Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashcam installation

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre View Post
Rick, how did you remove the 3rd row seatbelt trim?
You said it pops out with a little bit of pry pressure, I could not get mine off. Maybe I am not prying/pulling from right spot.
Could post a pic of the piece you're talking about so maybe it will jog my memory? It's been a while.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
Could post a pic of the piece you're talking about so maybe it will jog my memory? It's been a while.
It's this one
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...dceea772e2.jpg

I just picked up 2nd dashcam so I thought I'd try installing it in the rear. I wanted to do a clean install like yours, but this is the only part that gave me a lot of trouble, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it off and I didn't want to damage the liner around it.
I also tried to pull it straight out, with a little grip that there is, wasn't able to dislodge it at all.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't recall it being a problem. I think I just popped it off using a plastic pry tool. You can see in the photo where the plastic clips are around the edges. Perhaps try the different sides, and push inward toward the center of the trim piece before prying to disengage the clips from the surrounding panel.

Last edited by RickObe; 03-26-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give it another try this weekend.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Forgot to report back, huge thanks to RickObe, I was able to route the USB cable through the same way and get it to my rear dashcam. I used combination of ziptie and black electrical tape behind the trim.
I gave it enough slack near the hinge but I am still a little worried that it might be kinking it when the tail is closed. There is no way to tell that, except time..

As heads up, I went through the right instead of left, and I was able to just get the cable to dangle down through that side without any push back from insulation. This is your picture, I routed via Green line below, I am not sure if there is anything that would be a problem to route a wire within close proximity. Also I noticed the airbag logo on the pillar where we routed the wire from hinge to the seatbelt trim. I hope that is OK.

I did not hardwire it since I wanted to see how well it works first, so I just pulled the cable out through the side of the fuse block cover and connect it to the 12V charging port.
I could clearly see the back side of the port through the seat raise/lower buttons, but I didn't want to mess with it. If anyone knows a way to tap on the power from behind the panel, I'd love to hear it, this way I don't need to occupy the port and nothing sticking out, would be even cleaner install.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 04-09-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

huge thanks to RickObe, .....If anyone knows a way to tap on the power from behind the panel, I'd love to hear it, this way I don't need to occupy the port and nothing sticking out, would be even cleaner install.
You're quite welcome.

I tapped power off the back of the 12V socket. If I remember, I reached up from behind and loosened it enough to pull it out a bit, then used no-cut wire splicers to tap into the plus and minus leads.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I drew switched power for both of my dash cam and TPMS display from the driver kick fuse panel. For the TPMS panel which is mounted in the cigarette tray, I ran the wire up to the side fuse panel and then across/above the lower dash cover to reach the center dash where it is immediately tucked under the left edge. I use the cigarette lighter socket for phone charger.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by suanccd View Post
Many thanks for the guides provided above. I was able to install Blackvue DR750S-1CH, with power magic pro without too much trouble.
Below is the photo showing the BAT and ACC wire of power magic pro, tapped into the fuse panel under driver's footwell.
Putting my power magic pro in today. The two slots you used are empty on my car. Did you just add a fuse to the empty slot or were there fuses in the slots already?

Also, I have a probe that will light up when the fuse is hot. Funny thing. I can not get any light on any of the fuses in the red box with the yellow wire switched or unswitched I get a light to come for all the fuses in the yellow box when the acc is. However, as soon as I turn on the ignition, there is no power to these fuses.

I connected fuse tapes to the 8th slot from the top on both of these boxes anyway assuming the yellow box is switched and the red unswitched, but can not get the power magic box to light up.

I need some help. Anyone have any guidance?

Last edited by dbull; 04-20-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add information
Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is how my guy installed my dashcam and the Magic Pro.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by htd4555 View Post
I drew switched power for both of my dash cam and TPMS display from the driver kick fuse panel. For the TPMS panel which is mounted in the cigarette tray, I ran the wire up to the side fuse panel and then across/above the lower dash cover to reach the center dash where it is immediately tucked under the left edge. I use the cigarette lighter socket for phone charger.
Originally Posted by 3Kulits View Post
This is how my guy installed my dashcam and the Magic Pro.

Thanks. That looks like the left rear cargo area. I see only one fuse tap. do you know where the other tap is? I am trying to use the driver side footwell. Have all my wiring setup for that. I could reroute if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: