerke Ultimate anyone?