Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thinking about using the Rexing hardwire kit to tap into the mirror assembly for my A119 on the Q7. Does anyone know if the transformer is small enough to be fitting inside the cover?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dunno but don’t know why anyone would want a mirror tap since it loses power when the car is off. If someone breaks into the car when it is parked, there is no hope of having video of them.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Thinking about using the Rexing hardwire kit to tap into the mirror assembly for my A119 on the Q7. Does anyone know if the transformer is small enough to be fitting inside the cover?
Can't say for sure, but I kind of doubt it. Plus the cable from the transformer to the USB plug is very long (approx 10'), so that's a lot of cable to hide. It would definitely not fit in the mirror housing. You would have to try to shove it up into the headliner.

Why not just run down to the fuse panel in the end of the dashboard? For me, that was actually easier than monkeying around with the mirror housing covers.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For those of us not worried about being parked but only when moving.

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Dunno but don’t know why anyone would want a mirror tap since it loses power when the car is off. If someone breaks into the car when it is parked, there is no hope of having video of them.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I already have my radar detector hardwired going to the fusebox by the foot rest as there are no switched spots on the left of the steering column....

Originally Posted by RickObe
Can't say for sure, but I kind of doubt it. Plus the cable from the transformer to the USB plug is very long (approx 10'), so that's a lot of cable to hide. It would definitely not fit in the mirror housing. You would have to try to shove it up into the headliner.

Why not just run down to the fuse panel in the end of the dashboard? For me, that was actually easier than monkeying around with the mirror housing covers.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Found another hardwire mini usb

Amazon Amazon

It's a left angled mini usb perfect for the A119 so you don't have to loop the connector when coming from the headliner. It's also a much shorter wire.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Found another hardwire mini usb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...83RV6W5M&psc=1

It's a left angled mini usb perfect for the A119 so you don't have to loop the connector when coming from the headliner. It's also a much shorter wire.
That looks like a much better chance at fitting in the mirror housing.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just mounted my front camera. I mounted mine on the passenger side of the mirror housing. I popped the large center trim piece(really easy) and ran the wire up to the headliner, through the mirror housing, and back into the headliner. Put the trim back on and it's nice and clean... Getting around the corners was a pain, but I was able to get it done... The only unresolved issue I have was with the seam between the headliner and the a-pillar. I could not get my wire in there no matter how hard I tried. I may give it another shot tomorrow... Everything else worked out. I just have about 5 inches of exposed wire running along that seam...
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VanDamme
The only unresolved issue I have was with the seam between the headliner and the a-pillar. I could not get my wire in there no matter how hard I tried. I may give it another shot tomorrow... Everything else worked out. I just have about 5 inches of exposed wire running along that seam...
Interesting. I found that spot a "little" tricky, but not terribly so. The trick was to get a nylon pry tool under the a-piller trim piece and pull it out slightly, then while holding it out, follow with the cable closely behind, shoving it in with another tool. The a-piller trim overlies the headliner, so that's the one you pull out. I didn't want to pull it out too far (or remove it) because the airbag is under there close by. But I didn't have to pull it too far.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Interesting. I found that spot a "little" tricky, but not terribly so. The trick was to get a nylon pry tool under the a-piller trim piece and pull it out slightly, then while holding it out, follow with the cable closely behind, shoving it in with another tool. The a-piller trim overlies the headliner, so that's the one you pull out. I didn't want to pull it out too far (or remove it) because the airbag is under there close by. But I didn't have to pull it too far.
I think I was trying to pull out the headliner, maybe that was the problem... I'll try to a-pillar tomorrow,,,

Quick Reply: Dashcam installation