Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam Install via mirrortap - success!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

Crazy things happened a lot on the road these days. I already have 2 friends got someone back up and hit their car in the front. In the end, the front car drivers all claimed my friends rear-ended them in both cases. They all end up paying without any wrong doings. Without a dashcam or other witness, you have no chance to win such kind of case.

Last edited by tzchang; 08-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tzchang
Eric,

Crazy things happened a lot on the road these days. I already have 2 friends got someone back up and hit their car in the front. In the end, the front car drivers all acclaimed my friends rear-ended them in both cases. They all end up paying without any wrong doings. Without a dashcam or other witness, you have no chance to win such kind of case.
thats kind of what i figured. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EricNCSU1204
So just curious Larry, but what are your reasons for wanting/needing a dash cam?
Like what tzchang just said, lots of crazy things happen on the road, and me living and working in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, the crazy can go off the charts.

From awful careless driving, crazy pedestrian and cyclists stunts, and other events. I see them all on a regular basis. One of these days it will directly involve me, and it certainly can't hurt to have video footage as evidence should it help me or any other innocent party's cause.

Just this year alone, I already had a tour bus run me off the road because the driver was just not paying attention to his blind spot. I had to no choice but to swerve and hit the curb and honk my horn violently before the bus driver finally realized what he had done. Minor cosmetic wheel damage for glancing off the curb at around 35mph and the bus driver just kept driving. I thought about chasing him down but I had 2 kids in the car and had other business to attend to. Bus driver didn't even signal to switch lanes. In another incident, some asshat overtook me and then brake checked me enough that I had to brake hard to engage ABS because he somehow thought that I was going too slow at 60mph on a 40mph zone on Chicago's busy lake shore drive. Would've been nice to have dash cams installed for these incidents.

Last edited by larryV; 08-09-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larryV
Like what tzchang just said, lots of crazy things happen on the road, and me living and working in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, the crazy can go off the charts.

From awful careless driving, crazy pedestrian and cyclists stunts, and other events. I see them all on a regular basis. One of these days it will directly involve me, and it certainly can't hurt to have video footage as evidence should it help me or any other innocent party's cause.

Just this year alone, I already had a tour bus run me off the road because the driver was just not paying attention to his blind spot. I had to no choice but to swerve and hit the curb and honk my horn violently before the bus driver finally realized what he had done. Minor cosmetic wheel damage for glancing off the curb at around 35mph and the bus driver just kept driving. I thought about chasing him down but I had 2 kids in the car and had other business to attend to. Bus driver didn't even signal to switch lanes. In another incident, some asshat overtook me and then brake checked me enough that I had to brake hard to engage ABS because he somehow thought that I was going too slow at 60mph on a 40mph zone on Chicago's busy lake shore drive. Would've been nice to have dash cams installed for these incidents.
understand, thanks Larry.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I followed your steps to the dot but couldn't get my Rexing V1 2.4" LCD FHD powered. It was still operating in battery.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Joe1351
I followed your steps to the dot but couldn't get my Rexing V1 2.4" LCD FHD powered. It was still operating in battery.
I believe the Rexing V1 has a 5V power input since it was designed to be USB powered. The mirror tap is for devices that have 12v input DC power only (like straight out of a car battery), like most radar detectors and some korean-made dash cams. For the Rexing, you will likely need some kind of 12v to 5v power transformer along the way.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EricNCSU1204
understand, thanks Larry.
also if you look online there are tons of videos showing pedestrians faking being hit by the car and purposely jumping on the hood and banging their heads on the glass to get insurance payments for being "run over"
Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
I believe the Rexing V1 has a 5V power input since it was designed to be USB powered. The mirror tap is for devices that have 12v input DC power only (like straight out of a car battery), like most radar detectors and some korean-made dash cams. For the Rexing, you will likely need some kind of 12v to 5v power transformer along the way.
I followed your advise and got a 12V to 5V step-down transformer and my Rexing is working like a charm. I genuinely appreciate you trying to help everyone here. thanks a lot buddy.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Canada and can't find the MirrorTap cable. Do you think this would work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Radar-Mount-Mi.../dp/B00RA38Y8U
Old 08-21-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Joe1351
I followed your advise and got a 12V to 5V step-down transformer and my Rexing is working like a charm. I genuinely appreciate you trying to help everyone here. thanks a lot buddy.
glad it worked out for you

Quick Reply: Dashcam Install via mirrortap - success!