Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I don't really know. I have the cards out of the cameras now to review. I have the motion detection on, so it may be hard to tell. But I'm pretty sure the cameras were still on this morning after sitting in the garage all night. I really don't think they draw very much energy. I also have a remote temp sensor and mobile hotspot running on unswitched power full time. They don't draw that much either.
So do you leave it in motion detection all the time? I read somewhere that that would cause it to turn off during normal driving...
I was just planning to run mine with constant recording and find a voltage that shuts it off after after a few hours... It usually stays parked in my garage and when it's not, I'm never parked anywhere more than 3 or 4 hours...
Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by VanDamme
So do you leave it in motion detection all the time? I read somewhere that that would cause it to turn off during normal driving...
I was just planning to run mine with constant recording and find a voltage that shuts it off after after a few hours... It usually stays parked in my garage and when it's not, I'm never parked anywhere more than 3 or 4 hours...
So far, I've left motion detection on. I have about 36 hours of video that I've yet to review to see if it cuts out during driving.

You may be thinking of this statement in the camera manual:
  • Do not turn on motion detection unless your vehicle is parked. If motion detection is enabled while driving, the camera may not continuously record.
I read that to mean not to change it from off to on while in motion. But I can see how you can read it to mean not to have it on while driving. I would rather be able to leave it on. But I'll never remember to turn it on for parking, so if it causes loss of video while driving with it enabled, I'll have to just turn it off permanently.

I did look at my video long enough to know that it stayed on all night (in motion detect mode) without tripping the low voltage. And that's with my remote temp sensor/hotspot also drawing power.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

So far, I've left motion detection on. I have about 36 hours of video that I've yet to review to see if it cuts out during driving.

You may be thinking of this statement in the camera manual:
I read that to mean not to change it from off to on while in motion. But I can see how you can read it to mean not to have it on while driving. I would rather be able to leave it on. But I'll never remember to turn it on for parking, so if it causes loss of video while driving with it enabled, I'll have to just turn it off permanently.

I did look at my video long enough to know that it stayed on all night (in motion detect mode) without tripping the low voltage. And that's with my remote temp sensor/hotspot also drawing power.
Reading over on dashcamtalk.com, there are numerous posts about the A119 and the parking mode. It is reccomended to turn it off while driving.

Quote from VIOFO
When this feature is activated, recording will begin if there is movement in front of the camera.
Once the camera does not detect movement for 60 seconds, recording will be stopped and the device will switch to detect mode.
I guess technically if you are driving, it should detect motion...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Reading over on dashcamtalk.com, there are numerous posts about the A119 and the parking mode. It is reccomended to turn it off while driving.
Interesting. I just jumped through my 36 hours of video and didn't notice any gaps with motion detection on. But I do see there are some files that are not the full 5 min that I set for the file break. So maybe I am losing some video. I guess I'll turn motion detect back off and leave it off except for high risk parking situations. (And leave myself a note to remember to turn it back off in those cases.)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like a hassle that you have to turn it on and off depending on when you park, etc. Motion detection should detect motion as long as vehicle is moving but I guess it depends on the camera. How does this work on more expensive cameras, like blackvue? Does anyone know?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
It sounds like a hassle that you have to turn it on and off depending on when you park, etc. Motion detection should detect motion as long as vehicle is moving but I guess it depends on the camera. How does this work on more expensive cameras, like blackvue? Does anyone know?
From what I read on the blackvue, it uses 3 wires, a switched power, a non-switched power, and a ground. It goes into parking mode when the switched is turned off...
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just finished my rear camera... Thanks for the great write-up RickObe... Still waiting on my Brake Controller before I do the front one... The hardest part for me was getting the stupid clips off that hold the rear center boot trim on the car... The trim itself was really easy, but 2 of the clips remained attached to the car... Took me an hour to get them off...

I really love the digital voltage cutoff... You can set a low and high with duration, so that it will cut off when it reaches the low and stays for the duration and back on when it reaches the high. IT also shows the current voltage...
I used Painters tape to mount it to my Bose amp near the rear fuse block...
Attached Thumbnails Dashcam installation-imag0173.jpg   Dashcam installation-imag0174.jpg   Dashcam installation-imag0175.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just finished my rear camera... Thanks for the great write-up RickObe
Did you route the cable the same way I did? Did you have to remove any more or less parts than I did? Did you have trouble fishing from the fuse block up to the switch module hole?

The hardest part for me was getting the stupid clips off that hold the rear center boot trim on the car... The trim itself was really easy, but 2 of the clips remained attached to the car... Took me an hour to get them off...
I had that happen too. I didn't have a clip removal tool at the time, so I used some regular pliers to squeeze it tight, then slipped some needle nose pliers under it to pop it out. I now have a clip removal tool on order for "next time".

I really love the digital voltage cutoff... You can set a low and high with duration, so that it will cut off when it reaches the low and stays for the duration and back on when it reaches the high. IT also shows the current voltage...
I used Painters tape to mount it to my Bose amp near the rear fuse block...
Questions about the cutoff module: Does it come with clear instructions? How loud is the buzzer and when does it go off? Is painter's tape really going to hold it on there?

The only downside I see of that module vs the one I got is that it is roughly 4 times the footprint.

Last edited by RickObe; 11-08-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you route the cable the same way I did? Did you have to remove any more or less parts than I did? Did you have trouble fishing from the fuse block up to the switch module hole?
Ran it exactly as you did removing the same parts... I did not have a problem going from the fuse block to the switch hole. I guess I didn't have the same amount of insulation that you did. I dropped my fish rod straight back in the hole against the metal wall then straight down. Then used a hanger hook to pull it straight through to where my amp is. Had to be careful not to let it slide toward the left(felt like it kept catching on something that way).

Questions about the cutoff module: Does it come with clear instructions? How loud is the buzzer and when does it go off? Is painter's tape really going to hold it on there?
The only downside I see of that module vs the one I got is that it is roughly 4 times the footprint.
There were no instructions. I just played with it to figure out settings. 4 buttons, High, Low, +, -
Once powered it shows current voltage.
Pressing High or Low toggles through 3 modes. Once to set Voltage, Twice to set duration, Third time returns to current voltage.
Use the +, - to change the voltages and durations.

Not sure about the buzzer. Never went off, but it never reached the low voltage. I will play around with it to see what that does.
The painters tape was just a temp solution. Wasn't sure if i needed access when mounted so I haven't settled on a permanent home for it yet. It is fairly light so I think it will hold. I think it's only about twice the size of yours though.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

think it's only about twice the size of yours though.
Right... twice as long and twice as wide, so 4x area.

Quick Reply: Dashcam installation