Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

DAP in Snow Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Well there are plenty of other manufacturers that allow you choose between regular or adaptive cruise, so I'm pretty sure Audi could do the same. It's ridiculous that Audi doesn't allow you to choose between the two, because there are times when adaptive wont' work but regular is totally appropriate. The example posted here shows how relevant being able to choose is.
Adaptive is needed for future "autonomous driving" so having it allows them to log more miles on the system to validate it's effectiveness. In Canada, you need to order the DAP Plus to get adaptive, otherwise we just have plain old regular cruise. Is the US different?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Adaptive is needed for future "autonomous driving" so having it allows them to log more miles on the system to validate it's effectiveness. In Canada, you need to order the DAP Plus to get adaptive, otherwise we just have plain old regular cruise. Is the US different?
Let me clarify...it's ridiculous that you can not choose to turn of the adaptive part of the cruise if needed and default back to a standard cruise control. I didn't mean to imply you should have to choose how to equip your car, but you should be able to have a regular cruise control even if an adaptive sensor malfunctions or becomes dirty if bad weather. There are simply times when regular cruise control is still required and I wouldn't want adaptive to be my ONLY option.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Isn't the front radar domes heated to melt off snow? I thought I saw that in the coding....
Not as far as I can tell. If they are heated, it is definitely not effective enough.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ohh sorry. Fully misunderstood that. Yes, I'd have to agree that is odd that you cannot just switch to normal cruise (just like the auto wipers). I suppose you can drop the distance to the lowest setting which be the "next best thing".
Old 03-12-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RickObe
Not as far as I can tell. If they are heated, it is definitely not effective enough.
Just wondering. There was some mentioned about heaters when I was messing with OBDEleven.

Could be one of those situations where even if they were slightly heated, if you reach a point where they get inhibited, then you shouldn't be using DAP due to safety reasons.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ohh sorry. Fully misunderstood that. Yes, I'd have to agree that is odd that you cannot just switch to normal cruise (just like the auto wipers). I suppose you can drop the distance to the lowest setting which be the "next best thing".
Lowest setting is not going to help if the ACC is disabled by slush on the radar domes.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Fair enough. But then you shouldn't be using cruise in those conditions anyways. You are putting a lot of faith in technology that cannot see or understand road conditions (only detect obstacles in front of it).
Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fair enough. But then you shouldn't be using cruise in those conditions anyways. You are putting a lot of faith in technology that cannot see or understand road conditions (only detect obstacles in front of it).
Did you read this thread? The point was made that slush accumulates and then the road ahead becomes clear and you can't use the ACC until pulling over and freezing your fingers off clearing the slush.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sure.... read the thread. My point still stands. Ever heard of black ice? How about the really nifty 360 spinout into the ditch because of it?

I have never encountered a situation where the car has slush on it, and the road is magically 100% clear and drive a short way after. Maybe it's just where I live then....
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sure.... read the thread. My point still stands. Ever heard of black ice? How about the really nifty 360 spinout into the ditch because of it?

I have never encountered a situation where the car has slush on it, and the road is magically 100% clear and drive a short way after. Maybe it's just where I live then....
Then you've never driven southward out of the Lake Erie lake effect snow band. The roads can go from snow and slush to bone dry in less than a mile.

Quick Reply: DAP in Snow Conditions