Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Discontinuing Google Earth Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discontinuing Google Earth Service

I learned something today that you maybe already know but thought I should share.

I recently purchased a 2017 Q7 at the beginning of September and was able to get the dealer to provide a new code to make me the key user. I then subscribed to Audi Prime service since I wanted the Google Earth mapping capability. Well, everything worked related to the Prime service except for Google Earth, so I've been hounding the dealer to help get this resolved.

They just informed me that a draft service bulletin was issued today (and yet to be published) stating that Audi is discontinuing the Google Earth service and planning to provide their own satellite mapping service. Unfortunately not all existing cars have the hardware to support the new service, but 2019s and newer do, There is an MMI software update that can be applied to some cars which they tell me will work on my 2017 so I've schedule a service appointment for next Tuesday to install the update.

I'll report back after the upgrade to provide feedback.
The following users liked this post:
gsans (11-21-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I hope what u are referring to (Google Earth) isn't the same thing that comes with Prime, which is to provide Satellite view instead of the barebones view. My Prime lapsed earlier this month and I'll be re-subscribing when it is more useful (COVID is killing our vacation plans).
Old 09-22-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently purchased a 2017 Q7 as well and noticed some fine print on the Connect signup page that indicated this. I was pretty sad considering the 'party trick' was something I was looking forward to.

Audi Connect Disclaimers -- point #7
Old 09-22-2020, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pberry
I learned something today that you maybe already know but thought I should share.

I recently purchased a 2017 Q7 at the beginning of September and was able to get the dealer to provide a new code to make me the key user. I then subscribed to Audi Prime service since I wanted the Google Earth mapping capability. Well, everything worked related to the Prime service except for Google Earth, so I've been hounding the dealer to help get this resolved.

They just informed me that a draft service bulletin was issued today (and yet to be published) stating that Audi is discontinuing the Google Earth service and planning to provide their own satellite mapping service. Unfortunately not all existing cars have the hardware to support the new service, but 2019s and newer do, There is an MMI software update that can be applied to some cars which they tell me will work on my 2017 so I've schedule a service appointment for next Tuesday to install the update.

If that don't work there is coding that enable google maps. There is coding that enable you to use a traffic subscription btoo
Old 09-22-2020, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
If that don't work there is coding that enable google maps. There is coding that enable you to use a traffic subscription btoo
Wasn't that only for pre-Connect vehicles though? I thought I read a while back that our MY17s used their Google service through connect and not the cell service. Please correct me if I’m wrong and any pointers to said coding would be great! :-D
The following users liked this post:
auntieq (12-01-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interested to see what happens to MY19 vehicles, as it has gone back and forth as to whether they'll be able to access the new service. Rolled the dice in buying a CPO 2019 because I didn't want to get sunseted with a 2018.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pberry

When you get the service done can you post the work order? Would like to know the information so I can see if this is available for my vehicle. Also, with Audi providing their own satellite mapping service, does it require a subscription or are they replacing the google maps in our cars to that of Audi's?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You might want to review this disclaimer on the Audi USA site, as noted above:

⁷ Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-19 vehicles.

It's been posted on there for a couple of years at least - it's in the - very - fine print. There are a number of threads on this, on various forums. The GE overlay will be discontinued for MY18 and earlier Audis in three months. According to Audi, the hardware in these models will not support it, and Audi will not retrofit.

Last edited by Doc H; 09-23-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
You might want to review this disclaimer on the Audi USA site, as noted above:

⁷ Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-19 vehicles.

It's been posted on there for a couple of years at least - it's in the - very - fine print. There are a number of threads on this, on various forums. The GE overlay will be discontinued for MY18 and earlier Audis in three months. According to Audi, the hardware in these models will not support it, and Audi will not retrofit.
The issue is, the MY19 vehicles are in limbo as they don't clearly include, or exclude them from the new system. Will be interesting to see which of them are able to migrate, and which cannot.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Pedals6Speeds
The issue is, the MY19 vehicles are in limbo as they don't clearly include, or exclude them from the new system. Will be interesting to see which of them are able to migrate, and which cannot.
It will indeed, particularly in light of the disclaimer, above, which states in part:

Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-19 vehicles.

Indicating that perhaps even Connect services may not be available after 2021 for MY17-19 vehicles. Of course, VAG would never do that. You say. I'm driving a couple of 2020 BMW X5s now, partly as a result of the above debacle (not exclusively). Because I do actually have faith that VAG/Audi will keep their word, and I take them at face value. See italics, above.

Quick Reply: Discontinuing Google Earth Service