Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Data Limits - Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Data Limits - Audi Connect

So I got the message below via email yesterday

I checked my data usage and it was 1.6GB - do I only have 2GB for an entire 18 months subscription?????

I think part of my usage is that I auto download and upload a bunch of stuff when connected to the in car WiFi. Is there any feature that my phone needs to be connected to in car wifi vs. bluetooth or wired?

************************************************** ****************************************

We hope that you've been enjoying your Audi connect PLUS services brought to you by AT&T. As a friendly reminder, you have now used 80% of your total data plan. To avoid an interruption in your service on October 26, 2019, visit https://myaudiconnect.com and select a data plan that is right for you.

Once your data plan expires, you will lose access to your in-vehicle Wi-Fi. If you are an Audi connect PRIME subscriber your services such as Google Earth™ 3D satellite imagery, Google Voice™ Local Search and your other Audi connect services will continue until your PRIME subscription expires. **
Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would recommend that you don't connect your phone to the Audi-WiFi and connect it via bluetooth instead.

In my case, when my phone is connected to the WiFi, I'm having issues making and answering calls while being in the car and having the phone connected by bluetooth at the same time (which you obviously have to in order to control it hands free). I can only hear the other party chopped up.

For me, the 2 GB was insufficient (BTW, if you pay for 18 months, you save on the subscription-fee BUT you are far worse off on data because with the 6-month plan, you get 2 GB every 6 months - so 6 GB instead of 2 GB compared to the 18 months subscription).

I decided to go all in and selected the optional unlimited plan because my connected Alexa would suck up 2 GB in no time.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
I would recommend that you don't connect your phone to the Audi-WiFi and connect it via bluetooth instead.

In my case, when my phone is connected to the WiFi, I'm having issues making and answering calls while being in the car and having the phone connected by bluetooth at the same time (which you obviously have to in order to control it hands free). I can only hear the other party chopped up.

For me, the 2 GB was insufficient (BTW, if you pay for 18 months, you save on the subscription-fee BUT you are far worse off on data because with the 6-month plan, you get 2 GB every 6 months - so 6 GB instead of 2 GB compared to the 18 months subscription).

I decided to go all in and selected the optional unlimited plan because my connected Alexa would suck up 2 GB in no time.
Do you put Alexa in the car?
Just curious how you use it for? For music? I can't think of other good use.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah - I completely missed it was only 2GB in total for 18 months. Going to disconnect from WIFI - any downside in doing that?
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hitchens97
Yeah - I completely missed it was only 2GB in total for 18 months. Going to disconnect from WIFI - any downside in doing that?
I think there are a few features that require a WiFi connection to the phone - like playing amazon music through the MMI. Of course, bluetooth works for that, too.

I simply disconnected it from WiFi due to the issues with making calls. I really have to understand what the other party is saying..LOL
Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jet963
Do you put Alexa in the car?
Just curious how you use it for? For music? I can't think of other good use.
Yeah, music certainly is the main purpose. With music unlimited, you basically have all the songs you can think of available by voice-command. The sound quality is just excellent. I also listen to SiriusXM over Alexa. The quality is far better than through the actual satellite radio due to a higher data-rate. Just recently, I set up a new feature that lets me stream music from my home-server into my car through Alexa. Pretty neat.

And of course, there are some other gadgets you can use. I can have my garage door open and close through a voice-command (or just check the status of the door from anywhere), I can turn on/off my (landscape) lights or even turn on my A/C and set a specific temperature. And of course, you can take advantage of all other features you have available on a standard Alexa. Heck, I can even launch my sprinkler system from my vehicle. LOL

You can also make phone-calls via Alexa in case you forgot your cell. To top it off, you have all the info you can think off with you (i.e. Alexa, who was the 32nd president etc.).

The Q7 is just THE perfect vehicle to integrate an Alexa dot. It fits neatly into the center console where you have the required plugs for power (USB) and sound (3.5mm audio). And then, you have the hotspot which takes care of the data. The majority of vehicles lack at least one of these requirements but on the Q7, it can be seamlessly integrated and you don't even see a single wire. I always have my console closed and even have a cell-charger bank lying on top off the unit and it still gets every single voice-command. It just works!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, music certainly is the main purpose. With music unlimited, you basically have all the songs you can think of available by voice-command. The sound quality is just excellent. I also listen to SiriusXM over Alexa. The quality is far better than through the actual satellite radio due to a higher data-rate. Just recently, I set up a new feature that lets me stream music from my home-server into my car through Alexa. Pretty neat.

And of course, there are some other gadgets you can use. I can have my garage door open and close through a voice-command (or just check the status of the door from anywhere), I can turn on/off my (landscape) lights or even turn on my A/C and set a specific temperature. And of course, you can take advantage of all other features you have available on a standard Alexa. Heck, I can even launch my sprinkler system from my vehicle. LOL

You can also make phone-calls via Alexa in case you forgot your cell. To top it off, you have all the info you can think off with you (i.e. Alexa, who was the 32nd president etc.).

The Q7 is just THE perfect vehicle to integrate an Alexa dot. It fits neatly into the center console where you have the required plugs for power (USB) and sound (3.5mm audio). And then, you have the hotspot which takes care of the data. The majority of vehicles lack at least one of these requirements but on the Q7, it can be seamlessly integrated and you don't even see a single wire. I always have my console closed and even have a cell-charger bank lying on top off the unit and it still gets every single voice-command. It just works!
Thanks for your feedback. It sounds amazing! I must try it
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I did confirm with AudiChat today that the 6GB Plus you get with a Prime subscription is for the duration of the plan. So it's like AudiFanFL said above.