Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why why in the world would you have the cable routed like that?!? It looks awful!

Originally Posted by rsilvers129

Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Why why in the world would you have the cable routed like that?!? It looks awful!
I don't want to speak for him, but when I went out to look at mine, there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice. The cable has to reach from the rear hatch frame to the rear hatch itself with enough slack that it will reach when the hatch is open. I will probably try to route mine closer to one of the hinges, but since the hinge itself disappears into the body moldings as the hatch closes, there is still going to have to be some loose cable.

If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
I don't want to speak for him, but when I went out to look at mine, there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice. The cable has to reach from the rear hatch frame to the rear hatch itself with enough slack that it will reach when the hatch is open. I will probably try to route mine closer to one of the hinges, but since the hinge itself disappears into the body moldings as the hatch closes, there is still going to have to be some loose cable.

If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it.
Everything runs internally...

Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks better. I could try to change to that. How do you get that panel off?

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-24-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Zero drilling was required to have that clean of a install.

Last edited by PeteDin206; 10-24-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also have full use of the rear sunshade which means “full value” of the cars features. Still kinda confused by the two separate primary dash cams as well. The whole point of having a proper two (or four) camera system is synced data between all the cameras. When I pull data from my blackvue setup I can have linked front/rear data that shows GPS, speed and everything with all the same data tied to it.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
That looks better. I could try to change to that. How do you get that panel off?
I decided it was better to pay a trained professional who has experience running wires inside of panels and tight cable routing spaces do the work. Cost me about $125 total. On a $75k Car I’m not going to risk a poor cable placement interfering with airbags or janky wiring sort out my electrical. This is the same reason I paid more than a lot of people would consider for wrapping my car with PPF. The shops I worked with are meticulous and even provide a free sealant applied quarterly to keep it looking as good as new, just like a quality install shop will run the cables the right way.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
I decided it was better to pay a trained professional who has experience running wires inside of panels and tight cable routing spaces do the work. Cost me about $125 total. On a $75k Car I’m not going to risk a poor cable placement interfering with airbags or janky wiring sort out my electrical. This is the same reason I paid more than a lot of people would consider for wrapping my car with PPF. The shops I worked with are meticulous and even provide a free sealant applied quarterly to keep it looking as good as new, just like a quality install shop will run the cables the right way.
How does the cable get from the hatch (presumably in the area of the hinge) to the body of the car (i.e., the hatch frame). Did they attach it to the large curved hinge piece so it disappears inside the hatch frame?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$125 is super low price.

As for synched data, the clocks on these cameras is set by the GPS, which also shows the time on the image.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
How does the cable get from the hatch (presumably in the area of the hinge) to the body of the car (i.e., the hatch frame). Did they attach it to the large curved hinge piece so it disappears inside the hatch frame?
From what I can see it runs inside that with the other electrical. I will confirm tomorrow when there is a bit more light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashcam installation