Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ameshrimp
I just got my DR900S-2CH as well. Did you route the rear cam cable through roof trim or floor trim? Could you draw a simple diagram showing how you route the rear cam cable?
Sorry for the late reply. I ran the wire and tucked it under the roof liner from the A pillar to the third row on the passenger side. Then I tucked it behind where the trim meets the side window, and fished it through to be able to run it inside the factory rubber cable guide that goes from the body of the vehicle into the rear hatch. From there, I ran it inside the hatch like others here have shown. I don't have a handy diagram, but hope this might help.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Kulits
This is how my guy installed my dashcam and the Magic Pro.

OK, I assume that this was the 2 camera Blackview and that is the rear fuse area so I am guessing they ran the power back to the front camera along with the USB wire that goes front to rear? I will have mine installed professionally but the shop does not sell Blackview (I will buy it and they will install) so they might benefit from guidance.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astropup
OK, I assume that this was the 2 camera Blackview and that is the rear fuse area so I am guessing they ran the power back to the front camera along with the USB wire that goes front to rear? I will have mine installed professionally but the shop does not sell Blackview (I will buy it and they will install) so they might benefit from guidance.

Thanks!
The Front camera provides the power to the rear camera. One cable from the front to rear camera. The power from the fuse goes to the front camera.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbull
The Front camera provides the power to the rear camera. One cable from the front to rear camera. The power from the fuse goes to the front camera.
OK, just seemed a bit odd to run power to the front camera from the rear fuses since both the battery and the main fuses are in the front.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, just seemed a bit odd to run power to the front camera from the rear fuses since both the battery and the main fuses are in the front.
Yeah. I used the fuse buss under the foot pad on the drivers side.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went last week Audi Langley and they have "audi universal traffic recorder" in store now. Price is 1700 CAD including installation.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by achayan
I went last week Audi Langley and they have "audi universal traffic recorder" in store now. Price is 1700 CAD including installation.
This is way too much - I paid $450 USD, buying it on Ebay from a UK dealership over a year ago. Paid about $200 to install. Besides Audi integration, I don't see any advantages over a better specced Blackvue 900 2ch.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dohturdima
This is way too much - I paid $450 USD, buying it on Ebay from a UK dealership over a year ago. Paid about $200 to install. Besides Audi integration, I don't see any advantages over a better specced Blackvue 900 2ch.
Yes, the Blackvue DR900S looks good, it is on my shortlist. The only negative in the reviews has been the boot up time. Have you found that to be an issue?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes, the Blackvue DR900S looks good, it is on my shortlist. The only negative in the reviews has been the boot up time. Have you found that to be an issue?
I actually have the Audi UTR - which boots up pretty quickly, but is based on the older Blackvue 650 (don't recall the exact model #), Others here have DR900S and can chime in.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
I decided it was better to pay a trained professional who has experience running wires inside of panels and tight cable routing spaces do the work. Cost me about $125 total.
"Trained Professional"?! In a car accessory shop?! Have you seen the idiots they hire at some of those places!

I have been hugely unimpressed after talking to most of the installers in the area. They seem to do very few dash cams and do not sell the better brands. There are better installers in Portland but that is a 3 hour drive each way plus a whole day wait. I may resort to DIY.

Last edited by Astropup; 06-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Dashcam installation