Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Comparison of New Q7 vs. previous model

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Comparison of New Q7 vs. previous model

I own and 2013 Q7. It's a Prestige model with the TDI engine. I love this car and have had NO problems with it. I use it for car camping, off roading, long road trips, and lots of chores and Home Depot runs. I love everything about this car and must say it's my favorite car I've ever owned (and I have owned some great cars over the years). With that said, I am starting to get the itch for something new. I have driven other car lines but see nothing from BMW, MB, Tesla, Range Rover, or any other manufacturers that remotely interests me. I have narrowed my search down to a new Q7 vs the Q8.

Here are some of my observations so far:
  • I drove a new 2019 Q7 last week and kept it over night. I loved the new interior and all of the technology improvements in the new 2019 model - but, I was really disappointed in the handling for the new model. Compared to my 2013, the new 2019 handled like a large barge. I felt like the new model had lost all of its cornering and it felt like it was twice as big when driving.
  • I have also looked at the Q8, but I am disappointed to see that the seats don't fold down totally flat like the Q7. This issue is important for me because I sleep inside the car when I car camp.
  • The Q8 is also a few inches shorter inside the rear of the car. I am concerned I will miss these 3 or 4 inches when I use the car for sleeping and when I use the car for Home Depot trips.

I am wondering - has anyone else come from an older model Q7? If so, what are your observations on how the new Q7 handles when comparing it to the older model? Did you road test or compare your Q7 against the new Q8? What made you decide to select the Q7?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

What was the configuration of the 2019 you test-drove? I went from 2012 TDI Prestige with air suspension to a 2018 Q7 Prestige with air suspension, spurred on by the TDI buyback. I'm surprised that you felt like the 2019 drove like a barge, because I felt like the new Q7 was smoother than the old, but also felt more nimble and actually felt smaller to me...but maybe it's the 4-wheel steering that is part of the air suspension for the 2018-2019 Q7s. I'm assuming the one you test drove did not have the air suspension? For off-roading, etc, I would recommend it. I've enjoyed lifting the car to get to more remote trailheads in Moab where the only other vehicles were much bigger trucks. Needless to say, I've been very happy with the switch and have felt like the engine is also more responsive and more fun to drive. The one downside is the fuel economy is a bit less than the TDI, as expected, but not nearly as bad as it could be considering its size.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks AlbertQ7 - your reply is very helpful. I suspect your hunch is correct. I am currently driving a 2013 Prestige with Air Suspension, and the 2019 was a Premium with no Air Suspension.

I use my Air Suspension all the time for off road trips in Utah, etc. When I'm driving around town or on the freeway I always have the car in the down position in Dynamic mode. I'm guessing this is why the difference was so dramatic. I will stop in a dealership and drive a 2019 with Air Suspension and see how it feels compared to mine.

You are right also about the mileage - I love that I get 30 mpg right now with a full tank of gas giving me 700+

miles of range. I am ok with losing that if I can retain the handling and get all of the new technology improvements.

One more question - what wheels and tires are you using when you off-road in Moab? I am driving with 21" Audi wheels and low profile tires which are great on the freeway, but I am nervous that I will flat sometime in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road. I really need to look at buying a set of 19" wheels with a taller tire that has higher resistance to off-road damage.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerneil
You are right also about the mileage - I love that I get 30 mpg right now with a full tank of gas giving me 700+ miles of range.
Wow, I hope you are referring to older TDI model, there is no way you are going to get 700+ range out of the new 2.0T or 3.0T.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the stock 20" wheels/tires and am also always nervous going off the beaten path, but have not yet had any issues. I have 19" rims with Blizzak tires for winter - the last thing I need is ANOTHER set of tires for trailering/camping! But, yes, that would be ideal and I think there are some more aggressive tire options in the 19" range.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

gsobol - Yes, I was referring to my 2013 TDI. My range is 700 miles - which is usually farther than I can handle between bathroom stops .
Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

gsobol - Yes, I was referring to my 2013 TDI. My range is 700 miles - which is usually farther than I can handle between bathroom stops .
Damn Audi. My buddy has the TDI, and i really wanted a Diesel this time around but Audi killed the whole market. He get 500-600 miles on a tank. I get about 350
Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Me too !! The longest I made it between bathroom brakes was 360 miles - just because I refused to stop in Nebraska From Colorado to Iowa