Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer misled me about run-flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dealer misled me about run-flat tires

First off, let me start by saying that I don't like run-flat tires (expensive, stiffer ride, poor tread life, and difficult to find a compatible replacement in the middle of nowhere). If there were an option for regular tires and a full-size regular spare tire, I would go with that. Given that this is not an option and that the Q7 comes with no spare tire at all (only a "tire mobility kit"), I chose to have my 2018 Q7 come with run-flat tires. I was told repeatedly by my salesman and by the general sales manager, both verbally and in emails, that I would be getting run-flat tires ( I was concerned because my paperwork didn't specify run-flats). At delivery, my salesman again indicated that I had run-flat tires, despite lack of the word"run-flat" on my window sticker. A few days later, I researched my Continental tires online, learning that their run-flat tires have an "SSR" label on their sidewall (for Pirelli run-flats, the symbol is "AOE"). To my dismay, my tires did NOT have the run-flat indicator on their sidewalls. The sales staff at the dealership had never bothered to learn how to recognize run-flat tires from other tires, and their assurances that I was getting run-flat tires were based on casual conversations with techs and others at their dealership. To their credit, they did apologize and "made it right." If you have been told that you have run-flat tires by your dealership, I recommend that you check for yourself rather than taking their word for it.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, you have not specified where you are in the world or exactly which trim and wheel spec you ordered but I will assume you are in the US and have the 21” wheel upgrade? If so, here is where I believe the confusion sometimes falls with sales reps.

The window sticker on a prestige will show under the Prestige option heading: 285/45/20 runflats. It does not matter you have the upgraded 21” wheeel package as that is listed later in down separately in the options and essentially voids out the runflat that would otherwise be standard with a Prestige build. So while one would think most sales reps should know this, it can be misleading to them as well. You really have two different tires listed on your window sticker which caused a lot of confusion early on on the forum back when the Q7 was just coming out. I would assume the same info shows on their computer when placing an order. So while it’s not an excuse for you receiving misinformation, just possibility how it could happen.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont know about now, but when I ordered, the 21" option clearly stated Summer tires (non-RFT) on the web. I am sure on the build sheet they dont specify RFT either
Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Hi, you have not specified where you are in the world or exactly which trim and wheel spec you ordered but I will assume you are in the US and have the 21” wheel upgrade? If so, here is where I believe the confusion sometimes falls with sales reps.

The window sticker on a prestige will show under the Prestige option heading: 285/45/20 runflats. It does not matter you have the upgraded 21” wheeel package as that is listed later in down separately in the options and essentially voids out the runflat that would otherwise be standard with a Prestige build. So while one would think most sales reps should know this, it can be misleading to them as well. You really have two different tires listed on your window sticker which caused a lot of confusion early on on the forum back when the Q7 was just coming out. I would assume the same info shows on their computer when placing an order. So while it’s not an excuse for you receiving misinformation, just possibility how it could happen.
I am in the US and just have the 19 inch 5-V-spoke wheels.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pathologymeister
I am in the US and just have the 19 inch 5-V-spoke wheels.
ahhh...I see. Thats another story then and my explanation would not apply. I have not seen a sticker w the 19" wheels, but in the online configurator it says run flats for 19" V spoke in all the trim builds that they are avail with. I do recall there may have been a discussion back in early 2017 on here about being able to special order without run flats. Wonder if your dealer accidentally hit that button. Hmmm. Well, glad to hear at least they worked it out for you.