Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Rear camera as seen in the rear view mirror.
Hmmm, looks like it would interfere with the built-in pull up sun shade. Do you have the sunshade and what did you do about that?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Thanks! Do you have a recommended card at a reasonable price?
Some of my "3 meter" hardwire kits are only 2.8 meters. I would only buy 4 meter ones, or be prepared to splice into them and make them longer.

Transcend 64 GB high-endurance card is considered the best, but $60. People say it uses MLC cells, which are the two-bits per cell rather than the cheaper and less reliable three bits per cell. That is why it costs more.

SanDisk 64 High Endurance is $30, and may be as good. Or maybe not, I am not sure. They don't claim it is MLC, but they do say it is designed for video. That is what I would get.

I bought $22 Samsung 64 GB cards, but they are not recommended and may last less than a year. If they do, I will make a warranty claim, but I probably should have bought the SanDisk High Endurance for not much more.

Regardless of the card, I would suggest not getting less than 64 GB because it is not just about hours of storage. The larger the card, the less often each cell is written to, and so the longer the card will last in service. So a 64 GB card should last twice as many months or years as a 32 GB card, and it doesn't cost twice as much, so better value. The exception to this is if you are not going to have it run when parked. If you only have it run when the car is on, then you will probably never wear the card out.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some of my "3 meter" hardwire kits are only 2.8 meters. I would only buy 4 meter ones, or be prepared to splice into them and make them longer.
Do you have links for the right angle hardware kits and/or the low voltage cutoff protectors? Preferably on Amazon? My searching has not come up with anything that looks good.

The low voltage cutoff you linked to on eBay is also available on Amazon. But it looks like it's got a variable cutoff setting. Not sure how I would get that set properly without having a variable voltage source to test it with.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Do you have links for the right angle hardware kits and/or the low voltage cutoff protectors? Preferably on Amazon? My searching has not come up with anything that looks good.

The low voltage cutoff you linked to on eBay is also available on Amazon. But it looks like it's got a variable cutoff setting. Not sure how I would get that set properly without having a variable voltage source to test it with.
3x the cost on Amazon, and I wanted eight of them. So $25 vs $80. But yeah, takes a while from Hong Kong. You don't need it to get started. I am just adding mine later when they arrive.

Here is the problem. I bought two 3-meter hardwire kids on eBay from the same vendor in NJ. They were both 2.85 meters long. One was long enough and one wasn't. The problem was that one had the voltage conversion box much closer to the plug so it was on the wire in the wrong spot. So I am not sure how to give a link to the better one.

This one says 4-meters and it should be good: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dash-Camera-Vehicle-Hard-Wire-Kit-Mini-USB-Compatible-for-Dash-Cam-Camcorder-New/302328167926?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=601 164407363&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The way you set the cutoff is to turn on headlights on a car, and use a multimeter to check the battery. When the battery is 12.2 volts, then put the device on it, and turn the potentiometer until the relay clicks. Then it is set. Put hot glue on it if you want.

BTW, the A119 camera comes with a long USB cable and a 12v lighter adaptor. You could skip the hardwire kit and use that, and solder wires onto the plug to connect to the blue low-voltage cutoff. The downside of that method is that it is not a right-angle plug, so it doesn't look at good in use.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-23-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@rsilvers129...

Big thanks again for all the info and taking the time to go take photos!!! Also, nice idea on how to set the low voltage limit.

I ordered all my stuff yesterday. Just went ahead and got it all from Amazon so it will arrive tomorrow. Ordered:

2x SpyTec A119
2x SanDisk High Endurance 64GB
2x Battery Protector (cost me $10 extra getting from Amazon)
2x Hardwire Kit (cost me $7 extra getting from Amazon). This is the hardwire kit I ordered:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total was under $300 with 2-day prime shipping, including some cable clips. Not bad.

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You did the right thing. I am still waiting for some parts from Hong Kong.

If you want to go nuts you could get two more for the rear side windows. You could skip the GPS on those and get the $75 version. And tap into same voltage cutoffs and use the included cable modified instead of hardware kits. $210 total extra cost.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Off topic: That's a beauty. Is that black on black with gray inlay w/black cloth headliner? Seriously, looks amazing.
Is that orca black or the other one? Got more pics you can share in the pics thread? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Orca black with grey inlays and black headliner.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, I didn't see the signature on the picture post, sorry should have looked above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashcam installation