Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Consider buying an extra tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Consider buying an extra tire?

there has been a lot of discussion on the new run flat tires and the fact that they go for about 50 miles after a flat but cannot generally be patched and must be replaced with a new tire. I am often on the road and live in a rather rural area, which creates 2 problems for me: getting to a preferred destination within 50 miles and finding a tire store that carries the tire. My experience has been that the tire will have to be ordered, which can take a while. So I was thinking about purchasing an extra tire and just keeping it in case I needed it. Does this make sense and has anyone thought about this? My other concern is putting on a new tire when the others are more worn. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katskill
there has been a lot of discussion on the new run flat tires and the fact that they go for about 50 miles after a flat but cannot generally be patched and must be replaced with a new tire. I am often on the road and live in a rather rural area, which creates 2 problems for me: getting to a preferred destination within 50 miles and finding a tire store that carries the tire. My experience has been that the tire will have to be ordered, which can take a while. So I was thinking about purchasing an extra tire and just keeping it in case I needed it. Does this make sense and has anyone thought about this? My other concern is putting on a new tire when the others are more worn. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!
I live in West Texas and I am waiting for my Audi. I will be ordering a spare wheel for use on long trips. The closest dealers in this region can be up to 300 miles away and I cannot risk to get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere.

These were here the prices quoted —

20" bi-color 10 spoke wheel @ $1,150
Center cap (optional) @$120
285/45r20 All Season tire @$453.50
Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan to purchase an extra wheel and tire for the same purpose. May not be able to get to a dealership or tire shop but I can get home and swap the wheel/tire. No one around me will have Run Flats. I Plan to order a whole extra set of winter tires too.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The car comes with a compressor and tire slime. Other than having a catastrophic tire failure, the aforementioned tools should allow you to get to a repair place without running on zero pressure so that the tire can be repaired. Otherwise there’s always Audi roadside assistance.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katskill
The compressor with the slime that the Q7 comes with should work. Living in Wisconsin, I have a separate set of snow tires on rims. I bought 5 - not so much for local driving, but, for trips, I'll through it in the back.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Why not buy a donut type spare that will work for the Q? I know some of the earlier 2017s came with one, so I'm sure its available. That way you can use it if needed, and not worry about mounting a tire, and uneven wear etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Why not buy a donut type spare that will work for the Q? I know some of the earlier 2017s came with one, so I'm sure its available. That way you can use it if needed, and not worry about mounting a tire, and uneven wear etc.

Are space saver tires available for Q7 ?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Polonium1
Are space saver tires available for Q7 ?
I havent seen any but they used to be available on the P and P+ previously. I'm sure one could find one or its available soon.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '10 Q7 had a donut like that with a compressor and I used it when I had a flat...it worked fine...just had to keep it under 55 mph. I used it until my new tire arrived...
Old 10-23-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Tire Rack can shave tire to a requested tread depth. They charge extra, but not much. I've recently ordered one shaved tire for my wive's car.. Shaving off 3/32" came to $25 extra. The order was placed in the morning on Tuesday and did show up on my porch on Wednesday.
As others noted, having winter and summer sets of wheels/tires allows to use an opposite season item as a spare - whether a long trip to underpopulated region is planned or just to get by until shaved tire will show up. Comes with inconvenience though...

Quick Reply: Consider buying an extra tire?