Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Convince me not to cancel my 2019 order for 2020 please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convince me not to cancel my 2019 order for 2020 please.

Hey all,

So... while my 2019 Q7 2.0T P+ is waiting in Emden to be loaded onto the next ship, more details of MY2020 emerging. From previous reports, we knew there will be a mild face-lift, which I don't really like, a potential 48V mile Hybrid drive train and more advanced autonomous drive system that may or may not be implemented in the US due to DOT regulations. Now, what really caught my attention is the interior. According to some spy shots last week (link at the bottom), the 2020 Q7 will be equipped with Audi's new infotainment system with 2 screens like those in brand new A6, A7, and Q8.

I used to feel neutral about these induction-cooktop-like touch screens. They are very bad for fingerprints and dust. But looking at all the reviews on Youtube made me hesitate. That is just day and night different from 2019. However, it's too late for us to jump the ship because we already sold our old car back in September since we don't need a car till December There's no easy solution for us at this point if we want to wait for 2020... So please talk me out of guys

After all, I think 2020 Q7 worth waiting for many people.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...sign-22732.htm
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have personally used the new touch screen UI in the new A8 - my dealer invited me to use it for the week - (I have been buying all my Porsche
and Audi and BMWs from the same owner that owns multiple brand dealerships for over 25 yrs - so he invites me to drive new models around periodically)

it it is the future - but I absolutely hated it. Even after 6 days I thought I would get used to it.

I fiddle with seat heating and cooling and cabin temp often during the course of my daily 30 mins commute.

i really hated having to look down to see where I was at on the screen. I think those are two controls that need to be placed back as physical ***** and buttons

next wad was the finger prints - omg - the ocd in me was cleaning it twice a day

Ok now here comes the part that bothers me most : it’s been cold here last few days : I wore gloves.

i had to friggin take them off to use the touch screen

i know you can buy touchtec gloves - but wth??!!

order your q7 - it’s a timeless design - that’s what I love about Audi’s - you can step in a 5 year old Audi and most people wouldn’t know

Last edited by audisession; 11-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Skip the 19 and pick up something you can drive around until the 20 is released. I hate the current interior so much we went from a two Audi house to none. The new interior is how it should of been done from the release of the mkii.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I used to think I would retract the pop-up screen whenever possible before I got my 2018 Q7, but the truth is I never do because that screen is so much easier and faster and less distracting to view than the glorious VC screen. The pop-up screen is really a quick sideways saccade instead of a vertical eye movement, and we do much better and faster with horizontal eye movements compared to vertical ones. I have not seen the new version in person, but based on the photo above and the leaked photos of the 2020 Q7, the main screen is actually LOWER than the VC screen. That's a big mistake, IMHO. They should have at least put it at the top of the dash with the air vents on either side or below it, rather than below the vents. I also LOVE not having to reach forward to reach the screens - everything is done from the touchpad and the round controller with the arm resting comfortably on the armrest. I think the current system is ergonomically impossible to beat and is the safest system because it be used without even looking at your fingers based on tactile feedback. I assume the driving force for the change was only to make things look more modern and compete with the large screens that were launched by Tesla and copied by everyone else.
Keep your 2019 that's on its way and enjoy!
Last thin - the current MKII Q7 was at least two years if not more late to market compared to what was originally forecasted because of design issues/changes. I doubt the mid-cycle facelift would see similar delays, but you may have to consider that it could still be a full year or more away from actually being available...
Old 11-12-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, not a fan of the touchscreen only approach. Touchscreen is great on a device that you can devote a 100% of your attention to such as a phone or the car's Infotainment system while the car is stationary. While moving, touchscreen is totally distracting. BMW and Mercedes have added touchscreens, but not removed other redundant input methods. Mercedes has even added small touch pads to the steering wheels to operate the system while driving. Audi thinks that you will use voice control when driving to adjust temperature etc., but I think that's very short sighted. Or they think the haptic feedback makes it possible to operate the system w/o looking, which I venture isn't the case. I'm kinda amazed that we have laws prohibiting holding your phone to make a phone call, but having to operate everything through a touchscreen that requires moving one's eyes off the road is somehow OK.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly, I don't believe the location of the new screens will be a huge issue. In fact, the main screen behind the steering-wheel combined with the HUD is what I'm using 90% of the time. I'm already planning on getting screen-protectors which should reduce the amount of prints for the few times I'll actually touch the screens.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

One big thing of note, is don’t take for granted that because some website says it will be 2020, that it will actually be here for sale to buy as a 2020 let alone in 2020. I think you’ll find yourself disappointed. We are always behind the euro curve.

Touch vs non will forever be a debate. Im
of the “I really don’t care as long as it works”. I spend considerable time with all these cars. I like some more than others. I was with a Q8 for 2.5 hrs last week bringing it in for a client - the touch screen is extremely easy to use even while driving because you can set favorites of things you toggle between often. I did so just for a few Sirius channels. The voice control worked extremely well...no pairing needed, I just said “food”, and I got a list of places nearby. Clicked the one I wanted, it navigated me there.

Something will always be “on its way”, and “coming soon”.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 11-12-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try playing around with one at the dealership. I think the new A6/A8s have them but I'm not sure if they're in dealers yet.

That might give you a better idea. Is the touchscreen standard across all lines of the Q7? Looks like something that would be standard on a Prestige but optional on a P+
Old 11-12-2018, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
One big thing of note, is don’t take for granted that because some website says it will be 2020, that it will actually be here for sale to buy as a 2020 let alone in 2020. I think you’ll find yourself disappointed. We are always behind the euro curve.
I believe at this stage of development in the spy pics and the fact that MY20 is still a few months out, it's a safe call this facelift will be releaeed in 2019 as MY20. I doubt they will produce a non-facelifted version and the new version for different countries at the same time. The only delay over here compared to Europe will be based on the fact that the vehicle will have to be shipped to the US.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

2020 MY is a year away, so if you can wait, then do it. You are already nervous about the upcoming change and will regret your 19. Sure the touch screens dont have the best reviews yet, and i agree some physical buttons are required, but eventually that's where all the Audis are headed.

Quick Reply: Convince me not to cancel my 2019 order for 2020 please.