Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Climate Control

Has anyone experienced their Climate Control suddenly blowing cold air on a setting that worked previously and what was the fix.
I always keep mine set at 72 and it always worked once the engine got warm. Now at the same setting it is blowing cold air and I need to adjust 10 degrees higher to get warm air.

I asked the same question in another thread but was not able to just change the title so excuse me for starting a new thread. Thanks

Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 AM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
Has anyone experienced their Climate Control suddenly blowing cold air on a setting that worked previously and what was the fix.
I always keep mine set at 72 and it always worked once the engine got warm. Now at the same setting it is blowing cold air and I need to adjust 10 degrees higher to get warm air.
I have three vehicles - Q7, 2009 Caddy CTS-V, and Tesla-S. All of them warm up to the set temperature, and then turn off the heater. The result is cold outside air starts blowing through the vents. So, I turn up the setting a degree. 10 minutes later, I'm feeling cold air again. I turn up the temp. Ten minutes later, I'm feeling cold air on my arms again. Turn up the temp.

Eventually, i reach a temperature setting where the heater on the lowest air flow can just hold the temperature inside at the specified setting with the cold outside temperatures sucking heat though the glass windows. That way, the heater never turns 'off' and I never get the resulting flow of unheated outside air.

The only solution is recirc, but that times out, and ends up giving me foggy windows.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks but I never had a problem until I brought the car back for warranty work which included brakes, fuel rails and software download for front camera.
Always set it at 72 and was fine. Now it's this BS and Audi is not calling me back.

Last edited by GBMILTON; 03-13-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:36 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe one of your coolant lines was pinched when the other work was being performed, here is why I say this..

I was having an issue with my Allroad, after it had been sitting overnight I would need to leave the interior temp setting on “High” for the first 45-50 mins of driving in order for the interior to heat up. If I tried any other setting the vents would blow cool (not cold) air.

For example, after driving for approx 20 mins on several occasions I would lower the temp setting to 84 degrees and the vent would still blow cool air. Only after driving for approx 45-50 mins was I able to lower the control to 84 and receive heat. In addition even after driving for 50 mins, if I tried to lower the temp control to anything below 80 degrees it would blow cool (again not cold) air.

The tech found that one of the coolant hoses was severely pinched, and he also noticed a slight coolant leak around the thermostat housing.. So he replaced the hose, installed a new thermostat, flushed and replaced the coolant and everything has been good since.

Might be worth it to mention this when / if they call you back..
Old 03-12-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

JT4 Very much appreciated. I just copied your post and emailed to the Service manager as I will be going over there later this morning.

Stayed tuned. IMO responses like this are so very helpful. This forum is great when this happens.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

You're welcome, granted different vehicle but same principle so hopefully it helps..
Old 03-12-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm calling BS Nothing wrong they claim, with a long explanation about the CC. No answer to my question why after 2 1/2 years of using automatic at 72 without cooled air... I got NO Answer. Asked if anything overlapped when they changed the fuel rails and they said no. Paper work from last Friday which I finally got today had a reference to coolant. When I brought this to the service manager's attention he said coolant may have leaked and the topped it off. Change in the explanation raises a re flag.

Am asking those who got their fuel rails replaced if CC or coolant is involved.

Thanks

UPDATE: Service folks called disappointed that I got so angry so soon. They want to make it right so I've deleted the name of the dealer and will work with them. I'll keep you updated. Want to be fair

Last edited by GBMILTON; 03-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
I'm calling BS Nothing wrong they claim, with a long explanation about the CC. No answer to my question why after 2 1/2 years of using automatic at 72 without cooled air... I got NO Answer. Asked if anything overlapped when they changed the fuel rails and they said no. Paper work from last Friday which I finally got today had a reference to coolant. When I brought this to the service manager's attention he said coolant may have leaked and the topped it off. Change in the explanation raises a re flag.

Am asking those who got their fuel rails replaced if CC or coolant is involved.

Thanks

UPDATE: Service folks called disappointed that I got so angry so soon. They want to make it right so I've deleted the name of the dealer and will work with them. I'll keep you updated. Want to be fair
Had my fuel rails repaired today. Here is what my ticket says:

qty Part Number Description
1 06E-198-201-B Rep. Set
6 06E-998-906 Repair Kit
5 G-013-A8J-S0 Cool.Add.
2 N-909-865-01 Clip

Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know dbull , thanks for this. So I'm thinking something else and will take the fuel rail change off the table.

Still on warranty so I'm wondering what's up. Read the manual and watched the video on My Audi about the climate control. Set it and forget it. No need to turn up and then when it gets too hot turn it down.
Who needs to go back even one extra time never mind multiple times. I feel for those who have limited dealers long distances away. I hope if things don't get corrected I can go to another dealer. All and all I'm impressed the service manager called and wants to male this right...I really hope so.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Zeroing in on CC proble and need your help

Just a quick update on this annoying issue. ( see above as I started this thread). I had the opportunity to take my car to another dealer to try and analyze and correct my issue post fuel rail recall and camera software update. (Second dealer was very patient and somewhat helpful but the issue is still present) So just the other day I turn down the CC from 74 to 72 and the driver's side upper outside vent is blowing much cooler air than the middle upper vents. This NEVER happened before. I never experienced such a sharp contrast in air flow before.
Now I know it's getting out of heating season but may I ask if anyone has experienced this issue at all and in particular those who had the fuel rails and camera software update. All mind trying this out...get heat to 74 or 75 and when warm turn it down to 72 and share with me what happens. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Climate Control