Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer wants $600 to perform ACC Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer wants $600 to perform ACC Alignment?

Had my dealer price out new OEM tires for me... price was about the same as Tire Rack and other tire places...

But they also quoted an ACC (automatic cruise control) alignment that they said should be performed at the same time as the new tires... for $600.

Is this ACC alignment necessary?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

How are your tires wearing? How many miles since you last replaced the tires?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this done recently. I got new tires and the dealer recommended alignment (of course). Anyways, SA told me that if they mess with the rear alignment they have to realign the ACC cameras, too. Charged me $499 iirc.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
How are your tires wearing? How many miles since you last replaced the tires?
As my original post says, my tires need to be replaced shortly. They are original equipment, and I'm at 43,000 miles. Between 2/32 and 5/32 on all tires.

What is an ACC Alignment - is that a normal tire alignment? What does the Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) have to do with tire alignment?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I never understood that B.S. If you are bringing the alignment back into spec, why should the cameras need to be realigned?!? Not like they were brought out of alignment with the wheels... I recently had a 4-wheel alignment at an independent tire shop. My wheel alignment was out-of-spec prior (with symptoms), and was brought back into spec. Nothing done to my cameras, and the lane assist, etc, works perfectly just as it did before the alignment. Dealer BS to make $$$$.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I do believe the Driver Assistance realignment is necessary. Please see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wz...ature=youtu.be

As I understand it, changing tires, tire pressure, etc. alters camera and other calibration which is very precise.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rjabend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wz...ature=youtu.be

As I understand it, changing tires, tire pressure, etc. alters camera and other calibration which is very precise.
I mean, interesting video, but it doesnt say anything about changing tires requires ACC calibration.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend

So why does my Honda, which also has ACC, lane keeping, auto braking, etc, not require this? I would ask them to tell me, very specifically, which features supposedly would not work and to what degree.

Also, by that argument, you would have to change the camera alignment every time you change tire pressure - and in the winter this can vary hugely just from overnight storage to freeway driving in the sun. It really does smell a bit like BS. The only way to know is to get as much technical detail (preferably from a well-informed but unbiased source) as possible and not just "this is recommended". Sadly, the techs probably only know what they are told to do, not exactly why. Way of the world these days.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys its BS. Audi loves charging extra money for this junk because its pure profit. Just say no. My q7 is at the dealer for a few items and one sounds like a front driver side bearing. They told me they think its the tires and wants to balance and rotate all four tires and do a four wheel alignment in order to diagnose. I said sure if there is no charge. Of course they wanted to charge me. I told them to swap the front driver to the rear and see what happens to the noise and lets take it from there. Im not paying money to diagnose a vehicle under warranty. $600 to align cameras lol. What insanity.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my q7 alignment done at the dealership for $250 it's just a normal alignment. I have driver assist package and the toe was off it's been 2 months and it's been fine.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $600 to perform ACC Alignment?