Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Demonstration of Pre Sense, Pre Sense Plus and Pedestrian Avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Demonstration of Pre Sense, Pre Sense Plus and Pedestrian Avoidance

I would respectfully ask owners of the 2017 Q 7 if they were provided an on road or on track demonstration of the Pre Sense and Pre Sense feature. I know many of us have had inaccurate information as to just what it does and should do. There are several "tutorials" on it and they differ from car to car and year to year and county to country.

I tried to see if it does what it suppose to do and it just isn't safe to test it in real world driving. Any warnings have yet to come up even though I came up to a stopped car while driving under 20MPH and nothing came up and the car wasn't going to stop.

I called Audi/USA to request a demonstration in my car and offered to drive up to 100 miles to get to a test track. They kicked it to the dealer level and advised to request a "Second Delivery".

Before I do that I am asking all of you if you have had a front collision avoidance demonstration or an episode while driving where you can say it works, and it is what Audi says it is.

I imagine that they can set up something in an open but off road area with "ballon" cars and pedestrians to demonstrate.

How about any dealers or sales people. How did they demonstrate it to you?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I think a few member here had the pre sense kicked in and stopped their vheicle, I t think one was like a balloon or plastic bag in the road and the other was a left turn. That would be cool if we can get a demo of our actual cars in a controlled environment so we are fully aware of the system capabilities and limitations. I think I will contact ACNA as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had pre-sense kick in coming up to car slow to make a turn. I changed the setting from the default to late as it wasn't need it needed in those cases.

If one wanted to test it I suppose piling some empty boxes on top of each other and driving towards them would do the trick.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I've had pre-sense kick in coming up to car slow to make a turn.
I have had this situation a couple times (the car in front of me was slowing down but I was not), so it looks like the system works.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

similar experience ... slow-turning car in front ... driving to aggressively and the system warned me the car in front is too close .. It definitely works! Most times it's a little annoying. The annoyances will pay off if it actually saves us from a crash.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've had it give the audible/ visual warning, but given I'm driving new cars, I don't let it go any further. When I do hit the brakes, they come on full force so the system did pre charge them.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had it come up twice. Once I was backing out of my driveway and car came to abrupt stop. It stopped so sharply I thought I hit something, but it was a biker that came up close. The second time a person crossed the street without looking and car slowed right down from about 35mph. I have mine set for early warning. A couple of false positives especially when slowing down in traffic, but I would prefer it this way.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a resort where there a lot of golf carts (and a lot of drinking for some) and walked up to my Q, no cars or carts coming either direction. As I slowly backed out, I abruptly came to a stop. A golf cart came out of nowhere, obviously not looking where she was going or looking for moving vehicles with backup lights on. I was glad it automatically stopped and wasn't happy about the poor driving skills of the woman.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine works randomly - sometimes its on point and sometimes I would test it to last second and it doesn't do anything. I'm on PP and only have the presense feature. Nevertheless when it comes to backing up it break unnecessary often and early when it senses any obstacles.
Didn't get much from the dealer, just an explanation. Would love a closed course test drive.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
I think a few member here had the pre sense kicked in and stopped their vheicle, I t think one was like a balloon or plastic bag in the road and the other was a left turn. That would be cool if we can get a demo of our actual cars in a controlled environment so we are fully aware of the system capabilities and limitations. I think I will contact ACNA as well.
Have you had any luck with ACNA? I requested a second delivery but was asked to wait until next week as the salesperson was wrapping up his end of month reports.

I'll let you all know how it goes and exactly what the "demonstration" is.