Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

collision avoidance / automatic braking features

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collision avoidance / automatic braking features

If I ordered a Prestige trim with Driver Assistance package, and cruise control is not turned on, is there any automatic braking functionality above 52 mph (for cars built for the US)? The brochure doesn't seem to suggest so.

This issue might swing us towards an X5 40e, though I still need to confirm the specifics of the auto-braking feature there.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

No, Pre Sense City is disabled above 52 so you need ACC on for highway speeds.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW my S5 will flash that I'm too close, and auto brake, with ACC turned off at high speeds. Can't speak for Q7.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW my S5 will flash that I'm too close, and auto brake, with ACC turned off at high speeds. Can't speak for Q7.
The Q7 will flash if you follow too closely, but I don't know if it will brake or not. I guess it would, but i think it just pre charges the brakes.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure crash avoidance is on also at high speeds if crash is imminent. You just cant test it at high speeds without risking ..well crashing. It worked much more aggressively at low speeds. I was backing up on a busy street and it suddenly braked although there was still some distance between me and the street. Very nice system. Pre sense city which works up to 52 mph is pedestrian detection. These are two separate systems. In the X5 it is much less aggressive and only my wife has gotten it to work, when something was happening with the kids in the back and the car in front suddenly braked forcefully. She said it just braked a fraction before her.

Edit: Seems what I said is not entirely true as basic has no auto brake and city also avoids turning cars in crossections:
In the case of an impending accident, Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes closing the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts, and preparing the brake system for a quicker response during an unexpected or emergency maneuver
Standard Audi pre sense city detects cornering and stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, at speeds of up to 52 mph and initiates full braking when a potential collision is detected.
Available Audi pre sense plus (part of Driver Assistance package) supplements Audi pre sense city with a collision warning, as well as emergency braking up to 137 mph

So for the OP, yes the driver assistance package has auto brake.

Last edited by kip1; 04-23-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kip1
I am pretty sure crash avoidance is on also at high speeds if crash is imminent. You just cant test it at high speeds without risking ..well crashing. It worked much more aggressively at low speeds. I was backing up on a busy street and it suddenly braked although there was still some distance between me and the street. Very nice system. Pre sense city which works up to 52 mph is pedestrian detection. These are two separate systems. In the X5 it is much less aggressive and only my wife has gotten it to work, when something was happening with the kids in the back and the car in front suddenly braked forcefully. She said it just braked a fraction before her.

Edit: Seems what I said is not entirely true as basic has no auto brake and city also avoids turning cars in crossections:
In the case of an impending accident, Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes closing the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts, and preparing the brake system for a quicker response during an unexpected or emergency maneuver
Standard Audi pre sense city detects cornering and stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, at speeds of up to 52 mph and initiates full braking when a potential collision is detected.
Available Audi pre sense plus (part of Driver Assistance package) supplements Audi pre sense city with a collision warning, as well as emergency braking up to 137 mph

So for the OP, yes the driver assistance package has auto brake.

DAP in US Q7 does not contain pre sense plus and thus Q7 in US does not have emergency braking above 52 mph although based on some experiences some owners have indicated there may be a degree of partial braking above 52 mph.

There is an entire thread devoted to this question. It is confusing because of Audi literature which would lead one to believe pre sense plus is present in all 2017 Q7's ( it isn't). Also, it is difficult, based on reading available Audi information, to determine where features and interventions of Audi pre sense city/basic end and pre sense plus begin.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info, folks. It is disappointing to me that Audi for the US market would castrate already-developed technologies that are enabled elsewhere. Maybe something to do with fear of litigation if they claim high-speed functionality but then it doesn't work perfectly?

Anyway I thought the Q7 would be a slam-dunk purchase decision, but now an X5 is possible, and my wife now wants to test drive a Tesla S.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NPKR
DAP in US Q7 does not contain pre sense plus and thus Q7 in US does not have emergency braking above 52 mph although based on some experiences some owners have indicated there may be a degree of partial braking above 52 mph.

There is an entire thread devoted to this question. It is confusing because of Audi literature which would lead one to believe pre sense plus is present in all 2017 Q7's ( it isn't). Also, it is difficult, based on reading available Audi information, to determine where features and interventions of Audi pre sense city/basic end and pre sense plus begin.
I'll clarify what each Pre sense system does according to Audi.

Pre sense basic (standard)
  • Tensioning of the seat belts and slack reduction
  • Closing the side windows and sunroof
  • Activating the hazard lights

Audi Pre sense rear (side assist must be installed)
  • Closing of the sunroof and windows
  • Tensioning of the seat belts
  • Inflation of the seat bolsters and backs (Individual contour seats)
  • If a possible collision is detected, the brake lights will flash rapidly for 3 seconds to warn the following vehicles.

Pre sense front (Driver's Assistance Package)
  • Audible and visual early warnings
  • Pre charges the brakes
  • Brake jolt warning
  • Automatic emergency braking
  • Turn assist (turn signal must be on and vehicle must be under 6.2 MPH)
  • Collision avoidance assist (in addition to braking, steering assist is provided to prevent the driver from over correcting; active from 18.6-93.2 MPH)
  • ACC
  • Traffic sign recognition
  • Activating the hazards

Pre sense city (standard)
  • Camera based system that responds to vehicles and pedestrians
  • Brake jolt warning
  • Pre charges the brakes
  • Automatic braking
  • Activating the hazards
  • The system is active above 6.2 MPH
  • The system can initiate braking up to 52.8 MPH
  • The system will warn against cars but will not brake up to 155.3 MPH
  • The system can reduce vehicle speed by approximately 25 MPH.

So it seems like there is some form of warning at higher speeds and braking assistance, but nothing that will stop or significantly slow the vehicle as if ACC was active.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Can you site the source for this? Is it for US cars?

thanks.

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I'll clarify what each Pre sense system does according to Audi.

Pre sense basic (standard)
  • Tensioning of the seat belts and slack reduction
  • Closing the side windows and sunroof
  • Activating the hazard lights

Audi Pre sense rear (side assist must be installed)
  • Closing of the sunroof and windows
  • Tensioning of the seat belts
  • Inflation of the seat bolsters and backs (Individual contour seats)
  • If a possible collision is detected, the brake lights will flash rapidly for 3 seconds to warn the following vehicles.

Pre sense front (Driver's Assistance Package)
  • Pre charges the brakes
  • Brake jolt warning
  • Automatic emergency braking
  • Turn assist (turn signal must be on and vehicle must be under 6.2 MPH)
  • Collision avoidance assist (in addition to braking, steering assist is provided to prevent the driver from over correcting; active from 18.6-93.2 MPH)
  • ACC
  • Traffic sign recognition
  • Activating the hazards

Pre sense city (standard)
  • Camera based system that responds to vehicles and pedestrians
  • Brake jolt warning
  • Pre charges the brakes
  • Automatic braking
  • Activating the hazards
  • The system is active above 6.2 MPH
  • The system can initiate braking up to 52.8 MPH
  • The system will warn against cars but will not brake up to 155.3 MPH
  • The system can reduce vehicle speed by approximately 25 MPH.

So it seems like there is some form of warning at higher speeds and braking assistance, but nothing that will stop or significantly slow the vehicle as if ACC was active.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RickObe
Can you site the source for this? Is it for US cars?

thanks.
US cars. It's came from what Audi sends to dealers for training. I just shortened and paraphrased it.

Quick Reply: collision avoidance / automatic braking features