Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Crack in the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crack in the windshield

Got in the car this morning and discovered a crack in the windshield. Pretty sure it wasn’t there yesterday.

It’s deep through the glass and I don’t see any rocks or any other damage. Looks like it just cracked by itself. Did someone have this? Is it worth asking Audi for a free replacement?

​​​​​​
Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Windshield replacement is almost always covered by insurance without a deductible.

I had mine replaced and it will be most of the day for replacement and a recalibration of the camera and that might include a software update. Not sure about software update.

What I did was asked the glass company to do the work at the dealer and have the recalibration completed right after to avoid it being a two day deal. The dealer I had this done at does not replace wind shields but they should recommend a company near by.
Good luck
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks to me as it was hit by a rock pebble. Quite usual damage - especially with salt/sand mix on a road in winter time. One thing I've learned about German vehicles windshield glass replacements is that one should always ask for OEM parts, never allow substitutes. An insurance company will definitely insist on a cheaper option from a third party supplier, but I'll stand my ground offering to pay the cost difference - then they will back off and agree. My dealer sub-contact glass replacement company and work is done at the dealer in one visit.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Looks to me as it was hit by a rock pebble. Quite usual damage - especially with salt/sand mix on a road in winter time. One thing I've learned about German vehicles windshield glass replacements is that one should always ask for OEM parts, never allow substitutes. An insurance company will definitely insist on a cheaper option from a third party supplier, but I'll stand my ground offering to pay the cost difference - then they will back off and agree. My dealer sub-contact glass replacement company and work is done at the dealer in one visit.
Especially important if you have HUD. Aftermarket glass apparently doesn’t work correctly with it.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

There was clearly an impact at the start of the crack. Didnt just happen
Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I've had the windshield in my Q7 replaced twice. Both times in my driveway, and never had any calibration done.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW I've had the windshield in my Q7 replaced twice. Both times in my driveway, and never had any calibration done.
I bought a car that most likely had a replaced winsdshield and the dealer stated it could be the reasoning for nuisance driver assist feature errors I am seeing, had all the alignments and calibrations done and no luck... but most will tell you it is necessary...
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Had to replace my windshield twice in 2017 Q7 Prestige with HUD. Used OEM at local shop that does Audi work....OEM windshields have pre mounted bracket on windshield to hold camera so placement is exact...installer says he hasn't had to have a calibration done yet with this system.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mra1228
Had to replace my windshield twice in 2017 Q7 Prestige with HUD. Used OEM at local shop that does Audi work....OEM windshields have pre mounted bracket on windshield to hold camera so placement is exact...installer says he hasn't had to have a calibration done yet with this system.
Ditto
Old 03-20-2019, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Well then shame on me for listening to the dealership and doing the alignment / calibration.
Car had 40k miles so it wasn't a bad idea to do an alignment anyways since it's new to me and I know I am starting from square one...

Quick Reply: Crack in the windshield