Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change

Hi everyone,

My Q7 is nearing its 1000 miles break in period and I will do its first oil change. Has anyone DIY oil change on this car yet? When I open up the hood, there is a large cover that I can pop up in the front, but the back portion ( toward the windshield) I cannot. It also seems that there are two air intakes that are attached to the cover as well. I'm hesitant to lift the cover fully because I'm not sure if the air take is attached to an electronic control system or the turbo and risk damaging the engine. Any advice or suggestion beside taking it to an Audi dealership?
Also, on the driver side, right under the oil cap area, there is a black dip stick, is that the oil dipstick or is it something else? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have my car yet, but I've replaced the oil on two 3.0Ts in the past. The "dipstick" is electronic, so I suspect what you are referring to the transmission dipstick. Most engine covers are only for aesthetics, so there shouldn't be any issue with popping it off to access the oil filter. I can't see that Audi would make this step difficult. Most importantly, the engine is supercharged, not a turbo.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I don't have my car yet, but I've replaced the oil on two 3.0Ts in the past. The "dipstick" is electronic, so I suspect what you are referring to the transmission dipstick. Most engine covers are only for aesthetics, so there shouldn't be any issue with popping it off to access the oil filter. I can't see that Audi would make this step difficult. Most importantly, the engine is supercharged, not a turbo.
The dipstick in my '11 and '14 Q7 3.0T had/has standard dipstick - not electronic.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
The dipstick in my '11 and '14 Q7 3.0T had/has standard dipstick - not electronic.
From the manual for the '17 it's now electronic.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

From the manual for the '17 it's now electronic.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can only peeked a little under the cover and could not pull it off. I can see the oil filter on the driver side closest to the windshield. Guess I will have to take the car to dealership to change oil.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the new Q7, do you drain the oil out of the oil pan or suck it out of the top of the engine? On my LR4 I use a Mityvac to suck out the oil and the oil filter is right on top of the engine. Oil & filter change takes about 10 minutes and is the easiest and cleanest oil change I have ever done. LR4 also has an electronic dipstick. You need to run the engine then let it sit a while before you get an accurate reading after an oil change.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just did my oil change this weekend myself. I had a '11 Q7 with the 3.0T prior and its very close to the same thing. Only difference is that the air intake is on the top of the engine and you need to take it off to get to the oil filter (still on the top of the engine by engine wall, but the whole intake unit covers it up.

Dipstick is the stupid plastic cover (not a real dipstick), but I changed out my old Q7 with a real one so I assume this would be the same. Did it this time through the MMI and it wasn't too bad.

Also can suck out the oil thru the dipstick and that seems to work pretty well and able to get all the oil out.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wlee69
Just did my oil change this weekend myself. I had a '11 Q7 with the 3.0T prior and its very close to the same thing. Only difference is that the air intake is on the top of the engine and you need to take it off to get to the oil filter (still on the top of the engine by engine wall, but the whole intake unit covers it up.

Dipstick is the stupid plastic cover (not a real dipstick), but I changed out my old Q7 with a real one so I assume this would be the same. Did it this time through the MMI and it wasn't too bad.

Also can suck out the oil thru the dipstick and that seems to work pretty well and able to get all the oil out.

How would I release the two air intake from the engine cover? And how much force do I have to exert to lift the engine cover side above the oil filter? Where is the dipstick located because I am planing to use an extractor to change the oil?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The big air intake on the top of the engine comes off with 2 steps. First if you look at either side in the front (closest to the bumper) you'll see a metal clip that you flip down (like the metal clamps you normally see that releases an air filter housing). Flip those two clamps down and then just pull up...whole thing comes off the top...the two thin rectangular intake pipes coming from the front just slide out.....the oil filler extension needs to be twisted off as well....the round pipes on the passenger side I just left attached cuz both the oil filter and dipstick tube are on the drivers side. Dipstick tube (will just be a black cover that doesn't have the dipstick part) is right at the front part of the engine.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change