Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Anonymous_Lurker
Yeah, I wish there was a solution where if someone hits your door as you are parked, it could capture the side view to identify who it was.

Thanks for the pics! I may pick one up.

Do you have a rear camera too or OK with just the front?

I do not have the rear camera. I wish I did. I don't know why we can't just tap into the factory four cameras, that would be great. But it is what it is so... I bought a normal car camera and it is still in the car. I hard wired it into the mirror block. It kind of sucks. You need to pull out the SD card and insert that into a mini SD card reader and that into your computer to download up to 24 hours of five minute clips and then hopefully remember what time you were wanting to view.

Having the clips sent right to your phone by saying "OK PRESTO" is nice and easy. Hooking it up took about 3 minutes. It plugs into the OBD port and is on 24/7 but monitors the battery and will shut down before killing the battery. The maker was an IPhone guy so the plugs are very Apple like. Magnetic. The part that holds the camera in place is called a 'beam' and they include four of them that are different heights. You pay extra for the LTE service but $100 a year is not bad. I can view up to the last two weeks of video which is nice because I forget to say "OK PRESTO" a lot.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

I will try to upload the UTR pics as well as app screenshots tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I bought for my SQ7 10 months a camera from aliexpress that perfectly fit mirror housing in front and looks like factory made. Mover over all wires are plug & play.
It's a big harder with rear camera to attach it but wiring is easy.
If you want to see my real recording of this device please refer to link on dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1baxxxa4j..._037A.MOV?dl=0
App for Iphone works great
For Q7/SQ7 you need AD-04 housing.
No I see they have even rear full HD cameras
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1920-...3b5074ea77abbb

Picture as it look after installation
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pictures of the installed Audi UTR. I need to figure out how to upload an.avi. Works really well, was unstalled by Popular Autosound shop in Brooklyn

UTR.

Last edited by dohturdima; 09-29-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind me asking - how much was cost to install? I'm also in NYC area and am interested in this solution as well...
Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cheweric
If you don't mind me asking - how much was cost to install? I'm also in NYC area and am interested in this solution as well...
The owner (Sam) charged me $300 for the install, which is a bargain - US based dealers don't have a clue that UTR even exists, let alone install it. https://www.yelp.com/biz/popular-security-brooklyn
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm new to the forum and this is my 1st post...
A month ago I got t-boned while driving my 2015 Q7 Prestige S Line and it was totaled. Now, I have a 2017 Q7 and planning to have installed (by someone other than my self) the BlackVue Dr750S 2ch w/the power magic pro. I have not been able to see any of the pics in the thread to see how the installation was done. Any recommendations/suggestions on what to keep in mind while installing the cables, specially on the back ? Thxs! https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/
Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
Thanks for replying to my query in the other thread. I have a quick question here before I commit to get it from eBay.....(a UK seller is giving both front and rear units for about $500!).

- How do you get the "LIVE" view of the camera(s); does it have to do something with the AudiConnect subscription-based paid services or is it some other algorithms working here to get it?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by shaikhmf
Hello
Thanks for replying to my query in the other thread. I have a quick question here before I commit to get it from eBay.....(a UK seller is giving both front and rear units for about $500!).

- How do you get the "LIVE" view of the camera(s); does it have to do something with the AudiConnect subscription-based paid services or is it some other algorithms working here to get it?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.
I replied in the UTR thead in detail - nothing to do with Audi Connect. You can look at the app screenshots to see what is included but it is mostly direct connect to the UTR's own wifi (dashcam needs to be ON to access it - you can't just do it when the car is turned off). You can only view the videos/pictures on your phone or if you pull the microSD card from the UTR and view it on your PC. Here is a good discussion about UTR and its features/limitations.

Cloud functionality for dashcams is relatively new, so it is expected that Audi is going to be behind on this. For $500, if you need cloud option you should consider getting the new
Blackvue DR900S-2CH Blackvue DR900S-2CH
- it has a cloud option (which is extra) as well as WiFi and 4K video. Sure, it is not pre-wired as the UTR but it should not be all that difficult to install vs the UTR. The UTR is essentially Blackvue 650 2CH, which is already two generations old. I don't know when / if Audi expects to roll out the V2 of Audi UTR, but it would be nice for it to have 4K video and AudiConnect integration option (that way, I would consider keeping my AudiConnect active rather than letting it lapse) or at least some sort of cloud option that can be used with it.

Last edited by dohturdima; 02-15-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get the Owl Camera. Www.owlcam.com
sucjs there’s no rear camera except the inside view but... easy install and cloud based 24-7. Monitors battery and you can access 2 weeks of video along with clips sent to your phone if it detects a bump or break in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashcam installation